Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2398 2399 [2400] 2401 2402 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3591002 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #35985 on: April 03, 2020, 07:40:15 am »

I think he was still suggesting that segregation was a good thing as recently as last year.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35986 on: April 03, 2020, 07:58:33 am »

I say we do the old "government-by-games-gladiatorial" but instead of each other, all presidential candidates must be pit against a tiny coughy boi
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35987 on: April 03, 2020, 08:27:21 am »

The boy would be outnumbered

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35988 on: April 03, 2020, 08:43:03 am »

I say we let the volcano god decide. Whichever one the volcano god deems worthy and returns to us shall be our new ruler and reunite the nation. Until then, we form small peaceful communes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35989 on: April 03, 2020, 08:46:18 am »

I say we let the volcano god decide. Whichever one the volcano god deems worthy and returns to us shall be our new ruler and reunite the nation. Until then, we form small peaceful communes.
small peaceful communities sound great

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35990 on: April 03, 2020, 09:06:25 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:26:06 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35991 on: April 03, 2020, 09:09:05 am »

I dunno how you'd enforce "peaceful" but as I've said before, I'd be all for some sort of world agreement that says you aren't allowed to have a government that controls more than X people.  Once you get to some number of people, you have to split into two entities.  You can have agreements between these entities, but no entity can pass laws that govern the other entity.

I would put the limit at maybe 30 million people.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35992 on: April 03, 2020, 09:10:45 am »

I dunno how you'd enforce "peaceful" but as I've said before, I'd be all for some sort of world agreement that says you aren't allowed to have a government that controls more than X people.  Once you get to some number of people, you have to split into two entities.  You can have agreements between these entities, but no entity can pass laws that govern the other entity.

I would put the limit at maybe 30 million people.

I'd cap it closer to 100k. It's more difficult to care about people you'll never meet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35993 on: April 03, 2020, 09:13:02 am »

I really don't know about that. Consider small town politics and how toxic that can be, then consider a system which is only that, and there's no higher level you can appeal to.

One problem is that you'll have some enclaves which are incredibly more wealthy than other enclaves, and there won't be any redistributive wealth going on any more. The 100K divisions will end up mostly being walled enclaves, with some extremely rich ones but many very poor ones.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:16:12 am by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35994 on: April 03, 2020, 09:24:02 am »

There can still be trades among them, just thst governments will be different. Countries trade a lot with other countries

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35995 on: April 03, 2020, 09:57:09 am »

100k is a bit too small though, you can't really have a "country" with that in the modern world.  You have to have enough people to at least have a sustainable self-sufficient population.

I mean with only 100k population, you only have maybe 50k working-age people.   I don't think you can have enough industry to have even modern health care with that few people.  You're economy would probably be based on maybe a handful of industries and have to import the rest, which is not sustainable or robust to disruptive events.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35996 on: April 03, 2020, 10:03:45 am »

The notion of "small peaceful communities" is an incredibly naive idealistic notion that ignores all world history. Every time you have a bunch of small nations in one area, those nations war continuously. Doesn't matter if you're talking about Europe, Asia, Africa, or the pre-Columbian Americas. This is because no small nation will have the ability to meet their own economic needs even at the survival level, and trade runs the risk of somebody deciding not to sell to you. The closest humanity has come to peace is when nations become large enough to be largely self-sufficient, and trade becomes a matter of maximizing the economy instead of providing basic sustenance.

This is a thought experiment on the order of "what if they threw a war and nobody came?" - the most basic critical analysis proves it to be fundamentally flawed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35997 on: April 03, 2020, 10:08:12 am »

The notion of "small peaceful communities" is an incredibly naive idealistic notion that ignores all world history. Every time you have a bunch of small nations in one area, those nations war continuously. Doesn't matter if you're talking about Europe, Asia, Africa, or the pre-Columbian Americas. This is because no small nation will have the ability to meet their own economic needs even at the survival level, and trade runs the risk of somebody deciding not to sell to you. The closest humanity has come to peace is when nations become large enough to be largely self-sufficient, and trade becomes a matter of maximizing the economy instead of providing basic sustenance.

This is a thought experiment on the order of "what if they threw a war and nobody came?" - the most basic critical analysis proves it to be fundamentally flawed.
this is a fair point. My thinking was that countries with less people require less food/water/space because there are less people to require those things. I am now curious the smallest possible country one can have thst is still self sustaining? I’d imagine e densitu plays a role, small countries in landmass and larger populations allow for easier disease spread compared to a country of the same landmass with less people, or a country with the same amount of people as country A but has more land

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35998 on: April 03, 2020, 10:15:04 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:26:10 pm by dragdeler »
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35999 on: April 03, 2020, 10:16:34 am »

this is a fair point. My thinking was that countries with less people require less food/water/space because there are less people to require those things. I am now curious the smallest possible country one can have thst is still self sustaining? I’d imagine e densitu plays a role, small countries in landmass and larger populations allow for easier disease spread compared to a country of the same landmass with less people, or a country with the same amount of people as country A but has more land

It isn't just a matter of food and water, although those are important. You need lumber and stone for even the most basic building. You need wood, coal, or petroleum to make fires for heating and cooking. You need various metals to make tools. This is for a 12th century lifestyle. If you want to maintain 21st century technology, you need massive industries to produce the goods you need - and those industries need massive resources.

As it stands today, every developed nation can meet most of those needs domestically. They generally trade for some of them instead, because some resources are cheaper to obtain in different places even before you get into cost of living variances, but the ability is there. If all trade with China ceased, many tech devices would become more expensive and shorter in supply - but they would not become extinct.

The only nations that don't have the ability to meet their own needs without trade just happen to be the ones with unstable governments and constant strife with their neighbors.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2398 2399 [2400] 2401 2402 ... 3514