Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2315 2316 [2317] 2318 2319 ... 2576

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1588590 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-Voodoo Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34740 on: February 13, 2020, 12:47:22 pm »

Bloomberg is now trying to get his name and message out to the youth via the most effective way possible; dissemination through INSTAGRAM MEMES
Spoiler: cringe ahead (click to show/hide)

So this is the power of unlimited money...

LOL wtf this can't be real. I mean even if these are legit screenies that staffer is laying it on thick.
Fuck violins.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34741 on: February 13, 2020, 01:05:30 pm »

I'd viral that
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34742 on: February 13, 2020, 01:21:12 pm »

"I have 61.9 billion dollars."

"I'm actually feeling much better."

Kek.
Quote from: Rumi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34743 on: February 13, 2020, 01:28:21 pm »

Meanwhile, the FAA has issues a NPRM that will basically require all remote controlled aircraft (the exemption is "anything less than 250g" yes, 0.55 lbm, not a typo, which is laughable) to be registered and either broadcast directly or via wi-fi location, ID, and barometric pressure while in flight to some contracted database provider.  If you don't want to do this and have an "amateur-built" aircraft, you will only be able to fly in "designated zones" that can only be approved within 36 months of the rule taking effect (the wording is ambiguous, but makes it look like they won't approve of new zones after that).

And even within the designated zones only allow a 400ft flight radius from the "person operating the controls"; any more than that and you'd have to have the broadcast capability (And even better: if you have a model that has to have broadcast capability - because it's commercial not homebuilt - you have to broadcast even while in a designated zone).  Oh and if something goes wrong with the internet or whatever, you are supposed to land immediately. So no having fun in the park if there's a power outage or the cell towers are out.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34744 on: February 13, 2020, 01:44:13 pm »

What is the point of this?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34745 on: February 13, 2020, 01:44:36 pm »

On the one hand, that seems silly.

On the other, an exhaustive list of people I know in real life with a remote controlled aircraft matching those restrictions:

Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34746 on: February 13, 2020, 01:50:41 pm »

Bloomberg is now trying to get his name and message out to the youth via the most effective way possible; dissemination through INSTAGRAM MEMES
Spoiler: cringe ahead (click to show/hide)

So this is the power of unlimited money...

It's a good enough fake that they didn't go with any obvious jokes.

Meanwhile, the FAA has issues a NPRM that will basically require all remote controlled aircraft (the exemption is "anything less than 250g" yes, 0.55 lbm, not a typo, which is laughable) to be registered and either broadcast directly or via wi-fi location, ID, and barometric pressure while in flight to some contracted database provider.  If you don't want to do this and have an "amateur-built" aircraft, you will only be able to fly in "designated zones" that can only be approved within 36 months of the rule taking effect (the wording is ambiguous, but makes it look like they won't approve of new zones after that).

And even within the designated zones only allow a 400ft flight radius from the "person operating the controls"; any more than that and you'd have to have the broadcast capability (And even better: if you have a model that has to have broadcast capability - because it's commercial not homebuilt - you have to broadcast even while in a designated zone).  Oh and if something goes wrong with the internet or whatever, you are supposed to land immediately. So no having fun in the park if there's a power outage or the cell towers are out.

Yeah, enough people have done stupidly illegal shit with them that it's unsurprising they want to register them.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34747 on: February 13, 2020, 01:57:21 pm »

Quote from: Iduno

Yeah, enough people have done stupidly illegal shit with them that it's unsurprising they want to register them.
That makes sense

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #34748 on: February 13, 2020, 02:09:05 pm »

It's a good enough fake that they didn't go with any obvious jokes.
It ain't fake, buddy
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34749 on: February 13, 2020, 02:14:33 pm »

The problem is massive barriers to entry and discouragement of recreation.

I mean the examples the NPRM gives for trying to stop are things like people overflying the World Series or using a drone to drop propaganda.  The registration requirement isn't going to stop someone from home-building a drone to do those things.  It's not going to stop someone from flying a drone without identification.

The real reason for the system is because of all the shipping companies who want to use drones to deliver packages; they need much more low-altitude air traffic data than is currently available.  So basically this is regulatory capture to enable the drone-delivery people to do their thing, screw the kid who wants to fly an RC plane in their backyard (because backyards cannot, by the terms in the NPRM at least, be a designated area; only "community based organizations" can request a designation).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34750 on: February 13, 2020, 03:24:34 pm »

On the flip side, with how prominent drone photography is, I would not be surprised if such a database is used to attempt to get people to shell out money for attempting to take drone photography of poeple's stuff.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34751 on: February 13, 2020, 03:43:20 pm »

Oh, they certainly aren't going to regulate it well, or fairly. But they've been given plenty of good excuses to regulate it. Smuggling drugs/weapons into prisons and ramming a landing plane aren't small potatoes.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34752 on: February 13, 2020, 03:51:45 pm »

Almost all of the public comments on that proposed drone rule are negative. Although in the summary of the meetings they've held with organizations, they seem to specify when a group has been supportive, but are more ambiguous about groups I'd expect to be critical of the proposed rule.

Personally, I'll keep flying my little drones(which are small enough they're probably exempt) around either way. I don't take them higher than treetop level anyway and I don't stray over other people's property.

I doubt enforcement will be going after people that don't make themselves a nuisance. But it is a pretty shitty rule that sounds like it's entirely in big business's favor.

I think the clear issue of "people doing illegal things with drones" isn't going to be fixed by just making more laws. The people doing illegal things obviously either don't know or don't care that they're doing illegal things. I'd start with making it a licensed activity. Not necessarily a "go through x amount of hours of training with an instructor" type of licensing. Just a "Here, read this, and then take this online quiz to test the knowledge." sort of thing for small recreational drones. It'd at least help with some of the people who simply aren't aware of the rules. Laws aren't going to stop people from doing the obviously illegal things like smuggling stuff into prison or ramming other aircraft. But education might help with some of the instances where they were just being stupid.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34753 on: February 13, 2020, 05:03:10 pm »

Actually this might be wholly aimed at Amazon's drone delivery service.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34754 on: February 13, 2020, 05:07:07 pm »

It might well be aimed at the Bez OS, but like most laws will instead be used to murder black people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2315 2316 [2317] 2318 2319 ... 2576