Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2333 2334 [2335] 2336 2337 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3594344 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35010 on: February 25, 2020, 01:41:34 am »

Did you miss the part where he hosted a show on RUSSIA TIMES (Russia's main propaganda network)?

Quote from here

In reality, Assange’s 2012 show “The World Tomorrow” was produced separately from RT and only picked up for airing by that network, in exactly the same way as Larry King’s show has been picked up and aired by RT. Nobody who isn’t wearing a tinfoil pussyhat believes that Larry King is a Russian agent, and indeed King is adamant and vocal about the fact that he doesn’t work for RT and takes no instruction from them.

USA's corporate media networks also frequently push propaganda.  Does that mean everything they air is propaganda and everyone who hosts a segment on one of them is a U.S. propaganda agent?

Where he condemned the Panama Papers leak as "Putin Bashing"?

Looked this up.  Are you referring to this interview?  He didn't condemn the Panama Papers.  He complemented the work.  His criticism was of their up-front declaration that they would never publish the majority of the documents they had obtained.

Al Jazeera: The head of the ICIJ - coincidentally is another Australian - Gerard Ryle. I think it's fair to say you're not on great terms. He said that the ICIJ has no plans to release the full data set. He said: "We're not WikiLeaks. We're trying to show that journalism can be done responsibly."

Julian Assange: Yeah that's a concern. We're very pleased about the work that SZ (Suddeutsche Zeitung) - did in the beginning in developing that source. We think that's really good work. The work of the source of course is the most impressive and then pulling together that collaboration is also impressive work.

Saying that you're going to censor and not release a lot of the material, in fact what must be 99 percent of the material, that's a big problem. It's fine to have some kind of staggered release because you want to balance the supply and demand curve. But what I want to hear is that there is a path, a transparent path to publishing the vast majority of that data set because that's what's interesting from a legal perspective, from a historical perspective.

One of the fundamental missed lessons of the WikiLeaks experience is about how to deal with scale. OK, one part of dealing with scale is stitch together a big international collaboration, get more bodies, more eyeballs on the material. The other way to deal with scale is that scale is inherent in the material. When you've got millions of documents, you need to make millions of documents available, citable so it's not just a few hundred journalists, it's all the lawyers in the world, it's all the police in the world.

Al Jazeera: As someone who pretty much wrote the book on multi-media outlet collaborations - you knew that this stuff was coming. When you saw the first wave, the first two or three days of reporting, what stood out for you and what did you not see that you thought you would in the reporting?

Julian Assange: Well we've been covering offshore sector for a long time since 2007. In fact, WikiLeaks has used the offshore sector for protection from banking blockades so we even had to research it for our own purposes. But in terms of the initial angling of the story, that can be a bit strange. There was clearly a conscious effort to go with the Putin bashing, North Korea bashing, sanctions bashing etc. I didn't think that was necessary for that story, it's not as if the blowback from the US DoJ or the US State Department needs that kind of political protection but for some reason some papers, like The Guardian, thought that that was necessary.

Your focus on him using the words "Putin bashing" is extremely narrowly cherry-picked, because if you look at the whole of the comment (bolded by me), it's not like his comments are anything especially focused on Putin or Russia.  And he's only being asked to comment on what his thoughts were regarding the first 2 to 3 days of reporting.

Or the part where his escape plan from Equador was a permanent diplomatic post in Russia.

So are you going to say that Snowden is a Russian agent next?

Did you miss the fact that Wikileaks just coincidentally released new "damning" information on Clinton every single time she was polling well, and never published a thing on Trump? 

Why would they?  Trump's an open book.  There's nothing to leak.  His entire life is an unmitigated disaster of corruption and debauchery that he doesn't make serious or competent efforts to hide or deny.  The mainstream media reported on it non-stop for the entire election season, and the free publicity is a large part of what handed him that election.

"Why would he support Trump when he's an anti-authoritarian?" has a simple question - HE IS NOT AN ANTI-AUTHORITARIAN AT ALL AND IS LYING TO YOU.

*eyes roll out of skull and on down the street*

Nevermind that he's done more damage to the world's most powerful unaccountable authoritarian structures than any other single person in decades, and is so hated by them for it that politicians and corporate pundits have repeatedly made public calls for him to be black-bagged or assassinated, sentiments I've never seen in my lifetime weighed against any other journalist, and had been pulling international strings to bury him for years before 2016.

