Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2216 2217 [2218] 2219 2220 ... 3512

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3577453 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33255 on: November 20, 2019, 11:20:27 am »

Geeze, the impeachment defense is coming down to splitting hairs nanoscopically..... Also, Trump massively throwing Giuliani under the bus when?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33256 on: November 20, 2019, 11:42:28 am »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33257 on: November 20, 2019, 12:27:48 pm »

a video about the US Census

Somewhat misleading.

While the 10 year census only asks a handful of questions, and is pretty innocuous and has clear and present functions for federal level government, there is also the "basically whenever we want" American Community Survey (or ACS).

The ACS most certainly does ask all kinds of penetrating questions about how consumerist you are, how much you drive, how often you shop online, if you have internet, and a bunch of other things.
The census bureau of course, *INSISTS* that the provision that enables the 10 year census *ALSO* covers the ACS. (Because nobody will challenge that.)

Here's the form for your review.
https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/methodology/questionnaires/2019/quest19.pdf?

Notice how it asks a lot more questions than what Oliver states. Including questions about race, education, income, home ownership, and a bunch of stuff.  True, it does not have questions about roofing materials, like Orange Moron states--- but it does ask way too many questions.  The assertion about "confidentiality" is bogus as well, because that many data points on a single respondent is more than sufficient to de-anonymize the responder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_re-identification
https://mashable.com/article/anonymous-data-sets-easily-de-anonymized/ (which cites a study, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-10933-3.pdf ,  which states that 99.98% of identities can be de-anonymized by correlating 15 datapoints.  There are more than that in the ACS form.)

Further, its reason for existing is this (and I am quoting directly from the census website on this): "The American Community Survey (ACS) helps local officials, community leaders, and businesses understand the changes taking place in their communities. It is the premier source for detailed population and housing information about our nation."

Note how businesses are included here.  This is totally not about getting or losing seats in the house or senate; this is about infrastructure planning, and economic politics.  Those are things totally not intended by the census provision of the constitution. As such, the statement made by the census people about how they are allowed to compel your compliance should not be tolerated.

Quote from: Census website

Is my response to the American Community Survey required?

If your address was selected for the American Community Survey, you are legally obligated to answer all the questions, as accurately as you can. The relevant laws are Title 18 U.S.C Section 3571 and Section 3559, which amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221.

Your answers are important. The American Community Survey is sent to a small percentage of our population on a rotating basis. As part of a sample, you represent many other people. Learn how you can respond to the survey today.

Why is the ACS required by law?

Response to the survey is required by law because the American Community Survey is part of the decennial census, replacing the "long form" that previously was sent to a percentage of households once every 10 years. Learn more about what would happen to the American Community Survey if it was not required.

As you can see, I am rather non-plussed by the ACS, but have no problems with the 10 year census.

The census bureaucrats however, love the shit out of it.  Sorry, this just has me triggered. I really hate the idea that the ACS is considered in the same level of "nationally required for elected government to function" as the 10 year census.  They are not the same thing and serve vastly different roles.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:34:43 pm by wierd »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33258 on: November 20, 2019, 01:10:17 pm »

Thank you for the information. I think the video was talking about the 10 year census. I didn’t know about the ACS

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33259 on: November 20, 2019, 10:25:56 pm »

I saw this picture and I thought for sure that it was just a clever meme:

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33260 on: November 20, 2019, 11:12:31 pm »

(envisions D. Trump writing "I want no quid pro quo!" over and over on Mrs Krabapple's black board, simpsons style.)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33261 on: November 21, 2019, 08:19:41 am »

Also thought it was one of those faked ones. But its not. Amazing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33262 on: November 21, 2019, 08:24:47 am »

What the hell even is this timeline?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33263 on: November 21, 2019, 08:27:20 am »

I really dont know anymore.

The "You're all fucked!" one?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33264 on: November 21, 2019, 09:16:07 am »

I like that the sheet underneath it looks to be an entire piece of paper used to print out a single sentence.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #33265 on: November 21, 2019, 09:26:28 am »

Devin Nunes could give Kellyanne Conway some competition for most annoying political spinner. Every word out of his mouth is a gross misinterpretation of the facts, and he likes to talk a lot.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33266 on: November 21, 2019, 10:01:18 am »

Nunes and Jordan are definitely the most infuriating part of the whole thing. Although Stefanik is definitely frustrating in the part she's played so far. Less frustrating in that she's typically been limited to 5 minutes of speaking at a time.

Really hoping all of them end up dumped from their seats in 2020.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33267 on: November 21, 2019, 10:06:29 am »

Maybe all this exposure of the dickshits in gov't actually will lead to everyone getting canned, and Trump will finally, indirectly, make good on his promise of draining the swamp?

Man, this is some 5D chessgammon strats...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33268 on: November 21, 2019, 10:23:14 am »

Really hoping all of them end up dumped from their seats in 2020.

I read "dumped in the sea". Which is also a solution, I guess.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33269 on: November 21, 2019, 01:31:33 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 2216 2217 [2218] 2219 2220 ... 3512