Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2470 2471 [2472] 2473 2474 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590241 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37065 on: May 29, 2020, 06:21:33 am »

Sadly, I am not. It's only 13pm here, waaaay before I permit myself a beer.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37066 on: May 29, 2020, 06:22:30 am »

You're home Martinuzz, go drunk.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37067 on: May 29, 2020, 07:31:55 am »

Sadly, I am not. It's only 13pm here, waaaay before I permit myself a beer.

That's no excuse. 13:00 is plenty late to be drunk.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37068 on: May 29, 2020, 07:34:08 am »

Somewhat related.  Am I a terrible person that whenever I hear or see Black Lives Matter, my mind turns it into Black Wives Fatter and I inadvertently giggle?
U ‘AVING A GIGGLE, M8?

Get your mind out of the gutter!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37069 on: May 29, 2020, 08:22:59 am »

So, if the US army uses a drone strike to take out a IS terrorist in Africa, there is huge outrage because he happened to be a US citizen and the US is forbidden from dronestriking it's own citizens, but when the army shoots 100 black people on US soil it's all good?

Because the left worries about the drone strike setting legal precedent that puts us on a path to killing U.S. citizen dissidents domestically or who aren't terrorists.  The right makes a big deal out of it just because Obama's the one doing it.  They don't actually care about the legal precedent or ethics.  Meanwhile centrists just stick to pearl-clutching and mental gymnastics at both sides about how they shouldn't be alarmist, and disruptive political action would be far worse than murder.

Once it's not a Democrat and especially not Obama doing bad things, the right flips to cheerleader mode.  Centrists keep on with their same thing.  And the left is a minority.

Anyway, Bush and Obama tag-teamed on severely weakening Habeas Corpus and Posse Commitatus, so, especially with Trump now in the driver's seat of the machine they built, anything is possible right now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:27:39 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37070 on: May 29, 2020, 08:46:03 am »

Anyway, Bush and Obama tag-teamed on severely weakening Habeas Corpus and Posse Commitatus, so, especially with Trump now in the driver's seat of the machine they built, anything is possible right now.
get in the fucking robot, donald

you have to pilot the government, donald
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37071 on: May 29, 2020, 08:59:59 am »

Or Ivanka will do it?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37072 on: May 29, 2020, 09:18:35 am »

No, Jared. He needs another job.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37073 on: May 29, 2020, 09:21:54 am »

crud, wrong thread. It's one of those days... ::)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:26:35 am by McTraveller »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37074 on: May 29, 2020, 11:22:41 am »

I'm not aware of all the "american ways" to do things in their country, but honest question : how are people accepted in the police forces in the USA ? Is there a country-wide selection system or is it different from states to states ?

I mean, is there at least something like some kind of active check up on each individual background to see if there's potential or past problems before allowing them to get into whatever police formation school there is in the USA or is there only some basic aptitude tests took on spot in whatever police school there is in the USA ?

There are problems in police forces in every developped countries in the world, it's unavoidable as it's not always possible to know with 100% certainty that someone is a piece of shit or a normal human before they get into their job but even if not perfect at least serious selections help to filter, still in international news i don't remember seeing those "police kills intentionally a guy that commited no crime" as often as in the news coming from the USA (news about non-dictature country obviously).

So what is the source of the problem there ? Why are cops killing non-criminal people so often in your country ? Is the police in the USA so afraid of their regular fellow citizens that they prefer to "hurt and kill" instead of "serve and protect"  ? Could this be another of the things to do with the "everyone has a gun" mentality thing in the USA that makes the cops afraid so they "shoot first" or is this something else that makes people more crazy there ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37075 on: May 29, 2020, 11:33:03 am »

I'm not aware of all the "american ways" to do things in their country, but honest question : how are people accepted in the police forces in the USA ? Is there a country-wide selection system or is it different from states to states ?
It's different from precinct to precinct. There is no country wide standard. There is no state wide standard in many (most?) states. Sometimes there's not even a goddamn county or city wide standard.

