Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2278 2279 [2280] 2281 2282 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3583839 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34185 on: January 21, 2020, 07:57:22 am »

Heh, I was going to point out that gun rights activists weren't really protesting on Martin Luther King day at all, due to Virginia not celebrating MLK day.  But that was based on mistaken information from my mother who grew up there (believing that).  They didn't *actually* abstain from the national holiday... they just chose to celebrate both Lee *and Stonewall Jackson* on that same day.

I'm sure that was as much a coincidence as the gun lobby choosing this "legislatively important" sliding date for an annual protest.  But in 2000 they decided it looked bad, for some reason, and moved Lee-Jackson day to three days prior.  So that's fully cleared up.  They still celebrate guns, but the Confederate commanders got bumped slightly earlier.

Sarcasm aside, polling is showing public support in Virginia for these very basic gun reforms like background checks.  The election was a sweep, giving them the mandate.  You can blame Bloomberg's money, but what's the argument there?  Candidates who take campaign contributions have no mandate, so they shouldn't legislate?  Because if you want campaign finance reform, I fully support that, 100%.  Just not selectively.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34186 on: January 21, 2020, 08:39:49 am »

Heh, I was going to point out that gun rights activists weren't really protesting on Martin Luther King day at all, due to Virginia not celebrating MLK day.  But that was based on mistaken information from my mother who grew up there (believing that).  They didn't *actually* abstain from the national holiday... they just chose to celebrate both Lee *and Stonewall Jackson* on that same day.

It's just generically "Confederate Heroes Day" here.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34187 on: January 21, 2020, 08:57:18 am »

/beginangrypointlessrant
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
/angrypointlessrant

sorry...

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34188 on: January 21, 2020, 09:11:48 am »

@sluissa:  that is a good example why I prefer performance-based rules, not implementation-based rules.  Don't outlaw guns, outlaw misuse of guns.

Also yes, I realize my view is "idealistic" and that we live in a world of compromise, which is why I understand and accept the  proactive aspects to things like background checks or limited availability of weapons that help avoid misuse of guns.

But any time you make laws so specific (color of plastic? really?) then you are bound to end up with loopholes and "overreach" and all that kind of stuff.

Another less controversial example is the banning of CFL lights, which is a technology, instead of just saying something like "you have to pay an environmental impact fee which scales with watts per lumen".  Or on the flip side "the government can only buy lamps with X watts per lumen or less" rather than saying "the government must by LED lamps".   That is - you tie the rule to performance, not a specific type of something.

My favorite example of this is in my state where you pay glass bottle and can deposits not based on the material of the bottle/can but on the content of the container.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34189 on: January 21, 2020, 10:23:36 am »

Just to note, I've seen nothing that says they're specifically going after black plastic guns. But definitions of "Assault weapons" are typically based on largely superficial features like pistol grips, bayonet lugs, and barrel shrouds. And people ARE specifically going after the AR-15 which is known for it's plasticy/painted look which defaults to a dark grey or black color. While other guns out there, that are mechanically similar/the same but styled differently are getting a pass.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34190 on: January 21, 2020, 10:32:54 am »

Pistol grips? You mean foregrips? Pistol grips aren't an attachment, they're part of the gun's design.

And also they're great, which is why they're kinda standard

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34191 on: January 21, 2020, 11:11:37 am »

Pistol grips? You mean foregrips? Pistol grips aren't an attachment, they're part of the gun's design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34192 on: January 21, 2020, 11:20:04 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

Um. Okay...

So the BAR technically isn't an assault weapon? Brilliant list. Good going, lads.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34193 on: January 21, 2020, 01:55:29 pm »

/beginangrypointlessrant
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
/angrypointlessrant

sorry...

@sluissa:  that is a good example why I prefer performance-based rules, not implementation-based rules.  Don't outlaw guns, outlaw misuse of guns.

Also yes, I realize my view is "idealistic" and that we live in a world of compromise, which is why I understand and accept the  proactive aspects to things like background checks or limited availability of weapons that help avoid misuse of guns.

But any time you make laws so specific (color of plastic? really?) then you are bound to end up with loopholes and "overreach" and all that kind of stuff.

One almost wonders if, for some reason, the creation of the laws is performative and the laws themselves are intentionally useless and full of loopholes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34194 on: January 21, 2020, 02:08:32 pm »

I think there may be a fundamental flaw with American lawmaking in that it is too easy to have a horrible case of feature creep due to the rounds of revision laws undergo.

I don't have a better idea, though. Simply requiring that laws cross the gauntlet all in one go or else get scrapped entirely doesn't seem right.

Perhaps it comes down to game theory. If it was somehow possible to make "writing efficient laws through science and consensus" more immediately rewarding to lawmakers...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34195 on: January 21, 2020, 03:41:13 pm »

Re: Impeachment Trial

The upside is it looks like Trump has either fired every legal expert in the whitehouse that's competent, or he's left them with absolutely nothing to work with. The White House side is choking on the opening statements.

Not that the House managers have done a perfect job, but they've at least got logic on their side.

Not that it will change anything. The final decisions are made, it's just a fight over how long they're going to let people grandstand over it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34196 on: January 21, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »

I mean, I'm hoping this is the last big hurrah of hateful white folks before they grumblingly accept their new majority-minority status, we can wake up from this 4 year nightmare with a new president, new electoral maps, and start impeaching judges mcconnell rammed through where necessary and appropriate so perhaps we can start working on addressing root causes of things like spree shootings or at least dismantle the terrorist cunts who cheer it on like the NRA.

I was surprised to see some of the senate motions to ram through a maximally streamlined trial failed but Mitch is still being a big ole' bitch and insisting a cover up is the best way to do things.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34197 on: January 21, 2020, 04:03:43 pm »

https://www.techspot.com/news/83623-joe-biden-calls-game-developers-little-creeps-who.html

It's the kind of careful thinking and wordsmithing I've come to expect from Uncle Joe.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34198 on: January 21, 2020, 04:06:35 pm »

I mean, I'm hoping this is the last big hurrah of hateful white folks before they grumblingly accept their new majority-minority status, we can wake up from this 4 year nightmare with a new president, new electoral maps, and start impeaching judges mcconnell rammed through where necessary and appropriate so perhaps we can start working on addressing root causes of things like spree shootings or at least dismantle the terrorist cunts who cheer it on like the NRA.

I hope so, too, but I'm guessing we'll end up with one of the two current lead right-wingers doing more of the same.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34199 on: January 21, 2020, 04:16:43 pm »

Damn but I hate Biden. He a creepy out of touch asshole, and Trump would eat him alive in an election.

Can't wait for the established Dems to get him the nomination via back-room fiat T_T
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 2278 2279 [2280] 2281 2282 ... 3513