Not only has Wikileaks published plenty of info damaging to Russia, but the Courage Foundation, a fundraising trust founded by Wikileaks for the defense of whistleblowers and journalists, has Pussy Riot on their advisory boardSome of the most high profile Russian dissidents of the past 20 years, one of whom Putin has literally tried to have assassinated.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:43:26 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35011 on: February 25, 2020, 02:05:57 am »

Aside from Assange's character, if anyone is killed for whistle blowing, journalism, or declassifying documents, that - as the article Salmon posted says - really isn't good for justice on a global scale.

The only place I see an argument for it is with declassifying military secrets, even then, an independent actor is different from a spy.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35012 on: February 25, 2020, 02:19:07 am »

I'm a radical believer in transparency.  There are very few legitimate reasons I recognize for an organization that is democratically elected and funded by a population and supposedly works for that population's interests to then turn around and keep secrets from them.  In the case of military, yeah, there's operational details.  But then, every single war in modern history has been built on some kind of lie that could not have functioned without secrecy.  Get rid of the secrecy and you get rid of the one argument for needing secrecy.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35013 on: February 25, 2020, 07:36:13 am »

...By losing the next war
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35014 on: February 25, 2020, 08:45:14 am »

Like we've "won" any war in the last 20 years?  They're not even approached that way anymore.  They're just indefinite operations set up as an excuse for the military-industrial complex to burn money, and they're all based on lies that would have never worked without more transparency.

Not necessarily. He did reveal some information that should not have been hidden, and thus might deserve clemency. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about St. Assange, the noble defender of Truth who can do no wrong.

Also, I don't believe that he can do no wrong.  Everybody does wrong.  Everybody.  And I have no idea what he's like interpersonally.  There's many conflicting opinions and accounts out there.  As there are about any nearly any person alive.  But every historical hero you can think of had personal flaws that get overlooked, because of the work they did.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:14:18 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35015 on: February 25, 2020, 10:23:07 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35016 on: February 25, 2020, 10:28:53 am »

I just read his toga pattern as "LELELELE" and I have no plans for changing that perception.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35017 on: February 25, 2020, 10:32:07 am »

It's memes then is it?!?!

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35018 on: February 25, 2020, 10:51:06 am »

Like we've "won" any war in the last 20 years?  They're not even approached that way anymore.  They're just indefinite operations set up as an excuse for the military-industrial complex to burn money, and they're all based on lies that would have never worked without more transparency.

If this is the cost of winning, imagine the cost of losing ;)

No but seriously wars aren't stopped by being incompetent at waging them.

It's memes then is it?!?!

Is this the figure skater who killed her rival?
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35019 on: February 25, 2020, 10:55:47 am »

No, had her husband hit her in the knee with a pipe or something to take her out of the competition.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35020 on: February 25, 2020, 10:56:26 am »

I had the misfortune of walking through Walmart today, and I had to kill time so I was browsing the books section, and I come across something that stupefied me:

https://www.amazon.com/God-Trump-2020-Election-Christians/dp/1629996653

I didn't flip through it, just reading the jacket was already too much for me to handle. My mind is just blown at the blind reverence thrown at the man. Does supporting the man require being deluded, or is it optional?

One of my coworkers is a Trump Supporter, and I know I have too strong a hatred towards the man to maintain a semblance of respect for that position, though I did ask what they found appealing, and the gist of it was "Oh, he's building the wall to keep out foreigners, and I got some money back in my tax returns." And I wanted to criticize, but I just changed the subject; really no point in arguing with a fifties+ older gal.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:03:35 am by JoshuaFH »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35021 on: February 25, 2020, 11:00:33 am »

What I find hilarious is that American religious conservatives have been waiting for their political messiah forever. And this is what they got, a man that literally could not be further from God. Lol.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35022 on: February 25, 2020, 11:10:58 am »

Is he, though? Trump is the exemplar of all they want in a messianic President. The only thing they could ask is that he try to bring back "AIDS is God's Wrath". He's exactly what American conservative Christians are actually like, pious in the pews and peaking up teenage girls' skirts on their way out the door.

Also, I have some uh...news on the Biden Cognition Watch. I'm no doctor, but fuck does that look bad. It might be the worst yet, and I think it could qualify as the "time travel" wierd said to look out for last time we discussed this. I also went back and watched some older Biden interviews, and it is a sharp division compared to today.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35024 on: February 25, 2020, 11:29:19 am »

The short answer is that delegates are assigned to different areas of the state, so over and underperformance can lead to disparate outcomes. See the reverse in Nevada, where Pete got shut out of most delegates due to trailing Biden.

However, please note that Iowa is currently being recounted. Bernie may have his due there yet. One delegate was also never committed before the recount started.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2333 2334 [2335] 2336 2337 ... 3515