Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2260 2261 [2262] 2263 2264 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592039 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33915 on: January 03, 2020, 10:35:47 am »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33916 on: January 03, 2020, 11:21:16 am »

So, my question is if Putin or Russia get anything out of this.  Is there anything they get out of it?  Sales of weapons to Iran?  Isn't Iran allied to Russia?

Russia might gain in that because of sanctions on Iran, Russia is a major destination for Iranian oil. So, the current situation is that the Iranians are happy that they call sell their oil to Russia at below market rates. So the US-Iran spat benefits Russia economically. If US/Iran relations thaw then Russia loses their special trading status with Iran.

EDIT: realpolitik is also at play. We shouldn't believe for a second someone wouldn't do something to an ally that starts a war between that ally and their enemy. Being on top often means destabilizing other relationships so that yours is the primary relationship. Gotta keep those 'allies' in line somehow. When they start working between themselves - that's a threat. That's also why Trump and Co hate NATO and the EU and the United Nations so much, and also why they oppose regional free trade agreements. They're all networks for countries to sort things out without needing the USA. The nationalist/populists want their to only be one type of agreement - unilateral singular agreements between the USA and individual other countries, and they want to undermine all other agreements between other countries, allied or not.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:42:29 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33917 on: January 03, 2020, 01:44:58 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:59:42 am by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33918 on: January 03, 2020, 02:02:52 pm »

I think this sums up the situation nicely.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33919 on: January 03, 2020, 02:37:23 pm »

No, you see, he's a master negotiator. So him attacking Iran is for the right reasons, and totally not those other reasons.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33920 on: January 03, 2020, 02:46:47 pm »

I thought that was Sean Connery at first glance...
Im pretty sure is actually him, Sean Connery was only one of the many faces and personas used by this guy in his operations all over the planet.
This is dumb but I not only saw Sean Connery, I thought it was an edit of him as Big Boss of Metal Gear. Arguably the world's #1 bad guy, but... well there are a lot of reasons that was a weird connection for me to form. I blame sleepiness.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33921 on: January 03, 2020, 07:16:38 pm »

I thought that was Sean Connery at first glance...
Im pretty sure is actually him, Sean Connery was only one of the many faces and personas used by this guy in his operations all over the planet.
This is dumb but I not only saw Sean Connery, I thought it was an edit of him as Big Boss of Metal Gear. Arguably the world's #1 bad guy, but... well there are a lot of reasons that was a weird connection for me to form. I blame sleepiness.

something something damned fiddle
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #33922 on: January 03, 2020, 07:34:06 pm »

I'd say that someone should get him an eyepatch but he's dead so i guess it doesn't apply.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33923 on: January 06, 2020, 09:17:38 am »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33924 on: January 06, 2020, 12:36:50 pm »

That's nothing unusual for Spike's Tactical. Most of the gun guys I know avoid them (and Palmetto State Arsenal) because of shit like that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33925 on: January 06, 2020, 12:39:20 pm »

My opinion of Ricky Gervais has improved after the Golden Globes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33926 on: January 07, 2020, 05:49:26 am »

Trump's threatening to crush Iraq now, because they voted for US troops to leave, and the White House is already drafting sanctions. Trumps tweet was that Iraq will face sanctions that make the Iranian ones look tame. Unfortunately, he said it so now he's going to have to force it through.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/01/06/trump-administration-begins-drafting-possible-sanctions-against-iraq-following-trumps-economic-threat/

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33927 on: January 07, 2020, 06:59:44 am »

What is he trying to achieve with sanctions? Iraq is not acting unreasonable. Can't he see there might be other ways to approach this? It could start with apologising for drawing Iraq into this mess.

Iran did not start cooperating after Trump cancelled the existing treaties and replaced them with sanctions either. You can not just bully everyone into submission if you disagree.

What a mess.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33928 on: January 07, 2020, 07:37:20 am »

What is he trying to achieve with sanctions? Iraq is not acting unreasonable. Can't he see there might be other ways to approach this? It could start with apologising for drawing Iraq into this mess.

Iran did not start cooperating after Trump cancelled the existing treaties and replaced them with sanctions either. You can not just bully everyone into submission if you disagree.

What a mess.
Apologies are for weak librals! Orange president YUGE and STRONG and not has baby hands!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33929 on: January 07, 2020, 10:34:29 am »

Any chance this convinces even a single Republican senator to remove Trump from office before he causes even more damage?  No?  Not even one?
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 2260 2261 [2262] 2263 2264 ... 3515