Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2388 2389 [2390] 2391 2392 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3581690 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35835 on: March 26, 2020, 11:40:24 am »

It is at this point in time almost impossible to predict what will happen in the election. With a crisis this huge, things could swing radically in any and all directions.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35836 on: March 26, 2020, 11:49:18 am »

Biden doesn't have an energized base. He doesn't even have a base. What he has is the structures of power instructing the public to vote for him, in order to avoid Bernie.

But do not forget: It took 30 years, three campaigns, and the entire force of the media and American oligarchy to make Joe Biden, rapist and segregationist, win a single primary.

Bernie's support is with those you actually need to win the election - those who do not vote, those who are alienated from the political establishment, and also nearly every demographic under the age of 40.

Biden might be made President, if he remains technically living enough to be awarded it, but it will be an award - even Trump earned his victory more than Biden ever could. It will be a victory of vast uncontrolled forces happening to array against Trump, a victory of black swans. And if Trump manages to get that UBI thing passed somehow you can say goodbye to even that possibility.

The fact that Bernie has done as well as he has with everyone with power to throw around trying to get ride of him demonstrates his viability. Joe Biden had to be literally given Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Bloomberg's campaigns to get anywhere.

Just remember: Trump is good news for the powers that be. Biden is merely acceptable news. The help that he's been given will evaporate should he survive to become the nominee, and go over to the White House instead.

Have fun winning an election with just boomers. However many are left by November, that is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35837 on: March 26, 2020, 12:02:24 pm »

I agree with MSH. The only reason Biden is viable is he inherited the voters from everyone else that everyone else wanted first. His lackluster campaign reminds me a lot of when John Kerry ran.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35838 on: March 26, 2020, 12:11:20 pm »

As someone who works as an election employee and has worked at every single election - local, primary, or general - in the last 5 years, let me assure you that you could win any election in the country if you had the support of all the elderly because they're the only ones who vote (they are, coincidentally, a disproportionately large number of the election workers as well, but that's because the long hours but decent pay are well-suited to retired folks needing supplemental income). By almost absurd margins.

Recently when I working in an election a fellow employee, who was balding, and was comparatively one of the young'uns there, commented to me about how many incredibly old people were there voting. His tone indicated that he grouped himself with me rather than they. It's not even impossible that he was in fact closer to me in age than he was to them.

Have fun winning an election with just boomers. However many are left by November, that is.
I really hope we're not going to perpetuate the myth that the only people at risk are boomers. In a study, over 50% of adults in West Virginia was thought to be in an at-risk category for COVID-19, the most vulnerable state in the nation. Not because of an overabundance of elderly, but because of smoking, asthma, Black Lung.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #35839 on: March 26, 2020, 12:16:27 pm »

1. Biden has the same base the democrats have had for the last 30+ years, even if you hate them they still exist.

2. People who don't vote are already "priced in" to politics, so to speak. We don't need them, because they don't vote. This is not something new, it's not like young people stopped voting in the last 4 - 8 years, young people have never reliably voted. Remember: trump won the election by ~77,000 votes last election. We don't need some sudden surge of new voters to beat some insurmountable mountain of trump support, we just need a few people who hated clinton to vote and a few people who finally realized what a dirtbag trump is to not vote.

3. Yes, everything is a conspiracy against sanders just like the fake news conspiracy against trump. Let me ask you this, if the wealthy elite oligarchy that secretly runs the world hates freedom so much... why aren't they republicans? Why even have a viable democratic party? If it's all some giant conspiracy to trick people into thinking they have a choice why would they ever let sanders win even if he got the most votes? If they are willing to rig the polls why did they let him get as far as he did instead of choking him the cradle, so to speak? We're really getting into pizzagate-tier territory here.

4. As for "just boomers" I'll leave this quote from quinnipiac university as of march 9th:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fake edit:

I agree with MSH. The only reason Biden is viable is he inherited the voters from everyone else that everyone else wanted first. His lackluster campaign reminds me a lot of when John Kerry ran.

And if sanders had inherited those voters instead it would have been because of his great leadership and excellent campaigning skills, and proof that he's the superior candidate of course.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35840 on: March 26, 2020, 12:27:27 pm »

To be honest the election is a million miles away in any case. Look at the trendlines for this crisis and tell me honestly you can predict what's going to happen in a month? Much less eight months.

