Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2356 2357 [2358] 2359 2360 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534875 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35355 on: March 10, 2020, 12:23:32 pm »

Ever since the republicans began openly courting racists following Nixon's Southern Strategy and the playbook Reagan made from it, suffice to say the idea of being a black republican voter in the south has been utterly absurd for a half century or so.

To make up for it, the Democrats have also been openly courting racists for as long as I can remember. The Democrats want to take voters from the far right, not from the left. And, despite that being repeatedly shown to be a losing strategy, they've doubled down on it.
But mah moderate Christian anti-abortion swing voters!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35356 on: March 10, 2020, 12:42:20 pm »

Don't worry, in a few months we'll be telling Trump voters that Joe Biden needs their help to expand Obamacare and return to normalcy, and we'll know in that moment that we made the right choice.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:34:20 pm by WealthyRadish »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:39:16 pm by wierd »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35358 on: March 10, 2020, 07:27:15 pm »

Ever since the republicans began openly courting racists following Nixon's Southern Strategy and the playbook Reagan made from it, suffice to say the idea of being a black republican voter in the south has been utterly absurd for a half century or so.

To make up for it, the Democrats have also been openly courting racists for as long as I can remember. The Democrats want to take voters from the far right, not from the left. And, despite that being repeatedly shown to be a losing strategy, they've doubled down on it.
Democrats back in the days of Lincoln were known proudly as the party of racists, they were literally open and proud about fighting against enfranchising former slaves.

Then reconstruction was ended by a weak candidate making a bargain to get support for the electoral win. Later republicans and democrats went through various periods where they were both fighting in different ways to broadly improve the situation for everyone until finally civil rights came up as a winning issue for democrats and in response to the impetus from the southern strategy you got reagan piling christian rightwingers on top of a group frightened by demographic change.

We'll be better off once the diehard republican base of old white dudes thins out and they're left trying to get undereducated whites to vote alongside the biblethumpers against what I'm going to term "the brown wave" as we become a true majority-minority nation.

Got more covid-19 cases showing up, several in government, Trump is still saying it's gonna go away, still seems to prefer no testing and having people not report negative results for some reason. Acting like lack of word about cases is the same as lack of cases.

He's gonna be responsible for thousands of deaths by the end of the month I fear.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35359 on: March 10, 2020, 07:41:58 pm »

I'm getting calls from our shipping customers asking what we are doing to safeguard our packages from Covid-19 today.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35360 on: March 10, 2020, 08:11:12 pm »

So, uh. Night's not gone well for sanders, primary wise. Apparently.

Looks like I get to write in "not these geriatric shits" for florida's primary, though, since bernie's campaign is pretty much whooped yet again :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #35361 on: March 10, 2020, 08:35:44 pm »

Tulsi can still win this!!!1!!1
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35362 on: March 10, 2020, 09:30:57 pm »

I mean hey, theoretically. All it would take is the rest of the candidates dropping out or dropping dead.

Which isn't as unlikely as I'd like, so. I guess put your gabbard bets on "visit from horsemen of the apocalypse". Will it be pestilence or death?!

E: Also yang has endorsed... biden. Yeah, stick a fork in sanders, he's just kinda' done. Bleh.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:50:14 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35363 on: March 10, 2020, 10:04:58 pm »

Mondale 2020. Yuck.
Not here at the moment

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35364 on: March 10, 2020, 10:53:23 pm »

Now the big question is, who is Biden getting for VP.

I think Kamala or Abrams would be smart, younger, black, female.

Hopefully he doesn't tap some unknown cardboard cutout like Hillary did with Kaine... who the fuck was that guy again?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35365 on: March 10, 2020, 11:02:39 pm »

He was the messiah of tiberium, brother. Kaine lived, if shortly.

E: Not going to lie, there's some small part of me that legitimately misses the opportunity to have been making nod jokes for the last four years. Like, all the other stuff has larger parts and emotions beyond a dull longing, but that one piece is dedicated to just that. Might have gotten a nod sticker for my wallet or somethin', I'unno. I would have accessorized.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:06:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #35366 on: March 10, 2020, 11:05:20 pm »

Biden and the other Biden.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35367 on: March 11, 2020, 12:01:49 am »

E: Also yang has endorsed... biden. Yeah, stick a fork in sanders, he's just kinda' done. Bleh.
??? That's just weird.

Ok, so apparently the reasoning was "I'm backing whoever the democratic nominee is." Right, but wasn't this a little early to call it, then?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:10:32 am by Quarque »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35368 on: March 11, 2020, 12:23:03 am »

??? That's just weird.

Ok, so apparently the reasoning was "I'm backing whoever the democratic nominee is." Right, but wasn't this a little early to call it, then?

While tonight is depressing, I do feel like everyone's forgetting the 1 v 1 Biden/Bernie debate coming up on March 15.  A debate alone against Bernie where he has to speak half the time?  With his record and melting brain?  There's no way Biden won't take a miserable beating there.  And maybe voters won't care and it won't effect further state primaries at all.  But if any debate is likely to have an effect, it would be that one.  And 65% of delegates are still up for grabs, right?  Unless Wikipedia hasn't been updated with tonight's results yet.

Also am I getting it right that Biden's lead in popular vote is 5%, but his lead in delegates is 10%?  I hate this shit.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:25:05 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #35369 on: March 11, 2020, 01:07:20 am »

Pardon an Australian jumping in here, but Sanders isn't dead yet, is he? He could still beat Biden and get elected over Trump, right?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 ... 2356 2357 [2358] 2359 2360 ... 3511