Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2465 2466 [2467] 2468 2469 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3535246 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #36990 on: May 27, 2020, 08:35:05 am »

apes aren't monkeys
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36991 on: May 27, 2020, 08:40:53 am »

Better start stacking up a strategic supply of typewriters
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36992 on: May 27, 2020, 08:57:27 am »

apes aren't monkeys
I too welcome our ape overlords.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #36993 on: May 27, 2020, 09:03:58 am »

In fact, if monkeys took over that would effectively be the end of the planet of the apes.
I dunno, I feel like our more-tailed cousins could have a good go at it. Just look at the job we've been doing.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36994 on: May 27, 2020, 09:27:50 am »

Apes are in fact monkeys. It's an all apes not all monkeys situation.
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36995 on: May 27, 2020, 10:43:06 am »

Ok now Trump rides down the bomb to a slick Artic Monkeys tune.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36996 on: May 27, 2020, 05:17:12 pm »

Not even halfway right.

Tarsiers are not apes are not monkeys but all are primates. We are apes, capuchins are monkeys, and tarsiers are their own weird little clade.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36997 on: May 27, 2020, 08:10:03 pm »

Man I wish I was quadriplegic, then I could justify owning a Helper Monkey. Sadly I can only dream of having my own monkey.

Also we should totally see about Uplifting tarsiers, then giving them space travel. How cool would it be if the first aliens we meet actually encounter intelligent space tarsiers? That would be way cooler and more sci-fi looking than just sending humans up.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 08:12:56 pm by Reelya »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36998 on: May 27, 2020, 08:12:50 pm »

Words have more than one meaning. So, anything even vaguely monkey-like can be a monkey even if it's not classified as a monkey.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:17:26 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36999 on: May 27, 2020, 08:18:30 pm »

Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37000 on: May 28, 2020, 12:16:18 am »

Not even halfway right.

Tarsiers are not apes are not monkeys but all are primates. We are apes, capuchins are monkeys, and tarsiers are their own weird little clade.

Cladistically, no.

Apes emerged within "monkeys" as sister of the Cercopithecidae in the Catarrhini, so cladistically they are monkeys as well. There has been resistance to directly designate apes (and thus humans) as monkeys, so "Old World monkey" may be taken to mean the Cercopithecoidea or the Catarrhini. That apes are monkeys was already realized by Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon in the 18th century.

Nobody called the Buffoon Count could ever be wrong.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37001 on: May 28, 2020, 01:40:38 am »

I am not sure if this is good news, or bad news.  I think it is both at the same time.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/27/fisa-renewal-limbo-284025

Good news: FISA is not getting reauthorized at this time. (Secret courts with secret rulings and secret procedures have no place in a democratic republic like ours, that operates on public representation.)

Bad News:  It got scrubbed because the legislature is being led around by the testicles by the executive-- and by a whiny orange and petulant child of an executive at that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37003 on: May 28, 2020, 03:02:11 am »

That's just going 110% fascist right now.

EDIT: Twitter should just play chicken with El Presidente. Kick him off for breach of the terms of service. I'm sure they can dredge up enough examples.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:07:08 am by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37004 on: May 28, 2020, 03:37:37 am »

If this goes forward, Trump will lose, and probably cripple himself in the process. Even without the obvious 1A issues, any executive order would be overreach so great you could see it from space. Not only would he be pretty much doomed in the courts, most members of Congress rely heavily on social media for their own campaigns, even disregarding any lobbying. Even his strongest Congressional supporters won't back him on this, and anything he did would be overruled quickly.

(Un)fortunately, he's likely to forget he ever made the threat in the first place, or else he'll pass it off as a joke like he always does.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2465 2466 [2467] 2468 2469 ... 3511