Don't we have a Stimulus bill to be arguing over, anyway? And unemployment numbers! No, worse, those aren't unemployment numbers, those are unemployment claims. Which specifically ignore part-timers, self-employed, etc. etc.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35841 on: March 26, 2020, 12:32:04 pm »

At a minimum they would have gone to the guy that was handily beating all other candidates up to that point.

Yes, everything is a conspiracy against sanders just like the fake news conspiracy against trump. Let me ask you this, if the wealthy elite oligarchy that secretly runs the world hates freedom so much... why aren't they republicans? Why even have a viable democratic party? If it's all some giant conspiracy to trick people into thinking they have a choice why would they ever let sanders win even if he got the most votes? If they are willing to rig the polls why did they let him get as far as he did instead of choking him the cradle, so to speak? We're really getting into pizzagate-tier territory here.

What, you think all rich people who have less interest in democracy than getting their way all belong to the same secret club? Now who is huffing conspiracy theories. Michael Bloomberg isn't Rupert Murdoch isn't George Soros isn't Jeff Bezos, even though they're all insanely rich and use their money to buy influence.

And I think you have to be completely blind to not see how the media not so subtlety and repeatedly tried to sideline Bernie, literally talking around his numbers because they didn't fit the narrative.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35842 on: March 26, 2020, 01:08:47 pm »

3. Yes, everything is a conspiracy against sanders just like the fake news conspiracy against trump. Let me ask you this, if the wealthy elite oligarchy that secretly runs the world hates freedom so much... why aren't they republicans? Why even have a viable democratic party? If it's all some giant conspiracy to trick people into thinking they have a choice why would they ever let sanders win even if he got the most votes? If they are willing to rig the polls why did they let him get as far as he did instead of choking him the cradle, so to speak? We're really getting into pizzagate-tier territory here.

Pizza-gate was made up from nothing.

The complaints about how the Democrat primaries are based on verifiable trends in the media, leaked documents showing Democrat ties to that media, verifiable money-following, things upper-tier Democrats have openly stated to the public, and a court case where the DNC's defense was literally "we're a private corporate with no obligation of fairness to the voting public."  It wasn't "there was no rigging".  It was a big "fuck you voters".

You can argue that stuff is misinterpreted or exaggerated in significance all you want, but to call it pizza-gate tier is grossly dishonest.

Also, there was never a conspiracy against Trump.  There was a conspiracy FOR Trump, organized by the Clinton campaign & DNC that gave him shitloads of free publicity.  Let me just share that for the 3rd time in this thread.  One of these times it's going to stick.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:12:12 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35843 on: March 26, 2020, 01:20:37 pm »

Guillotines anyone? Or would you prefer sausage machines?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35844 on: March 26, 2020, 01:42:10 pm »

Guillotines anyone? Or would you prefer sausage machines?

You want to drain the meat of the blood first (you can render the blood for further use, however), so I'm going to go with "first one, and then the other."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35845 on: March 26, 2020, 01:53:14 pm »

Heh, the US government just put a 15 million dollar bounty on Nicolás Maduro's head, they want to arrest him, and 14 others for 'narcoterrorism'.

EDIT: not his actual head, 15 million dollar reward for information that leads to his arrest.
EDIT2: additionally, there's another 10 million dollar reward for information leading to the arrest of vice-president Diosdado Cabello, and others close to the president, like the minister of Defense and the head of the Venezoelan supreme court.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:56:43 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35846 on: March 26, 2020, 02:15:30 pm »

I feel like bounties on rival heads of state... even heads of state that are arguably hostile... without being in a full on war, is probably not a great idea.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35847 on: March 26, 2020, 02:34:00 pm »

What even sparked putting bounties on the Venezuelan heads of state?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35848 on: March 26, 2020, 02:43:40 pm »

Putting bounties on heads of state is usually bad practice indeed, conventions about diplomatic immunity etc.
Must be said that there are few countries left in the world that recognize Maduro as president of Venezuela.
What even sparked putting bounties on the Venezuelan heads of state?
According to US minister of Justice, William Barr, 'Maduro has turned his country into a criminal organistation, using it's airforce bases to smuggle cocaine into the US'.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:49:05 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35849 on: March 26, 2020, 02:47:59 pm »

Venezuela continues to commit the horrid crime of not being a puppet state of the US. Personally, I think they should get a crash nuclear program as soon as possible, unlike Iran they don't have much else to deter US aggression.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2388 2389 [2390] 2391 2392 ... 3513