Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2458 2459 [2460] 2461 2462 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595461 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36885 on: May 20, 2020, 11:02:47 am »

We've investigated ourselves and found no wrongdoing!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36886 on: May 20, 2020, 11:23:11 am »

So, stock market just surged after positive vaccine trial news. In summary, of 45 volunteers 8 developed antibodies. Market is probably getting a little ahead of itself, but it’s something I guess. Might take a few more iterations of the vaccine for it to be good enough to end the crisis. Not expecting anything this year.

Oh, there will definitely be some rushed-to-market cures and vaccines that cause people to panic more and trust less. I wouldn't expect the disease to really be slowed down here for 12-18 months yet.

Trump's claim that he is taking hydroxychloroquine could easily just be a lie to distract from more substantial news, such as his recent purge of inspector generals.
purge? I’m assuming this is firing, why would he be firing inspector generals?

Mostly, yeah. Some suspicious deaths, but their claims were pretty far-fetched as well. It's tough to tell what's really happening.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 11:26:06 am by Iduno »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36887 on: May 20, 2020, 01:57:09 pm »

So now Trump is threatening to cut all government funding for Michigan and Nevada, including corona crisis funding, if they don't stop their plan to vote over the mail.
Secretary Benson of Michigan commented that her Republican colleagues in Iowa, Georgia, Nebraska, and West Virginia did exactly the same thing (poll the residents whether they would like to vote by mail to prevent corona spread), but that Trump is only threatening democratic states over it.

Ehm.. What's that second amendment for again? Something something take up arms against an oppresive government?
Lately I sometimes feel that an armed government takeover would be less devastating to the US than a few more months of Trump.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36888 on: May 20, 2020, 03:26:01 pm »

Would people here say that Donald Trump is generally a worse president than George W. Bush? At least he hasn't started two forever wars (yet).

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36889 on: May 20, 2020, 03:34:06 pm »

Would people here say that Donald Trump is generally a worse president than George W. Bush? At least he hasn't started two forever wars (yet).

Yes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36890 on: May 20, 2020, 03:36:02 pm »

Yes. Fucker is desperately trying to start a cold war with china.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36891 on: May 20, 2020, 03:49:08 pm »

Dubya probably did more damage over the course of his terms, but he had two of them and I'd still say Trump is the worse president, by a significant degree. If the shitgibbon isn't literally the bottom, he's down there with andrew "lol genocide" jackson -- and even with what that fucker did to the natives, he still had some redeeming stuff here and there. Trump just... hasn't. At all. While just running roughshod over what respectability the POTUS position had and what little the U.S. as a whole had, on top of a slew of far more material fuckups and by far the most odious personality of anyone to lead the executive branch in the last century or so. Dubya may have been a piece of shit, but he never compared my WWII vet grandfather to fucking Nazis.

I don't think it's actually in question, if trump's not the worst president in american history, he's definitely the worst in living memory.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36892 on: May 20, 2020, 04:02:00 pm »

I've got pretty strong opinions on this, actually, and people get really offended and angry at me about it, but I stick by it. 

I get really frustrated with everyone's fixation on Trump as an individual.  Trump is a terrible individual, but everyone's fixation on him reveals just how much they weren't paying attention before.  The only things he's done differently from the last few administrations that I'm aware of are the trade war, and being generally much more incompetent.  Everything else is stuff that was already happening or had already been set in motion before Trump took office.  Everyone's suddenly aware of these things now, because Trump's personal character draws attention to them.

