Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2329 2330 [2331] 2332 2333 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3588869 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #34950 on: February 22, 2020, 09:03:03 am »

I mean... it does kinda' occur to me russia is pretty demonstrably (UK) willing to just kill people on foreign soil, and bernie getting "natural causes" at some point is... something we wouldn't even be able to guarantee wasn't natural, what with the whole friggin' geriatric thing he's got going. In a sense, bernie probably is the weakest non-GOP candidate, from a health perspective :-\

Just as a generic thing I wonder what the plan is (especially for bust folks), if bernie just up and dies (or is indefinitely hospitalized) between now and November. I know we've had major primary contenders (and probably explicit general candidates) keel over part way through, but I don't remember how it's played out in the past or what extent a repeat could be expected now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34951 on: February 22, 2020, 09:13:20 am »

Bernie will endure. The average age for a cardiac disruption requiring a stent is 45, and as it so happens Bloomberg has had them for 20 years and his evil still endures. Hell, worst case scenario we can just rip out Dick Cheney's stolen heart and give it to Bernie.

More importantly though, a person's health decline in old age is aside from cancer usually determined by their rate of activity. Staying mentally and physically active makes the difference between forgetting who your kids are at 70 and waking up one day to make yet another chair at 95 with faculties intact, if rather wrinkled. Of course, Bernie was a pretty bad carpenter, but I think his current hobby of overturning the US oligarchy is much more successful!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #34952 on: February 22, 2020, 09:49:50 am »

Sanders is a war criminal who supports the military industrial complex. He signed off on missiles and barrel bombs that right now rain down on Yemen. He sure fuckin' doesn't sound like he minds the oligarchy

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #34953 on: February 22, 2020, 09:53:40 am »

That's... I don't even know what to call it. Much folly. You are not unaware that the reality of world politics is a a competition for power. Other countries do not have your best interests at heart. Fuck, they probably don't even have your interests at heart at all.

And you believe that our politicians do have our best interests at heart?
I'm just saying that whatever lies and slander foreign powers are spreading over social media, our own presidential candidates do the same thing twice as bad and we respond by voting to give them power over us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34954 on: February 22, 2020, 09:55:31 am »

Sanders is a war criminal who supports the military industrial complex. He signed off on missiles and barrel bombs that right now rain down on Yemen. He sure fuckin' doesn't sound like he minds the oligarchy
Spearheaded the only organized effort in Congress to defund the Saudi's genocide in Yemen, but go off king
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34955 on: February 22, 2020, 10:18:56 am »

That's... I don't even know what to call it. Much folly. You are not unaware that the reality of world politics is a a competition for power. Other countries do not have your best interests at heart. Fuck, they probably don't even have your interests at heart at all.

They certainly have at heart better interest of yours than Putin.
Love, scriver~

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #34956 on: February 22, 2020, 10:35:09 am »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34957 on: February 22, 2020, 10:43:18 am »

They certainly have at heart better interest of yours than Putin.

Sorry, but I think that's a little naive.  They have more in common with each other than they do with us.  They have more to gain from coordinated engineering of a global culture of learned helplessness, subservience, divisiveness, and confusion for shared benefit in that struggle than they do from worrying about the well-being of their own citizens.  The only counter-point is the allure as a world leader of the nation one leads being more powerful than another's, and those games are still played for sure.  But I have no doubt that they're willing to lay those games aside at any time for shared interest.  You can see this with the case of Julian Assange, for example.

The foremost struggles of the day are class and environment, and they are global struggles.  Rising in intensity everywhere.  The sides in this struggle are the people vs the ultra-wealthy and those who serve them, which includes politicians.  And while the people are locked within borders, the ultra-wealthy have near unlimited ability to pick up and put down wherever they please, cultivate simultaneous operations for their own interest all over the world, and act as unfathomable black holes of influence on whatever land they touch.  You really think the Walmart family cares whether America or China is more powerful?  Of course not.  Their position as the richest family in the world is dependent on the slavery conditions of both Chinese and American workers, and the economic capture of American consumers.  The only sense in which they'd want America and China to care about conflict with each other is as an excuse for their governments to proliferate totalitarian infrastructure under the guise of global political conflict, which can then be aimed at keeping workers in both countries in line.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34958 on: February 22, 2020, 10:53:10 am »

I mean, the actual difference is it's a lot more feasible to metaphorically or literally strangle a politician on this side of the Atlantic. Heart matters less than accountability, and the latter's a lot easier without hundreds or thousands of miles of ocean between you and them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34959 on: February 22, 2020, 11:14:25 am »

I mean, the actual difference is it's a lot more feasible to metaphorically or literally strangle a politician on this side of the Atlantic. Heart matters less than accountability, and the latter's a lot easier without hundreds or thousands of miles of ocean between you and them.

Well, I mean, you do share the Alaskan border with them after all. It's not that far away.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34960 on: February 22, 2020, 11:38:53 am »

The appearance of corporate players and the different rules that globalisation enables them to play by does not somehow mean that state governments and figures no longer matter, Salmon.

(And you're very wrong about climate being a global struggle -- it is very much a struggle between states, which I'm surprised you haven't already realised since I'm fairly certain you follow the political developments relevant to it)
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34961 on: February 22, 2020, 08:26:50 pm »

It appears that Sanders snagged/will-snag a good chunk of Nevada's delegates today, placing him in the lead.

Votes are still being tallied but it looks pretty strong for sanders so far.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-primary-elections/nevada-results
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:28:55 pm by wierd »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34962 on: February 22, 2020, 08:31:37 pm »

Multiple calls for Bernie from the networks, he's giving his victory speech right now. What remains to be see is if the others are at all viable, and if Bernie breaks 50% in a 7-way race.

According to exit polls, Bernie won around 50% of all Latino voters and around 75% of all voters under 44. Unreal.
No Gods, No Masters.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34963 on: February 22, 2020, 10:27:40 pm »

Maybe it's a good sign that this election will energize young voters in general.  Everyone's feeling the Bern.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34964 on: February 22, 2020, 10:48:53 pm »

One excellent sign is that New Hampshire broke the 08 turnout records for their primary - though it was on both sides. Trump broke the Republican record even near-unopposed.

That said, the best sign is Bernie's volunteer machine. If we must knock every door in America between now and November, we will.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2329 2330 [2331] 2332 2333 ... 3514