Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2211 2212 [2213] 2214 2215 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3580809 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33180 on: November 06, 2019, 01:10:00 am »

Changing gears a little--

More news about Donald and the Giant Impeach

Diplomat revises official statement to investigators, admits quid pro quo for Ukrainian aid.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/05/politics/gordon-sondland-kurt-volker-transcripts-impeachment-inquiry/index.html

Graham refuses to read testimony, asserts "It's bullshit" as reason; further questions if quid pro quo is even impeachable.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/469135-graham-says-he-wont-read-the-trump-impeachment-transcripts

So, looks like "Oh right--- THAT quid pro quo.. Yeah, I remember saying and doing that thing..."

right along with "Nobody got hurt by it, it's bullshit to enforce the rules on this-- besides, what's wrong with shamelessly demanding assistance in upsetting an election using a foreign government as a tool in exchange for military assistance anyway?"

Really, that latter implication just floors me.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33181 on: November 06, 2019, 03:21:38 am »

The onion's coverage is alarmingly accurate.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33182 on: November 06, 2019, 03:32:06 am »

At this point, they should just be asked-- deadpan-- what they consider *IS* an impeachable offense.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33183 on: November 06, 2019, 03:37:12 am »

At this point, they should just be asked-- deadpan-- what they consider *IS* an impeachable offense.

I would not be surprised if one of them straight up responded "being a democrat"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33184 on: November 06, 2019, 03:42:53 am »

I would not be surprised if one of them straight up responded "being a democrat"

Something something Lewinsky.

I guess it's different when it's your daughter doing it instead of an intern? Keeping the privates within security clearance, and all that...

Slightly inverse from when the Aussie politicians tried arguing that the one minister inventing a cushy government job for his mistress was not an example of nepotism; because she technically wasn't family.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33185 on: November 06, 2019, 05:08:15 am »

we have the evidence of history to show that only national health care works

Yeah, this is related to one of the most tired arguments that gets put forth: the argument that if we change Policy X then "terrible consequence Y" will happen, despite lots of places already having implemented Policy X and Consequence Y not having happened in any of them. There are lots of examples, but a couple relevant to America are the idea that National Health will effectively mean Death Squads deciding who lives and dies, and the idea that reducing gun deaths will automatically lead to an equal increase in knife deaths. We have 200 different nations on Earth each with different laws, so each nation is effectively a natural experiment in the general effect of different law options. For example, some people might claim that decriminalizng pot will lead to crazed gangs of youths murdering people with chainsaws. Which is all well and good to speculate on, except for the fact that a lot of places have already decriminalized pot without any such effects occurring.

Most fear-mongering about change is in a similar boat to this. Easily debunked by just pointing at places where they didn't happen. A topical example is fear-mongering about all the bad things that will happen if they bring in UBI (everyone suddenly quitting their jobs). Well, there are nations with universal welfare benefits, equal to around the USA minimum wage for a 40-hour week. And those places aren't in fact plagued by pandemic laziness. Only a small percentage of people are happy to live on just that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:15:04 am by Reelya »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33186 on: November 06, 2019, 08:59:26 am »

Murrica is the best place in the world.  Anyone saying some other place is better then us at anything is wrong, lying, and most importantly fake news.  It ain't never gonna get better then this, unless someone with lots of money and says they are an 'R' tells you otherwise.  (Then you can watch Fox news fall over themselves to walk back on their previous statements.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33187 on: November 06, 2019, 09:54:58 am »

Murrica is the best place in the world.  Anyone saying some other place is better then us at anything is wrong, lying, and most importantly fake news.  It ain't never gonna get better then this, unless someone with lots of money and says they are an 'R' tells you otherwise.  (Then you can watch Fox news fall over themselves to walk back on their previous statements.)
The worst part about this statement? It's deeply ingrained in the Stater mindset. To the point that there is a mountain of research on the subject. It's kinda disturbing, really.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33188 on: November 06, 2019, 10:02:50 am »

Ever since the second world war, when the US learned about the joys of propaganda use on its own citizens, (and the pleasures of controlling the press AND the movie industry for this purpose), the people here have been subjected to this kind of forced reprogramming, and the results are just awful.

I like to chip in with "Yes, the US is definitely #1 at prison population convicted of petty crimes! We are also #1 at exporting parasitic foreign policy to other countries so wealthy people can get even richer! We really gotta do something about those Chinese though, they are working hard to take these titles away from us!" when I am confronted with that drek.  Maybe I am just too much of an asshole.. hmm..