All of this stuff has precedent and roots going back generations.  Most of USA's history is not flattering, honestly.  The stage for modern day was set long, long ago.  But the Bush administration really lit that stage up and got the modern shitshow started.  They started the forever wars based on lies, slaughtering hundreds of thousands of innocents.  Made the global issue of terrorism what it is today.  Normalized the use of mercenaries who are unaccountable to any legal structure, and thus free to carry out war crimes, which also launched Erik Prince, one of the most terrible people alive and the brother of Betsy DeVos, into a position of frightening power in the modern world.  Brought torture back into the civilized world.  Kidnapped hundreds of people from all over the world, many innocent, for torture and indefinite detention through their extraordinary rendition program.  Expanded surveillance programs to dystopian extremes the likes of which the world has never seen, and launched a massive campaign of domestic intimidation and suppression of dissent that knocked activism to one of its lowest points ever.  And many countless other severe rollbacks of civil liberties, including suspension and weakening of Habeas Corpus and Posse Comitatus.

Bush turned the white house, and frankly the world, into a fascist's wet dream.  Obama reinforced the structure of that house.  Trump hasn't done much more than live in it and play with the toys that others put there.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36893 on: May 20, 2020, 06:05:17 pm »

Yes. Fucker is desperately trying to start a cold war with china.

and/or iran.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36894 on: May 20, 2020, 07:20:43 pm »

Dubya probably did more damage over the course of his terms, but he had two of them and I'd still say Trump is the worse president, by a significant degree. If the shitgibbon isn't literally the bottom, he's down there with andrew "lol genocide" jackson

I'm trying to think of a president during my lifetime who didn't spend most of their term doing race-related mass murder (tough to call what they've been doing the last 10+ years genocide, but that's more just a lack of success).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36895 on: May 20, 2020, 07:27:43 pm »

Your lifetime? I don't think any of them meet that qualification. Even Harrison counts thanks to the immense government effort put towards native genocides at the time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36896 on: May 21, 2020, 10:47:49 am »

Your lifetime?...Even Harrison counts

William Henry Harrison (February 9, 1773 – April 4, 1841)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36897 on: May 21, 2020, 01:01:15 pm »

I mean it should be a rule of thumb of all informed observers of American politics that the fixation on the President is generally in outsize of their actual relative importance and power. Just considering the federal system alone a huuuuuuge amount of the important decisions which effect the average person come from the states, or even local. Even within the federal government the president's power is constrained; even within their own branch it is the people they appoint who do much of the groundwork. But, people historically blame recession and growth on the sitting President even if they have no responsibility for it, for instance.

That said presidents are disproportionately influential in setting the tone and defining the debate, which does have a big impact in the policies taken by those other government officials across the country (and abroad) and it is on this factor, more than any other, that makes them important.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:03:15 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36898 on: May 21, 2020, 04:14:13 pm »

I mean it should be a rule of thumb of all informed observers of American politics that the fixation on the President is generally in outsize of their actual relative importance and power. Just considering the federal system alone a huuuuuuge amount of the important decisions which effect the average person come from the states, or even local. Even within the federal government the president's power is constrained; even within their own branch it is the people they appoint who do much of the groundwork. But, people historically blame recession and growth on the sitting President even if they have no responsibility for it, for instance.

That said presidents are disproportionately influential in setting the tone and defining the debate, which does have a big impact in the policies taken by those other government officials across the country (and abroad) and it is on this factor, more than any other, that makes them important.

And because their previous country had a king who made too many decisions, the writers of the constitution wanted to make sure the other 2 branches had limited power that the president could veto. Because they were dumb as hell.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36899 on: May 21, 2020, 04:42:06 pm »

And because their previous country had a king who made too many decisions, the writers of the constitution wanted to make sure the other 2 branches had limited power that the president could veto. Because they were dumb as hell.

Despite focusing on George III in the Declaration and other pronouncements (in no small part because up until the Declaration, they had hope of a peaceful settlement that kept the colonies British), the Founders knew full well that their major beef was with Parliament. Giving the President veto power over the legislature was done because they saw a danger there. Same reason the President appoints Supreme Court justices - it is to keep Congress from putting excessively pliant justices to rubber-stamp whatever they do. Meanwhile, the Court has explicit power to hard-stop anything the other Branches do, and the legislature can remove the President if he gets out of control.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2458 2459 [2460] 2461 2462 ... 3515