Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2276 2277 [2278] 2279 2280 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3580401 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34155 on: January 18, 2020, 09:43:55 am »

I assumed either through battle or through marrying into the human population so that their children could have the rights via jus sanguinis.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34156 on: January 18, 2020, 09:49:02 am »

I assumed either through battle or through marrying into the human population so that their children could have the rights via jus sanguinis.
Ah yes, the classical mode of gaining political power and agility: Fucking a parrot.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34157 on: January 18, 2020, 09:57:06 am »

Ah yes, the classical mode of gaining political power and agility: Fucking a parrot.

It's not my place to question the ways of Agrabah.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34158 on: January 18, 2020, 10:05:42 am »

trial by combat
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34159 on: January 18, 2020, 01:04:50 pm »

I'm trying to conceptualize a world where an electronics-based AI asserts rights.  We're going to have debates about electronics "healthcare" and access to repair services.  Can you put an AI to jail for copyright infringement when it accesses information online.  What would it mean for an electronic AI to own property, since an electronic AI is essentially immortal.  What about when an electronic AI copies itself?  Does it have to act like a parent?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34160 on: January 18, 2020, 01:13:09 pm »

Planned obsolescence.  Make them pay to be able to copy/transfer over to a new body/hard drive.  That data storage can't be something small and probably needs yuge processing power.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34161 on: January 18, 2020, 01:25:17 pm »

I think we're destined towards a more cynical conclusion to the debate: that sentience is another tool specialized for a certain task. Rather than extending rights to machines, humans are redefined as biological machines and rights are the reward for utility. Genetic manipulation creates better creatures (not necessarily humans) with greater intelligence, and therefore greater sentience, each breed with a custom tailored body to fit its environment. Machine AI's aren't seen as being in competition, but rather as compliment to biological Sentience, as the natural partner towards universe-wide conquest.

As the planet's death draws closer, increasingly extreme philosophies of pragmatism and utilitarianism have to be embraced, and that naturally leads to the sacred ideas of selfhood, humanity, life, etc, having to be turned into tools to accomplish the harder task of preserving civilization, defiling what it means to be a 'living thing' so that the greater mass of movement formerly known as 'life' can keep existing.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34162 on: January 18, 2020, 01:39:30 pm »

I think we're destined towards a more cynical conclusion to the debate: that sentience is another tool specialized for a certain task. Rather than extending rights to machines, humans are redefined as biological machines and rights are the reward for utility. Genetic manipulation creates better creatures (not necessarily humans) with greater intelligence, and therefore greater sentience, each breed with a custom tailored body to fit its environment. Machine AI's aren't seen as being in competition, but rather as compliment to biological Sentience, as the natural partner towards universe-wide conquest.

As the planet's death draws closer, increasingly extreme philosophies of pragmatism and utilitarianism have to be embraced, and that naturally leads to the sacred ideas of selfhood, humanity, life, etc, having to be turned into tools to accomplish the harder task of preserving civilization, defiling what it means to be a 'living thing' so that the greater mass of movement formerly known as 'life' can keep existing.
I’ve been thinking along similar lines, that we are a type of machine, our senses being inputs, our brains converting said inputs into outputs. Life being machines made of proteins

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34163 on: January 18, 2020, 02:17:02 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:03:55 pm by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34164 on: January 18, 2020, 05:15:46 pm »

we're already telephats if obesity rates are anything to go by

... on a less typo jesting note, any text capable phone already meets most criteria for telepathy. Invisible communication over a distance, where you have no need to see or directly interact with the other communicants at all. Texting isn't very good telepathy, or particularly high speed or high functioning, but... functionally, it's basically low-fi telepathy. There's a lot of stuff we do that would be indistinguishable from magic to someone from a few hundred years back.

There's a lot of stuff that matches one to one with many or even most descriptions of magic -- the arcane gestures and terminology, the strangely shaped objects causing miraculous effects, the constructs of all sorts, so on, and so forth. Many people on this planet are, unambiguously, fukkin' wizards. It's just we're also in a flaccid cyberpunk future so it's largely kinda' banal and operation is as tedious as all that shit fantasy writers and P&P dms tuck away out of sight. We're wizards, but the system's borderline vancian and we don't get to just say "eight hour rest" and get all our spell slots back.

Well. Wand charges would probably be more accurate, but eh.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:20:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34165 on: January 18, 2020, 05:46:56 pm »

I put on my robe and wizard hat
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #34166 on: January 18, 2020, 06:37:50 pm »

One might suggest, in the realm of American politics, that is a bad idea.

Unless you’re in the South.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34167 on: January 18, 2020, 07:03:28 pm »

One might suggest, in the realm of American politics, that is a bad idea.

Unless you’re in the South.
One one hand I want to put this in the OOC thread. On the other hand, the quote by itself already gives all the needed context.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34168 on: January 18, 2020, 07:15:03 pm »

TRIAL BY STONE

Also, I felt like crying watching the netflix Dark Crystal stuff, if you were a fan as a kid, seriously why haven't you seen it yet?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34169 on: January 18, 2020, 07:20:03 pm »

In a world machines and AI gets rigths the only planned obsolescence will be ours.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 2276 2277 [2278] 2279 2280 ... 3513