Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2277 2278 [2279] 2280 2281 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590222 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34170 on: January 19, 2020, 08:21:06 am »

My dad was just telling me about a gentleman he knows who is pretty low on the economic ladder.  And said gentleman tends to use pawn shops for short-term cash for some reason.  To the tune of 25% interest per week.

Forget about the big corporate overlords - this and things like pay-day lending are some real evils of the low income world. How is stuff like this legal?  This is the stuff that occasionally makes it to the mainstream media, but not often enough.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34171 on: January 19, 2020, 08:50:10 am »

Generally, this is because the people who are living on pawning or pay-day loans are focused on survival, and have no power to fight against the systems which exploit them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34172 on: January 19, 2020, 09:17:41 am »

For what it's worth, pay-day loans actually are illegal in some states.

But basically yeah, the people that shit preys on tend to be too beat down and desperate to fight back :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34173 on: January 19, 2020, 09:21:14 am »

Every time the places get.shut down, they find some loophole that lets them open up again.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34174 on: January 19, 2020, 09:22:51 am »

But, it's also a symptom of the problem rather than the disease. People shouldn't HAVE to resort to those sorts of loans to survive. Some level of that sort of shit is always going to happen with people making bad choices and all that. But at the level of people just trying to pay bills and keep food on the table, it shouldn't be necessary in an ideal world.

Those loans are also inherently very risky. I'm not saying it has to be as high of an interest rate as they make it to be, but lower the reward for the loan companies too much and they'll just stop giving out loans to those sorts of people. Which isn't necessarily helping anything.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34175 on: January 19, 2020, 01:44:40 pm »

We'll see what kind of loopholes the fuckers can find with a Sandersite DoJ breathing down their necks. Plus, once their victims no longer feel tempted by them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34176 on: January 20, 2020, 01:24:00 pm »

I am in Richmond VA like, a mile away from where that big gun rights rally is going down.

Seems thankfully tame so far. Only problem I'm aware of is some jackass trying to sneak up on top of one of the nearby building roofs with a backpack. He had no guns or weapons, he apparently just decided to go up there.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34177 on: January 20, 2020, 01:34:24 pm »

Warren took a DNA test, it shows she very likely has a native american ancestor, but at most she's personally 1/64th indian, so 6 generations ago for a full indian ancestor. But you don't have to be 100% Indian to identify as an Indian. She could have had a great-great-grandparent who was 1/4 Indian but identified with their Indian ancestry.

Considering DNA testing is nearly as accurate as astrology, that's not exactly a reasonable explanation.

How disappointing must it be to be wiped out by a species that eats laundry detergent out of boredom

I wouldn't do it myself, but I would convince others to do it for my entertainment. Plus, it's not that crazy. Did you know it's made from the same materials as candy?

I assumed either through battle or through marrying into the human population so that their children could have the rights via jus sanguinis.
Ah yes, the classical mode of gaining political power and agility: Fucking a parrot.

Black Mirror lied to me yet again?

Planned obsolescence.  Make them pay to be able to copy/transfer over to a new body/hard drive.  That data storage can't be something small and probably needs yuge processing power.

True. You can't tell if someone is a person, until they're treated as significantly less than human by capitalism.

My dad was just telling me about a gentleman he knows who is pretty low on the economic ladder.  And said gentleman tends to use pawn shops for short-term cash for some reason.  To the tune of 25% interest per week.

Forget about the big corporate overlords - this and things like pay-day lending are some real evils of the low income world. How is stuff like this legal?  This is the stuff that occasionally makes it to the mainstream media, but not often enough.

Usury laws, like most regulations, were nerfed or removed because in the long term they're bad for the consumers they're intended to protect profits.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:40:36 pm by Iduno »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34178 on: January 20, 2020, 04:02:13 pm »

I am in Richmond VA like, a mile away from where that big gun rights rally is going down.

Seems thankfully tame so far. Only problem I'm aware of is some jackass trying to sneak up on top of one of the nearby building roofs with a backpack. He had no guns or weapons, he apparently just decided to go up there.

According to the gun guys I know, rallying there today is a long standing tradition (because today is an important part of the legislative calendar in Virginia, not because of MLK day). It is a lot bigger this year because the current legislature is trying to use their slim majority to ram through a lot of measures that are not particularly popular, and also because the governor did attempt to ban all pro-gun groups from organized political activity (by declaring them illegal militia), but there's still a strong familiarity to it. This means that the cops have lon-standing procedures and a strong confidence that there isn't going to be any trouble.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34179 on: January 20, 2020, 04:04:20 pm »

Yeah it's practically a tradition to have a gun rally of some kind of MLK day.

This time there were some specific threats about violently storming the government buildings, and the local government reacted by banning all firearms from the gun rally. This peeved the gun rally folks off, and it looks like they didn't actually enforce any of that, so it ended up being a regular gun rights rally.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34180 on: January 20, 2020, 04:10:27 pm »

It is a little more complicated than that. When Northam first declared the state of emergency and the associated carriage ban (which is technically illegal under Virginia law), police officials openly stated that they had received no threats and that they didn't support the governor's actions. It wasn't until after that that the arrests happened. In other words, there was a valid threat (specifically, a neo-Nazi group who's stated goal is to increase polarization until civil war breaks out was planning to open fire on the protest in order to widen the gap between pro-gun and anti-gun people), but there's not much evidence the governor was aware of them when he made his proclamations.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34181 on: January 20, 2020, 04:15:02 pm »

That was my impression as well. Northam's folks seem to be almost deliberately antagonizing pro-gun folks.

I hadn't heard about the neo-Nazi group's involvement there, but I believe it. I DID hear some idiot rumors that Antifa was totally going to show up you guys and shoot up the rally pretending to be gun rights supporters and everyone should panic immediately. Which sounds like the kind of cowardly bullshit a neo-Nazi group might spread about.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34182 on: January 20, 2020, 04:23:45 pm »

The biggest reason that the democrats have their slim majority is that anti-gun groups funded almost entirely by Michael Bloomberg funneled a ludicrous amount of money into campaign ads in key districts. They're in a position where failing to push on gun control could lose them their majority (because their margin was gained on that issue), but just ramming through bills could also lose them their majority (because it could easily piss enough people off to flip a few districts). So the result is demonizing the pro-gun population while trying to marginalize them.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34183 on: January 20, 2020, 06:57:06 pm »

Fucking cowardly pieces of shit are going to crawl into the chambers tomorrow, most likely line up to suckle on Mitch and Trump nutsack sweat, and prove once and for all that of the 53 assholes supposedly elected to govern wisely, not a one is willing to even pretend they have a spine.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 2277 2278 [2279] 2280 2281 ... 3514