Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2313 2314 [2315] 2316 2317 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3579930 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34710 on: February 11, 2020, 09:14:03 am »

The push against leftism in the US was an active, concerted effort during the cold war era that absolutely has had its effects stick around into the modern day. McCarthyism and the Red Scare in general were pretty damn big deals.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34711 on: February 11, 2020, 11:06:18 am »

The main problem is not being too right or too left, which in itself when it happens is indeed a problem.

I see the main problem around the globe is people being too idiotic. Blunt and simple right? People seem to takes politics like it was a football game (I mean the real football, the one with the foots and the balls, not the one with the hands and the oval, but I digress and guess that the analogy applies to any sport).

Anyway, yeah people tend to become fanatics (willingly or unwillingly, with or without realizing it) of a party, and worst of it, a single person of the party. You name it, Bush, Obama, Chavez, Stalin, Trump, Hittler, Merkel, Guaido, Bolsonaro, anyone, the end result is the same, despite the ample or few flaws they can have, the fanatics don't see them. "There's no way we can be better than right now". There's no way other party/person can further improve anything. Even "smart" people that might be fully rational regarding any other topic. People will outright ignore any faults in their own party or candidate and be oblivious to any improvement anyone else can offer, which is far more aggravating when the faults are big as a train and in plain sight. At this point some people might rethink but the real fanatics will start to make up excuses and it's all a slide down from there.

We don't need better candidates (not that we have to spare), but we definitively need better voters. In all democracies around the globe.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34712 on: February 11, 2020, 12:41:14 pm »

I'd like to announce my candidacy.

I'm running on a platform of making better voters.

Now, this will not be easy, I admit. I would like to do it through education of the proper facts and better access to news. (Only proper news though, none of that fake news.)
I admit, that will be difficult, and likely very expensive. So I have an alternative plan if that falls through, it'll be a long term plan where we encourage voters we know are good voters to form relationships and raise up a new generation of also good voters while discouraging bad voters from reproducing. Obviously being a long term plan, it will take a while to see noticeable effects, so to prevent being discouraged, I suggest we make an immediate effort to gently encourage bad voters to simply stop voting. Now, there are multiple ways to do this, disenfranchisement, emigration, but obviously the most final solution is simply to... ahem... dispose of them.

Now, there's a big hole in the plan yet to be addressed. What counts as a good voter or a bad voter? Well, I'm glad you asked. A good voter is one that votes for me.

:D

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34713 on: February 11, 2020, 01:31:56 pm »

Sounds messy and ineffective. Why don't we just make good voters using brain implants constructed by ambient nanofactories?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34714 on: February 11, 2020, 01:42:14 pm »

Once we get advanced, sentient AI with rights as living things, the term 'voting machines' will have a new meaning.

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #34715 on: February 11, 2020, 01:46:22 pm »

No riot can stop us. The unruly drones will be nerve stapled. Order shall be restored.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34716 on: February 11, 2020, 02:10:13 pm »

Rioters can only be looters and degenerates that need to be put down and thrown into a dark cell without any legal recourse as we work through this heinous attack on the very fabric of our society.
*Blocks all respectable media coverage.*
*Shuts off internet service and cell phone service in the area.*
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34717 on: February 11, 2020, 03:28:28 pm »

I'd like to announce my candidacy.

I'm running on a platform of making better voters.

Now, this will not be easy, I admit. I would like to do it through education of the proper facts and better access to news. (Only proper news though, none of that fake news.)
I admit, that will be difficult, and likely very expensive. So I have an alternative plan if that falls through, it'll be a long term plan where we encourage voters we know are good voters to form relationships and raise up a new generation of also good voters while discouraging bad voters from reproducing. Obviously being a long term plan, it will take a while to see noticeable effects, so to prevent being discouraged, I suggest we make an immediate effort to gently encourage bad voters to simply stop voting. Now, there are multiple ways to do this, disenfranchisement, emigration, but obviously the most final solution is simply to... ahem... dispose of them.

Now, there's a big hole in the plan yet to be addressed. What counts as a good voter or a bad voter? Well, I'm glad you asked. A good voter is one that votes for me.

:D

Bad news: authoritarianism.
Good news: hunger solved.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34718 on: February 11, 2020, 05:11:23 pm »

Either...

Republicans are not the only racists in government.

Or...

Democrats aren't racist, but are willing to promote racism under their banner for a modest fee.

Which is the worse implication? I don't even know. But one of these statements must be true.

Link
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34719 on: February 11, 2020, 05:22:21 pm »

Bloomberg is just another billionaire living partially in a reality he made up himself, no better than trump.

Why he wasn't pelted with half-rotten tomatoes on even floating the idea of running I'll never know.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34720 on: February 11, 2020, 05:30:26 pm »

I for one would like to congratulate the DNC on picking Michael Bloomberg as their blood sacrifice to appease the Bern and find salvation for their sins.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34721 on: February 11, 2020, 06:36:11 pm »

Oh nooo the dems are just politicians who parrot ideals for votes ahh who knew oh nooo.

Bern em' at the stake.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34722 on: February 11, 2020, 06:50:15 pm »

Has bloomshit even gotten any endorsements or anything from the DNC side things? Last I paid attention he was entirely self-funding and basically fucking anyone can call themselves democrat and run as one.

Though apparently he also is the one currently doing best in head to head polling vs trump, because reality hates all of us or something I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34723 on: February 11, 2020, 07:02:58 pm »

Bloomberg is just ad-bombing the entire country for name recognition, no poll with him should be taken as representative. Most people probably have no conception of who he is, hell, even a politics nerd such as I forgot all about him until he started this nonsense.

If Bloomberg went against Trump, Trump would win a minimum of 40 states, no question.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34724 on: February 11, 2020, 07:08:36 pm »

Quite the opposite. Bloomberg has close to the highest name recognition among candidates, which would normally be a major problem for his competition. The problem for him is that those same polls give him an extremely low approval rating - in other words, everyone knows who he is, and they hate his guts.

The best explanation for why he's running that I've seen is that he's trying to set himself up as the Godfather of the Democratic Party. Running for President lifts a lot of restrictions on how he can use his money politically, so he's hoping that he can later take credit for a D victory at the Presidential or Congressional level - at least one of which is very likely to happen this year. He's been dumping money into state-level elections for a long time, although he usually has to do so through heavily astroturfed organizations.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2313 2314 [2315] 2316 2317 ... 3513