Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2219 2220 [2221] 2222 2223 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532485 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33300 on: November 22, 2019, 07:38:25 pm »

You are de facto required to carry ID at all times already.

If a police officer asks you for ID, and you do not have ID, they are allowed to find consequences for you.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33301 on: November 22, 2019, 07:56:42 pm »

If a police officer asks you for ID, and you do not have ID, they are allowed to find consequences for you.
Really?

I haven't had ID for years and years and years.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33302 on: November 22, 2019, 08:00:23 pm »

Really?

I haven't had ID for years and years and years.

They usually don't, but yeah they can use it as an excuse. They can't arrest or fine you simply for not having an ID, but IIRC the term is "Failing to identify yourself" and applies to certain situations. I think the laws are "Stop and Identify" or something. Can't look it up right now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33303 on: November 22, 2019, 08:13:08 pm »

walking out the door with no ID is a bigger fear for non-white people. It's actually more dangerous when you give police discretionary powers since they can selectively and invisibly target minorities with "obscure" powers, while the majority go "I don't see what the problem is?". So yeah, Bubba can walk down the street with no ID, no problem. But tell that to Jose.

So yeah, there is definitely a "papers, please" situation, but it's targeted on a minority, at least for now, and the majority support that, as long as it's happening to someone they define as someone else.

As for the opposition to a national ID card, I'd say a big part of that is the statist vs federalist thing. They don't really care about having to carry ID around, because you generally need ID to do stuff, and they like the idea that people with no ID get the state coming down on them, to stop those illegals. But they want the states to issue the ID, not the feds.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:23:21 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33304 on: November 22, 2019, 08:18:52 pm »

Legally, that only applies if they have "reasonable suspicion" that you were involved in a crime, otherwise the 4th Amendment makes any such law illegal (Terry V Ohio and Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada being the governing precedent here). The laws also only say "You must identify yourself, and lying about your identity is a crime". Producing an ID card is not generally required. Of course, half the judges in this area have names like Santiago or Hernandez, so the ability of cops to pull shit is a lot weaker.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #33305 on: November 22, 2019, 08:57:38 pm »

I’m foreign and thus inherently dangerous, so I have to have my ID, specifically my green card, on me at all times, else it’s a misdemeanor immediately.

The amusing thing about it though, as per someone I used to work with who went to the police academy, is that local, county, and state police can’t ask me to prove my immigration status ‘cause it’s illegal.

I’m white though, so I guess it’s less of a problem for me, anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33306 on: November 22, 2019, 09:38:13 pm »

Well the only social skill I ever really picked up was learning how to "be where you're supposed to be" which has a remarkable effect with cops even when they actually catch you doing something, they end up feeling like they need to ask permission to arrest you. I don't know how to explain it better to others than that though, it's the same thing I used to do where I'd wander around the back area of grocery stores or employee areas at parks. Cop pulls me over, they're obviously just in need of help, so I offer assistance and tell them to be careful out there, for me to do something illegal I need to admit the possibility in the first place, no?

Strangely that seems to be what republicans are doing with impeachment btw.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33307 on: November 23, 2019, 02:54:19 am »

I have that too. It's called being white.

A black guy can be talking on his phone in his own back yard and cops will jump over the fence to shoot him. A screaming white man with a gun in a grocery store? Eh, don't rush to judgement, try to talk him down.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33308 on: November 23, 2019, 03:07:23 am »

Not me.  My grizzlebeard with hippy hair engages the "anti-pinko" mode of operation in the more authoritarian of the police force.  I can actually see them silently seething, looking for something-- anything at all, to try and use on me when I get stopped.

I just am so damned squeaky clean, and compliant that they can't, and that seems to make them angrier.  Strange thing.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33309 on: November 23, 2019, 03:37:12 am »

I live in a country that had a dystopian "papers, please" situation for decades. The police used to intentionally screw people over by calling them out of their houses without a chance to fetch their dompas. "Walking while black" was a criminal offence.

We also have mandatory* national ID cards and no-one minds. The context is obviously not exactly the same, but there's nothing inherently dystopian about being required to be able to prove you are who you say you are.

* Not sure if there are actual legal consequences to not having one, but if you don't have one you can't vote, can't write national exams, can't get a drivers', can't get most jobs...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33310 on: November 23, 2019, 10:24:10 am »

I live in a country that had a dystopian "papers, please" situation for decades. The police used to intentionally screw people over by calling them out of their houses without a chance to fetch their dompas. "Walking while black" was a criminal offence.

We also have mandatory* national ID cards and no-one minds. The context is obviously not exactly the same, but there's nothing inherently dystopian about being required to be able to prove you are who you say you are.

* Not sure if there are actual legal consequences to not having one, but if you don't have one you can't vote, can't write national exams, can't get a drivers', can't get most jobs...

When was the mandatory national ID implemented though?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33312 on: November 23, 2019, 11:03:56 am »

Yeah, that's not really a news story. It's a local paper, and the story is that they're applying for the grant. There's no guarantee that the feds will actually end up choosing Iowa State University to receive the grant. It's just a tender, and the story actually says the Feds have put out the tender to at least 6 different universities. The only reason they're spinning how much this will mean for Iowa is that it's an Iowa newspaper.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:07:08 am by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33313 on: November 23, 2019, 11:20:44 am »

Oh, sorry, I will find something more related to the nation as a whole
apparently Trump is ordering park rangers to patrol the US-Mexico border
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:46:14 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33314 on: November 23, 2019, 11:42:30 am »

Seriously? Trump is ordering park rangers to go fight illegal immigrants and the Mexican drug cartels? That's the idiotic stuff that gets people killed. Park Rangers just aren't trained for that work, it's nonsensical.

At best the actual border patrol agents will have to keep these park rangers out of harm's way and supervise them, effectively being counter-productive to have to shepherd people who aren't trained for that work on their temporary assignments.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:45:29 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2219 2220 [2221] 2222 2223 ... 3511