Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2214 2215 [2216] 2217 2218 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3589680 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33225 on: November 13, 2019, 12:07:30 pm »

So the same thing as before, just reskinned?

[immigration concerns intensifies]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33226 on: November 13, 2019, 12:10:28 pm »

I am curious what ecofascism usually manifests as. I know some of the rhetoric (very genocidal sounding, tbh), but am unfamiliar with real world movements. (Let's not link them here though)
I'm wondering myself how it would be different from climate denialism. I've only heard of 'ecofascism' as something thrown at environmentalists, sometimes Greenpeace in particular, so, I don't know what that entails over in Europe.
Ecofascism is the ultimate development of climate denialism, since like all factually false politics there's an inevitable collision with the real world. This is particularly severe in the case of climate denialism. Here's the progression:

* Everyone agrees protecting our shared environment is essential (circa 1970)

* Anti-environmentalist astroturfing, anti-EPA politics, Reaganism

* Fear, uncertainty, and doubt directed at climate change efforts and intentions

* Distraction from climate change, endless war, bread and circuses, Al Gore mockery

* Following 2008 distraction strategies have become unpopular, focus shift to doubting science and uncritical anti-government program stance

* Assertions that climate change isn't happening, and even if it is happening it's a natural event (critical perception shift there, admits that climate change could be real), beginning to take notice of climate disruption <--- YOU ARE HERE

* Ecofascist shift begins, climate change is provisionally real but it's too late to stop it anyway, need to build a "lifeboat state". Will attempt to gain in popularity by supporting domestic climate adaptation measures. Heavy criticism of India and China for "causing this".

* Full-blown shift to anti-migrant measures, demands military violence against migration, focus on need to rapidly reduce resource use by other societies. Return to peak neocon militarism.

* Open genocide rhetoric, need to "cull the human heard", measures to deny resources to other societies by force, implicit or explicit extermination campaign, depending on advancements in biowarfare could seek a sterility virus.

And then everyone dies due to not actually stopping the source of the ecocide as well as leading to global NBC warfare.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 12:12:21 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33227 on: November 13, 2019, 12:17:52 pm »

So in essence, we're all even more doomed then we were otherwise

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33228 on: November 13, 2019, 12:25:13 pm »

It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Don't Care)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33229 on: November 13, 2019, 12:37:15 pm »

Ecofascism is not inevitable. But there needs to be an effort to fight it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33230 on: November 13, 2019, 12:52:08 pm »

Or in summary, ecofascism typically takes the form of your traditional racist/classist rhetoric packaged within the claim that the correct approach to relieving environmental pressures is to cull human population.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33231 on: November 13, 2019, 01:27:36 pm »

It exists. It's basically hardline nationalism, fascism, racism with concern for the enviroment. Oftentimes it blames either Jews or Asians (or both) for the enviromental catastrophe, while it blames miscegenation and immigration for social issues.

Neoliberals?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33232 on: November 13, 2019, 01:28:38 pm »

It exists. It's basically hardline nationalism, fascism, racism with concern for the enviroment. Oftentimes it blames either Jews or Asians (or both) for the enviromental catastrophe, while it blames miscegenation and immigration for social issues.
Neoliberals?
Only if they harp on the "Free Market" fixing everything.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33233 on: November 13, 2019, 05:21:49 pm »

I believe in a pure free market for health care. If your market value falls too low, we harvest your organs and sell them to those with high market value to prolong their life. Think of the beauty of the solution: roving bands of entrepreneurial "surgeons" collecting nature's bounty of under-market-utilized organs from the plebs, and turning them into Value for society.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:23:59 pm by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33234 on: November 13, 2019, 05:43:07 pm »

I believe in a pure free market for health care. If your market value falls too low, we harvest your organs and sell them to those with high market value to prolong their life. Think of the beauty of the solution: roving bands of entrepreneurial "surgeons" collecting nature's bounty of under-market-utilized organs from the plebs, and turning them into Value for society.
Here is hoping no one takes this seriously. Anbrosia LLC was selling the blood of young people to older people until the FDA warned that blood from young donors doesn’t treat aging or memory loss

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33235 on: November 13, 2019, 07:11:01 pm »

your clinic advertised that they take blood from young people to sell to rich people for thousands of dollars?

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33236 on: November 13, 2019, 07:21:08 pm »

I'm glad to finally find a fellow Rimworldterian. Want to create an economy based solely on selling rando-ass raiders as organ bags while we worship the Great Randy in the Sky?

satire if it wasn't obvious.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #33237 on: November 13, 2019, 09:44:37 pm »

Why raid the countryside for organs when you could stay at home while the countryside raids you, taking along their delicious value.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33238 on: November 13, 2019, 10:58:22 pm »

Why raid the countryside for organs when you could stay at home while the countryside raids you, taking along their delicious value.

If you build it...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33239 on: November 14, 2019, 03:54:53 am »

So, the public hearings on The Giant Impeach started today.

Additional testimony about Trump, his communications with Ukraine, his priorities with Ukraine, and how Giuliani fits into the whole sordid affair, came out today.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/11/13/impeachment-trump-public-testimony-kent-taylor-surprises/4178926002/

Trump of course, calls it a "Circus."  (Because being a stickler for the rules is somehow equivalent to a carnival show...)

I am kinda curious;  If trump is fully impeached, and told to leave the whitehouse, do you think he will comply willingly or will they have to remove him with police assistance?
Pages: 1 ... 2214 2215 [2216] 2217 2218 ... 3514