Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2453 2454 [2455] 2456 2457 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3601232 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36810 on: May 13, 2020, 10:47:30 pm »

I think there's a serious problem right now with state governments attempting reasonable responses, despite neither the state governments nor the federal government being capable of sustaining it. The states are able to pass and enforce whatever restrictive measures they want, but have absolutely no way of paying for the results (which I guess isn't that unusual). It looks like we're getting the worst of both worlds, with a hilariously corrupt administration letting unrestricted plundering go through while the states can't do anything significant without the ability to magic money out of the air.

If there's somewhat of a horrible silver lining to it, something might come of the now curiously mainstream calls to implement the Sanders platform. I'd say I'm also optimistic about the rent strikes, but I'm guessing they'll get crushed with all rent due while the more well-connected corporate landlords simultaneously get a bailout.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36811 on: May 13, 2020, 10:58:47 pm »

Yeah, you've got my sympathy.

Problem isn't the quarantine, though.  Business dropped off nearly everywhere before quarantine measures were put in place.. if it wasn't safe to congregate, people weren't going to those businesses anyway, and if there's no actual quarantine measure, why bother passing any benefits at all?  I hate to say it, but most restaurant owners would be just as screwed if no measures were taken, as there still wouldn't be any customers.

It'll get better when it's over.  And the best way to actually end it is to have reasonable quarantine measures along with sufficient benefits distributed so people dont' have to starve.  The rampant looting is doing not a damn thing to help people.

Any hope for food stamps or charity?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:01:09 pm by Devastator »

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36812 on: May 13, 2020, 11:29:35 pm »

You are right, people wouldn't go out eating or doing much even without the quarantine. So that part doesn't really change anything. I do agree a proper quarantine would allow people go back to normal lives faster.

As for charity. Well my family has been helping each other out as much as possible. And our neighbors are helping each other and us, that is one thing its done is given a community spirit at least for us. As for the restaurant. The place wants roughly 1000 USD a month to rent for the restaurant which seems quite a lot. I'm not sure exact amount. And honestly don't know that business and how much they usually are, maybe its on the cheaper side?

The thing that would make the most sense for businesses that don't function from working at home (like restaurants) is pretty simple. Exactly like not paying apartment rent (which has helped a lot)...not to pay business rent or whatever its called. Why pay for a restaurant that can't even be open, thats stupid and makes no sense. And even if it could be open no ones going to restaurants anyway, so why keep paying. Why not do it like renters where they get to be able to have free rent and not pay. It makes no sense to have a restaurant that can't be open and still have to pay for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36813 on: May 13, 2020, 11:33:06 pm »

All the places that have reopened their restaurants so far are packed wall-to-wall with boomers showing devotion to their deathdrive, and taking the employees with them. They'll show up, psychos that they are. There have been people calling to end the lockdown since day one, upset that it even happened at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36814 on: May 13, 2020, 11:39:38 pm »

(generic statement about an entire generation conditioned to disregard reality)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36815 on: May 13, 2020, 11:41:42 pm »

(genetic statement about national ethos of delusion)

(generic denouncement of Amerika and outline of possible collapse)
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #36816 on: May 13, 2020, 11:45:54 pm »

(lame pun)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36817 on: May 13, 2020, 11:53:51 pm »

See, this is how tired and cliche American Politics(tm) has become-- We have had the entire discussion that normally happens, in purely abstracted-meta format.

Here, I will help complete it.

(Generic pseudo-rebuttal that points out the obvious about stereotypes not being suitable to describe individuals, with full knowledge that it does not apply in the general sense as tendered.)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #36818 on: May 13, 2020, 11:55:28 pm »

(reply pointing out those problems)

(defecation on and angry overturning of a chessboard)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36819 on: May 14, 2020, 12:00:15 am »

(Generic denouncement of Eugenics, with sympathies toward rampant idiocracy. Generic statement about how culture is responsible, not really bad breeding)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36820 on: May 14, 2020, 12:03:09 am »

(Generic denouncement of Eugenics, with sympathies toward rampant idiocracy. Generic statement about how culture is responsible, not really bad breeding)
(furious denouncement of autocorrect)

(witty retort about epigenetic effects of large-scale lead poisoning from gasoline)
No Gods, No Masters.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #36821 on: May 14, 2020, 12:12:51 am »

I believe you mean autocorrupt?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile