Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2477 2478 [2479] 2480 2481 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3591806 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37170 on: June 01, 2020, 06:20:15 pm »

Trump has called in the military to protect his orange ass in Washington. Notably, as he announced that he would be putting down the riots, his military personnel were using tear gas and advancing against peaceful protestors.

Trump has also announced his intention to send military into other states to put down riots without their permission, which he has no legal standing to actually do.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37171 on: June 01, 2020, 06:24:35 pm »

I tried to write a parody post about the Dems trying to keep Trump from violating Posse Comitatus and ordering the military to stop, but I can't get through it without hysterical laughter. That's even less likely then them doing anything about him violating normal laws. It's literally unimaginable.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:27:49 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37172 on: June 01, 2020, 06:44:12 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:26:59 pm by dragdeler »
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37173 on: June 01, 2020, 06:53:07 pm »

Does anyone have more info on the "declaring Antifa as terrorists" thing? I can't find anything except opinion pieces.

In some good news, the police chief in Green Bay gave a nice little speech and then marched with the protesters.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37174 on: June 01, 2020, 06:58:45 pm »

Since the topic of “American Capitalism, why it sucks, and what to do about it” seems to come up a lot, why not branch it off into a separate thread? The introductory post could then have a list of agreed definitions that gets updated as semantic disputes are resolved, and we could have ground rules about what is/is not in scope. Once issues are resolved, we could log the outcome somewhere in the first few posts so newcomers can get up to speed without retreading familiar ground? We could also maintain a description of our own ideological positions in an early post and simply refer back to it to avoid repetition. I’d do it myself, but cannot commit enough time to maintain proper bookkeeping on it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37175 on: June 01, 2020, 07:01:31 pm »

I'd be interested to read a "Late-stage Capitalism Thread"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37176 on: June 01, 2020, 07:03:28 pm »

Bush suspended Posse Comitatus.  Obama undid that.  But then also signed the 2012 NDAA that re-suspended Posse Comitatus but only when its terrorists (anybody the state doesn't like is a terrorist).  He publicly stated that he had no choice because of republican shenanigans always putting in those riders and the other stuff in the bill is so important that it wasn't worth shutting it all down just for the sake of ol' Posse Comitatus.  Then a coalition of activists and journalists led by Chris Hedges filed a suit against it, and won the first round in court.  And it was white house legal teams that appealed and won the next round in higher court.

So if Trump wants to employ the military against this he absolutely has the legal grounds to do so if he wants, and his move to label Antifa a terrorist organization indicates thats exactly how he intends to go about it.  Never forget who to thank for him having the ability to do this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37177 on: June 01, 2020, 07:13:51 pm »

Oh there's a citywide curfew here now. And I'm seeing shops board up. Oh and sheriff's cars are outside my street. I didn't know we had a sheriff. I thought his only job was to serve summons for not paying childcare. In any case, this'll be... interesting.
Does anyone have more info on the "declaring Antifa as terrorists" thing? I can't find anything except opinion pieces.

In some good news, the police chief in Green Bay gave a nice little speech and then marched with the protesters.
Sure. Note: A: it was a trump tweet not any sort of statement I could direct you to or something, and B: he has absolutely no grounds to do that in the first place so twitter is about as binding as it gets anyway.

You've got to at least allege some sort of international connections to mark a group as terrorist; purely domestic groups (like the Neonazi Atomwaffen) have been prosecuted by the FBI as criminal enterprises. Also you have to have an organization to be a terrorist organization. Wouldn't stop them from charging individual members with terrorism but that still means that the labeling itself is purely rhetoric.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37178 on: June 01, 2020, 07:18:35 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:27:03 pm by dragdeler »
let

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #37179 on: June 01, 2020, 07:29:38 pm »

I'd be interested to read a "Late-stage Capitalism Thread"

id suggest reanimating my impending doom thread but it appears that you're suggesting that the OP put in an effort to provide clear and concise information and that's against my religion
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37180 on: June 01, 2020, 07:43:04 pm »

Actually, the Atomwaffen Nazis do have international ties, the German authorities were prosecuting their local branch recently. Not sure if it's enough to be an international terror organization, but it's spooky enough as is.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37181 on: June 01, 2020, 07:54:50 pm »

I believe there were illegal border crossings from canadian atomwaffens in their most recent newsworthy fuckup?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37182 on: June 01, 2020, 08:11:30 pm »

Bush suspended Posse Comitatus.  Obama undid that.  But then also signed the 2012 NDAA that re-suspended Posse Comitatus but only when its terrorists (anybody the state doesn't like is a terrorist).  He publicly stated that he had no choice because of republican shenanigans always putting in those riders and the other stuff in the bill is so important that it wasn't worth shutting it all down just for the sake of ol' Posse Comitatus.  Then a coalition of activists and journalists led by Chris Hedges filed a suit against it, and won the first round in court.  And it was white house legal teams that appealed and won the next round in higher court.

So if Trump wants to employ the military against this he absolutely has the legal grounds to do so if he wants, and his move to label Antifa a terrorist organization indicates thats exactly how he intends to go about it.  Never forget who to thank for him having the ability to do this.

Out of curiosity, how does that jive with the wikipedia description? (Not that I consider wikipedia the final word at all, just trying to get clarification). The quotes from there, particularly the "Nothing in this section" text, seem to suggest it's more limited than that.

Spoiler: Wiki sez (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37183 on: June 01, 2020, 08:25:16 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37184 on: June 01, 2020, 08:26:21 pm »

Note that I posted the picture because the only message it seems to clearly send is: "Want leadership? Look elsewhere, bitches!"

I mean, it's not surprising because I'm sure that is literally what Trump is thinking, he doesn't want to lead, he wants to be the boss like Jimmy Wichard but man, nobody pointed out how cowardly and impotent this looks to the impotent coward so he'd pretend like he wants to get reelected and stay out of prison?
Pages: 1 ... 2477 2478 [2479] 2480 2481 ... 3514