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33189 on: November 06, 2019, 10:23:54 am »

Ever since the second world war, when the US learned about the joys of propaganda use on its own citizens, (and the pleasures of controlling the press AND the movie industry for this purpose), the people here have been subjected to this kind of forced reprogramming, and the results are just awful.

I like to chip in with "Yes, the US is definitely #1 at prison population convicted of petty crimes! We are also #1 at exporting parasitic foreign policy to other countries so wealthy people can get even richer! We really gotta do something about those Chinese though, they are working hard to take these titles away from us!" when I am confronted with that drek.  Maybe I am just too much of an asshole.. hmm..
Oh no wierd, it goes way back, way before that. It dates more or less to the start of the independence process of the US.

Y'see, during the colonial period the colonists saw themselves as "fellow british brothers" to the rest of the British Empire. When they found out, however, that the english saw them as inferiors... things got messy and Stater Exceptionalism was born.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33190 on: November 06, 2019, 10:47:30 am »

I also cringe that politicians think the root cause of high health care is lack of single payer and everyone ignores the regulatory capture that makes it impossible for health care to be a natural market where people should be falling over themselves to create private practices to get some of that sweet healthcare money.

They're paid millions of dollars to ignore regulatory capture, and design more systems to promote it.

Well, one of the problems, per provider count, is that the medical schools have a very limited throughput of doctors, which is very intentional, and keeps salaries high. Unsure if nursing has a similar thing, though I doubt it. Secondly, Rural hospitals have been going under for a damn long time now - moving everyone to a single banner, and formalizing access to health care as a right will likely revitalize rural practices, due to lower administration efforts (Medicare billing is rough, but only one insurance company that way) and said right to access - fed government can likely provide more formal support for rural docs.

Many politicians and lobbyists have the goal of "poor people shouldn't get medical coverage". That's why they fight free clinics, planned parenthood, regulations, reasonable insurance, etc.

If you do that, you'll get some 1984-esque description of things exactly as they are with a dead-eyed stare. The real answer is "fuck off, plebe." The rich people in charge of making other rich people have consequences for their actions aren't going to do anything, because that sets a bad precedent for their own actions having consequences.

More news about Donald and the Giant Impeach

Well done. Everyone can go home, our jobs are done here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33191 on: November 08, 2019, 10:57:52 am »

Since it's kind of a slow period... apparently there's an unusual rate of CEOs cashing out for a period that's not a recession.

The article states that this might mean that they know a recession is coming and are cutting their losses.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33192 on: November 08, 2019, 11:38:21 am »

I also cringe that politicians think the root cause of high health care is lack of single payer and everyone ignores the regulatory capture that makes it impossible for health care to be a natural market where people should be falling over themselves to create private practices to get some of that sweet healthcare money.

They're paid millions of dollars to ignore regulatory capture, and design more systems to promote it.

However the idea of natural markets for health care is ... dangerous. turning it into a "natural" "free market" style approach means we're leaving it up to normal folks to decide whether the treatments they're buying are real or snake oil.

Humans have already shown that they're not very good at deciding whether the products they're being offered are deadly or not. They just don't have enough information to make that decision. There used to be a natural market for treatments. The horrors that ensued are why regulation was brought in. Medical licensing and standards were brought in for the same reason.

Yeah, maybe more small practices is a good idea, but de-regulating the field of medicine isn't the way to go to achieve that. The point of a single-payer is that it levels the playing field without lowering standards and opening the floodgates for "alternative" treatments from any quack who can afford a stethescope.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:47:44 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33193 on: November 08, 2019, 11:51:45 am »

However the idea of natural markets for health care is ... dangerous. turning it into a "natural" "free market" style approach means we're leaving it up to normal folks to decide whether the treatments they're buying are real or snake oil.

Humans have already shown that they're not very good at deciding whether the products they're being offered are deadly or not. They just don't have enough information to make that decision. There used to be a natural market for treatments. The horrors that ensued are why regulation was brought in. Medical licensing and standards were brought in for the same reason.

Yeah, maybe more small practices is a good idea, but de-regulating the field of medicine isn't the way to go to achieve that. The point of a single-payer is that it levels the playing field without lowering standards and opening the floodgates for "alternative" treatments from any quack who can afford a stethescope.

There are other, non-insane, ideas for avoiding regulatory capture as well.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33194 on: November 08, 2019, 11:51:21 pm »

Boomberg files to run as a Democrat in Alabama.

Why do I have the terrible feeling that the DNC is going to back him?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 2211 2212 [2213] 2214 2215 ... 3513