What the problems are takes more energy than I have right now to mention, though. There's a fuckton of them, from lack of accountability to pervasive racism issues to problems with employment standards and HR issues to a host of other shite. There's not a single primary problem though, this is the effect of decades or centuries of pervasive rot on a number of different fronts, growing from a foundation that was itself pretty goddamn shit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37076 on: May 29, 2020, 11:35:21 am »

I mean, is there at least something like some kind of active check up on each individual background to see if there's potential or past problems before allowing them to get into whatever police formation school there is in the USA or is there only some basic aptitude tests took on spot in whatever police school there is in the USA ?

There are problems in police forces in every developped countries in the world, it's unavoidable as it's not always possible to know with 100% certainty that someone is a piece of shit or a normal human before they get into their job but even if not perfect at least serious selections help to filter, still in international news i don't remember seeing those "police kills intentionally a guy that commited no crime" as often as in the news coming from the USA (news about non-dictature country obviously).

So what is the source of the problem there ? Why are cops killing non-criminal people so often in your country ? Is the police in the USA so afraid of their regular fellow citizens that they prefer to "hurt and kill" instead of "serve and protect"  ? Could this be another of the things to do with the "everyone has a gun" mentality thing in the USA that makes the cops afraid so they "shoot first" or is this something else that makes people more crazy there ?

The only thing I know in relation to your question is that they administer an IQ test, and screen out applicants who have a more than slightly above average IQ.  Courts have upheld this as legal.  Not sure how widespread that practice is, though, as things vary wildly from state and state and even district to district.  I don't know anything about any other form of criteria or selection process that goes on.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37077 on: May 29, 2020, 11:55:52 am »

So you have to be real dumb to join the police?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37078 on: May 29, 2020, 11:57:35 am »

No, they just don't want you thinking too critically about the job or the choices you have to make.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37079 on: May 29, 2020, 12:03:14 pm »

Meanwhile...

Fact checking is censorship

The absolute fucking madlad
Here's a lawyer doing a livestream about a draft of the executive order
It's plainly hypocritical yeah, and written in a way that it doesn't make much sense except as... not a dog whistle exactly, more a long deceitful whine.  It might as well be one of those letters he writes his supporters about how the evil leftists are to blame for everything ever.

Just going to say, the looting, vandalism and property destruction is not helpful to anyone's cause. The victim card is a little hard to play when you're smashing someone's windows and burning down buildings.

After 2 days of rioting, the FBI decided to step in and do an actual investigation. Rioting is the only option when non-violent protest accomplishes nothing.

Correlation does not equal causation. Incident happened Monday. By Tuesday afternoon they were fired. It's currently Thursday. Under no reasonable definition has there been any delay of justice thus far in this case.

Or we can just go with rioting... sure we'll just go with that. Rioting solved our problems. /s

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We can also compare to no rioting. Last time 2 times he murdered civilians, there were no riots, and no punishment. It gets ignored until they make the news. Peaceful protests get ignored safely. It's difficult to check much more of his history, because it's non-public, although everything is marked as "no discipline required." Klobuchar made her name by refusing to prosecute this racist shitstain.
Yup.  When the government ignores valid public outcry, people have the right and arguably a responsibility to take stronger measures.

The presence of any looting in a protest or riot is always used as an excuse to ignore the original issue.  Particularly when race is a factor, for some reason.  Sluissa is right that it doesn't "look good", though that's largely because the media uses it to reframe ALL the participants as baddies who can be dismissed.
" When the looting starts the shooting starts"

Holy fucking shit Trump has gone completely apeshit.
[snip]
Isn't it against your Constitution in the first place, to use the military against US citizens, or even theaten to do so? Impeach immediatly?
Holy crap, he actually said that.  How am I even surprised anymore.

It'd be a shame if he applied that advice to himself.  Pence would also be horrible, for one thing.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:05:08 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 2470 2471 [2472] 2473 2474 ... 3514