Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2273 2274 [2275] 2276 2277 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590729 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34110 on: January 16, 2020, 10:28:44 am »

*shrug* I guess I prefer a world where you're free to do whatever, even if it isn't a good idea. And yes, I fully know that's very difficult to implement :)

I mean people doing Darwin-award stunts aren't a good idea, but I think people should be free to do them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34111 on: January 16, 2020, 10:50:24 am »

Sure, so long as it's only themselves who have to suffer the consequences.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34112 on: January 16, 2020, 11:31:39 am »

Eh, that's a non-starter though. There is no such thing as any activity that doesn't have consequences for other people.  I agree though that there is a difference in degrees of impact - it's hard to make any universal rule because of this.

I mean consider someone doing jackass stunts; they are going to get hurt and use healthcare resources that could be used by someone else.  They are going to put themselves out of work and so change overall social productivity.  They may get really hurt and cause mental health issues for other people.  On the flip side, jackass stunts entertain people, so maybe it lowers overall stress in society... yeah I know that's different than putting 100 or 1000 people out of a job.  But in the long run...hard to say...

Everything is connected....

Also - a local optimum is not necessarily a global optimum....

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34113 on: January 16, 2020, 12:06:39 pm »

I mean consider someone doing jackass stunts; they are going to get hurt and use healthcare resources that could be used by someone else.  They are going to put themselves out of work and so change overall social productivity.  They may get really hurt and cause mental health issues for other people.  On the flip side, jackass stunts entertain people, so maybe it lowers overall stress in society... yeah I know that's different than putting 100 or 1000 people out of a job.  But in the long run...hard to say...

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34114 on: January 16, 2020, 12:07:05 pm »

*shrug* I guess I prefer a world where you're free to do whatever, even if it isn't a good idea.

Are we talking about stock buy-backs still? The point I think is that "free to do whatever" only works when it's your own money and you're affecting yourself. Being a CEO and using stock buy-backs to gut a company to enrich yourself from stock options is basically like if you lent your car keys to someone because you trusted them to pick up your kids, but then they decided to trash your car and sell it for parts because they're "free to do whatever".

Set fire to your own car? Sure, free to do whatever. Set fire to a car you've been lent? Not free to do whatever. Lending someone the car keys doesn't mean it's their car. Similarly, the CEOs in these company-gutting cases aren't the owner of the company, they're trustees.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:24:33 pm by Reelya »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34115 on: January 16, 2020, 01:01:02 pm »

I guess I naively believe the SEC already has laws against such insider pump-and-dump mergers-and-acquisition schemes.  But I guess if we do have laws they are full of loopholes or are not enforced.

So, sure, fix the laws. I just think carte-blanche banning stock buybacks is a questionable tool.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34116 on: January 16, 2020, 02:32:27 pm »

The fake feud is actually useful. It makes Warren and Bernie make the news without making anything they say all that controversial.

It's the same thing that got Trump the presidency; fake outrage that just acts to increase their notoriety.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34117 on: January 16, 2020, 02:39:49 pm »

The fake feud is actually useful. It makes Warren and Bernie make the news without making anything they say all that controversial.

It's the same thing that got Trump the presidency; fake outrage that just acts to increase their notoriety.
Ikr, it's all manufactured controversy. We all know in 4 months they're going to release a joint single to makeup before dropping their hot new albums on the back of the feud

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34118 on: January 16, 2020, 02:44:31 pm »

Sanders doesn't drop CDs...

He Berns them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34119 on: January 16, 2020, 02:46:51 pm »

I'll just be glad when all the Warren stops and we see peace again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #34120 on: January 16, 2020, 03:04:21 pm »

You’ll be Biden your time then.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34121 on: January 16, 2020, 03:47:13 pm »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34122 on: January 16, 2020, 04:36:23 pm »

I guess I naively believe the SEC already has laws against such insider pump-and-dump mergers-and-acquisition schemes.  But I guess if we do have laws they are full of loopholes or are not enforced.

So, sure, fix the laws. I just think carte-blanche banning stock buybacks is a questionable tool.
They were banned until the SEC legalized them in 1982 under Reagan on the questionable premise that letting companies do this, along with lots of other sketchy sounding shit, they would generously spread the wealth around.

Fool me dozens of times, shame on you, fool me dozens more times... well, next time you'll probably do right by me.

More in depth look over how it's just a completely fucked situation for everybody except the handful in a position to skim off the top and bail: https://hbr.org/2014/09/profits-without-prosperity

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34123 on: January 16, 2020, 05:09:11 pm »

Stock buybacks provide at least one useful service. They allow companies that made the mistake of moving moving to a publicly traded company, undo that mistake and revert to private ownership.

There are at least a few examples of companies that were at one point declining, and arguably failing, under shortsighted shareholder leadership, and once the company reverted to private ownership and they could look at the long term again, turned things around to become effective companies again.

(The Dell computer company is one that sticks in my mind.)

I personally think the problem here isn't stock buybacks, it's that we allow easy trading of stocks(and all the more speculative shit that's really really sketchy magic money on paper that goes on) on an open market at all. The point of owning stock in a company shouldn't be looking to see how you can turn it around and sell it for a profit as quickly as possible, it should be as a share of earned profits and voting rights to help steer the direction of the company in order to help increase those future earned profits.

I'm not saying a certain amount of trading is wrong. But once you buy stock in a company, you should be locked in with the fate of that company for a certain amount of time just to guard against people doing sketchy shit like intentionally running a business into the ground for short term profits and the false appearance of value.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34124 on: January 16, 2020, 05:15:54 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:03:47 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 2273 2274 [2275] 2276 2277 ... 3514