Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2457 2458 [2459] 2460 2461 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595788 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36870 on: May 18, 2020, 03:28:14 pm »

There's language in the latest House bill that tries to do this by guaranteeing certain amounts of money go to smaller community banks and the like instead of the big banks, but that's probably not going to be sufficiently comprehensive.

One of the problems is that the SBA program is effectively administered by banks, and those banks have favored clients they put in line first. Gotta love privatization.

(Anecdotally speaking I've got a small-business-owner relative who did get access to an SBA loan after a few weeks of phone tag and hassle, but it was rather on the small side and they ultimately reopened pretty quick.)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36871 on: May 18, 2020, 06:12:13 pm »

So, stock market just surged after positive vaccine trial news. In summary, of 45 volunteers 8 developed antibodies. Market is probably getting a little ahead of itself, but it’s something I guess. Might take a few more iterations of the vaccine for it to be good enough to end the crisis. Not expecting anything this year.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36872 on: May 20, 2020, 02:14:46 am »

Mitch "Blobfish" McConnell (who is totally not a deepone hybrid from Innsmouth, ---honest! He just wants to kill all the poor people for reasons other than conquering the surface world.) and his GOP cronies have just proposed that instead of paying people to stay home and not spread disease everywhere, that any additional aid should be given only to people who are currently working.

Because he apparently gets a little green around the gill-slits and has his left eye wander at the very thought of poor people not starving to death needlessly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2020/05/19/the-gop-alternative-to-more-stimulus-payments-tying-aid-to-work/#2ce9fab6503d

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:17:21 am by wierd »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36873 on: May 20, 2020, 02:28:35 am »

What if... instead of encouraging people to not spread the disease... we encourage them to spread it more! Brilliant! Fund it!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36874 on: May 20, 2020, 02:30:37 am »

I'm honestly a little surprised the GOP hasn't flipped to a "we just need herd immunity, like the chicken pox parties we used to have before the fucking libs whined about it". Too evolutionist for their taste, I guess.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36875 on: May 20, 2020, 02:39:30 am »

You missed the best part, where Mitch wanted to give indemnity to employers should workers all suddenly get sick and start to die.

CLEARLY, this asshat FUCKING KNOWS what will happen, and wants this **ANYWAY**.

Quote from: From Forbes article
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), meanwhile, would like to see liability protections for employers included in further relief, a proposal that would help businesses stem the tide of lawsuits that come from workers getting sick or dying on the job from Covid-19.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36876 on: May 20, 2020, 07:43:02 am »

What's even the fucking point of the aid if people are able to work?*

Not that the first round of aid was all that helpful to begin with. Passed 2 months ago. Some people still haven't gotten payments yet. And the whole point was it was supposed to be a quick stopgap to keep people in their homes and not starving. 1200 dollars... which.... MIGHT cover a month or two in some low cost-of-living areas. Might also do nothing at all for some high cost-of-living areas.

If you're not going to help the people who it's going to affect the most, why even fucking bother?

*Yes, I'm aware some people are working shorter hours now and often have bigger costs as a result of price increases on things in short supply. Rant isn't aimed at people who are working. They deserve aid as much as anyone does.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36877 on: May 20, 2020, 09:44:51 am »

I'm honestly a little surprised the GOP hasn't flipped to a "we just need herd immunity, like the chicken pox parties we used to have before the fucking libs whined about it". Too evolutionist for their taste, I guess.
WHAT IS THIS LATHE OF HEAVEN BULLSHIT

IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN A DAY

STOP IT

I WILL TEAR DOWN THE SKY
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36878 on: May 20, 2020, 09:50:43 am »

Among the side effects of hydroxychloroquine are not just heart disorders, it can also have severe phychological side effects, like depression, and hallucinations.
Since Trump has admitted to taking it, it might be a wise idea to remove him from office and have the vice president take care of business for as long as Trump is taking the meds.
It's one thing to have a pompous narcissitic pussy grabbing demented old racist for president.. But having him depressed and tripping next to that.. That's just too much.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36879 on: May 20, 2020, 09:55:50 am »

Among the side effects of hydroxychloroquine are not just heart disorders, it can also have severe phychological side effects, like depression, and hallucinations.
Since Trump has admitted to taking it, it might be a wise idea to remove him from office and have the vice president take care of business for as long as Trump is taking the meds.
It's one thing to have a pompous narcissitic pussy grabbing demented old racist for president.. But having him depressed and tripping next to that.. That's just too much.

I'll still take that over Pence.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36880 on: May 20, 2020, 09:58:01 am »

Yeah, Pence believes in magic and he's part of the Taliban to boot, also Trump is objectively a more interesting human being. Last thing we need now is "pray the rona away" policies.
No Gods, No Masters.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36881 on: May 20, 2020, 10:00:00 am »

Trump's claim that he is taking hydroxychloroquine could easily just be a lie to distract from more substantial news, such as his recent purge of inspector generals.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36882 on: May 20, 2020, 10:36:23 am »

Trump's claim that he is taking hydroxychloroquine could easily just be a lie to distract from more substantial news, such as his recent purge of inspector generals.
purge? I’m assuming this is firing, why would he be firing inspector generals?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36883 on: May 20, 2020, 10:39:08 am »

Yeah, Pence believes in magic and he's part of the Taliban to boot, also Trump is objectively a more interesting human being. Last thing we need now is "pray the rona away" policies.
You guys are so screwed
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36884 on: May 20, 2020, 10:49:29 am »

purge? I’m assuming this is firing, why would he be firing inspector generals?

To prevent oversight on political matters that would reflect poorly on his administration or limit their ability to do shady things. He sacked the person that was investigating Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for misuse of taxpayer funds, for example.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-inspectors-general-internal-watchdogs-fired-list/
Pages: 1 ... 2457 2458 [2459] 2460 2461 ... 3515