Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2264 2265 [2266] 2267 2268 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533393 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33975 on: January 09, 2020, 07:18:52 pm »

I mean ukraine and iran are both part of the USSR right
Yes. This is correct.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33976 on: January 09, 2020, 07:50:34 pm »

It appears that Trump is, thank fuck, still completely spineless. It's too soon to say for sure, but it certainly fits with what people say about his personality.

I suppose the US empire won't be pressing the self-destruct button (made in festive Iranian flag colors) just yet. Pity this will definitely douse Iranian reformists for the next while, but at least they won't be bombed by Air Force nerds with Xbox controllers. If we're lucky.

Anyway, I think there's a good 50% chance the US military shot down the plane for disinfo gains - it's a very convenient fuckup for the Iranian military to make in what was otherwise a surgically precise series of strikes. But we will also probably never know the truth, therefore this speculation is functionally fact.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33977 on: January 09, 2020, 11:36:08 pm »

It's a damned sorry state when you are pretty sure that it wasn't your country that shot down a plane full of civilians, but, like, I kinda could be.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33978 on: January 09, 2020, 11:44:38 pm »

The airliner took off an hour late, at a time when no civilian aircraft were expected to be in the air. The type of missle that appears to have been used is designed to intercept incoming cruise missiles, and has a setting that automatically attacks anything not showing a valid IFF. Civilian aircraft do not carry military IFF transponders.

By far the most likely explanation is that the Iranians set their antimissile defenses to automatic in case the US decided to retaliate for the pro-forma BM attacks  after all, and did not expect a civilian aircraft to fly into the area.

Meanwhile, the plane was far out of range of anything the US owns, and Iran isn't claiming to have picked up anything in their airspace. Had they detected a US aircraft, they would have assumed it to be on a strike mission and tried very hard to shoot it down.
The odds against this being a false-flag are so high that only a certfied paranoid lunatic would embrace the idea.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33979 on: January 10, 2020, 12:05:44 am »

The odds against this being a false-flag are so high that only a certfied paranoid lunatic would embrace the idea.

I'm sure Trump will tweet about it soon, if not contact a foreign minister about opening an investigation about it... ;)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33980 on: January 11, 2020, 05:09:51 am »

Iran admitted to accidentally shooting down the airliner and even went so far as to apologize for it and called it an "unforgivable mistake".

I would expect, if they thought they could have covered it up, they would have kept denying, but the evidence was stacking up.

Despite that though, I do think this is a good opportunity for all sides to take a second and calm down. Not that I expect the moment to last, but it's an opportunity nonetheless.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33981 on: January 11, 2020, 05:30:54 am »

Iran admitted to accidentally shooting down the airliner and even went so far as to apologize for it and called it an "unforgivable mistake".

I would expect, if they thought they could have covered it up, they would have kept denying, but the evidence was stacking up.

Despite that though, I do think this is a good opportunity for all sides to take a second and calm down. Not that I expect the moment to last, but it's an opportunity nonetheless.
I hope we take the opportunity. I worry that with world relations as they are, a declaration of war would place everyone in WW3

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33982 on: January 11, 2020, 07:37:29 am »

I hope we take the opportunity. I worry that with world relations as they are, a declaration of war would place everyone in WW3

And then afterwards, the world experiences another era of prosperity, there's another baby boom, sowing the seeds for a future era of impoverishment, strife, and Boomers^2.

Assuming the world just doesn't end outright!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #33983 on: January 11, 2020, 07:39:55 am »

The cycle. Pure. Infertile.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33984 on: January 11, 2020, 08:00:27 am »

The cycle. Pure. Infertile.
The Train of War forever running