Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2405 2406 [2407] 2408 2409 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3588522 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36090 on: April 05, 2020, 01:35:55 pm »

Sounds sensationalist. I don't think the US federal government is going to other countries and raiding their warehouses.

I can easily see abuse of some kind of legislative clause or something though, like "oh sorry other country, you bought this from some supplier, but this is now a national security thing so the company is not allowed to ship it to you."

To be honest I've not tried to read about it, because there is about zero probability of getting a real understanding from the media.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36091 on: April 05, 2020, 01:45:52 pm »

I think various nations are engaging in aquatic piracy

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36092 on: April 05, 2020, 01:46:37 pm »

Pretty sure they've been taking it from the state governments more than other countries? Outbidding or seizing medical supplies, then turning it around and filtering them through commercial suppliers.

We apparently have seized or otherwise illegitimately acquired medical supplies intended for other countries, but the feds have seemed to be fucking with state governments more than foreign.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36093 on: April 05, 2020, 02:46:25 pm »

Trump a few days ago: "I don't think voting by mail and absentee ballots is a good idea, lots of people cheat that way."

Also Trump a few weeks ago: "Yes hello I'd like an absentee ballot to vote here in florida for me."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36094 on: April 06, 2020, 12:27:42 am »

Ugh this is one of those "ameripol or covid thread" things, but I'll slap it here: Alabama is projected to have the highest deathrate, second-highest totals, based on the medium projections from Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington. They would actually exceed New York deaths per capita, and have fourth highest totals in the nation, assuming the medium projections (under the high projections they're behind Illinois and Virginia in total deaths, and dead-even with California; in the low projections they are weirdly exceeded by Tennessee.)

Also, does anyone know anything Blaine County Idaho? They have the highest infected rate per capita in the entire country, 1864.1 per 100,000 residents. And that's been true for several days straight, and I have no idea why or what's up there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:42:56 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36095 on: April 06, 2020, 01:30:51 am »

A tourist nexus with not a lot of actual residents.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36096 on: April 06, 2020, 01:33:10 am »

That feel when covid19 tests are 'free', but not really available for everyone.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36097 on: April 06, 2020, 01:41:38 am »

Yes 'free'.

Still not getting one unless you are incredibly rich and/or influential or you so obviously have it no test is required in the first place.  Wasn't there some stupid thing about a tiger in a zoo getting a test?  If they are so rare why are we testing tigers in a zoo?

EDIT: Ok looking into it the test was of a kind that is not given to humans.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:43:33 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36098 on: April 06, 2020, 01:49:00 am »

The tests aren't rare, they're just not valued by our objectively good capitalist economic system. Maybe try a little harder to not be sick before you go taking money out of actually successful people's pockets to fix your mistakes, mkay?

also we do actually need to test random animals for covid to determine potential zoonotic leaps like the one that caused the pandemic in the first place, however the post-tiger test market fluctuations suggest-
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36099 on: April 06, 2020, 04:52:32 am »

Sorry, I know this was discussed earlier but I'm too lazy to find it and don't know if it was here or Covid thread -can someone give me a rundown on why testing is important still? At this point, I think not getting a test is unlikely to change anyone's behavior.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36100 on: April 06, 2020, 04:54:03 am »

Accurate statistics for future modelling.

That can be of vital importance in early containment of any future pandemics.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36101 on: April 06, 2020, 05:13:20 am »

Sorry, I know this was discussed earlier but I'm too lazy to find it and don't know if it was here or Covid thread -can someone give me a rundown on why testing is important still? At this point, I think not getting a test is unlikely to change anyone's behavior.

It would be important if you have it so you can seek timely medical attention in case of complications as well. But yes, at this point letting the virus run it’s course appears to be the plan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36102 on: April 06, 2020, 05:27:59 am »

Also everyone can't stay locked down forever. You need some people running things. Those people need to be tested.

Also the point is people are still spreading it. As long as people are still being jackasses, testing has value.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36103 on: April 06, 2020, 06:44:31 am »

Not to mention the availability of information so decision makers have some ability to actually know how bad things are and who's being effected the most, and make decisions accordingly.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36104 on: April 06, 2020, 06:46:30 am »

PPPPHHHTHT!

Even *WITH* good information, advisors that are skilled in interpreting that information, and experts guiding that advice---

OUR LEADERS HAVE A PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF DOING FUCK ALL ELSE ANYWAY.

No, the data collected needs to be as accurate as possible so that future generations, should they NOT BE STUPID like ours, can use the data to better address calamities like this in their times of need.
Pages: 1 ... 2405 2406 [2407] 2408 2409 ... 3514