Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2478 2479 [2480] 2481 2482 ... 2531

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1531062 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37185 on: June 02, 2020, 11:34:10 am »

The trick here, is to goad trump into a public response on twitter that authorizes a local militia under section 333, to support and protect the protestors. :P

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37186 on: June 02, 2020, 03:56:27 pm »

The 1807 law has been used by Bush in 1992, when California's governor requested the aid of the president to end the riots after the police brutality against Rodney King.

Ironically, the last time the law was used before that was by Eisenhower and Kennedy in the 1950s and 1960s, when they sent the military down south TO PROTECT THE CIVIL RIGHTS OF AFRO AMERICANS
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:04:43 pm by martinuzz »
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37187 on: June 02, 2020, 07:40:59 pm »

This is a real thing in the US, as announced by an actual police department. They're hiding their badge numbers, and telling people about it.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37188 on: June 02, 2020, 08:00:12 pm »

We are living in the worst timeline at this point. You can get struck down for daring to film them, now you can't even name them by their badge number. That they're using dead officers as the excuse to do this in the middle of the worst rioting in the US in 20 years....is absolutely fucking disgusting. State legislatures need to start taking a very real look at how to bring their police departments under control, it's like we have several thousand standing armies out there accountable to no one.

Now I gotta dial back my outrage.....this was posted April 16th. Although in what world hiding any identifying markers for law enforcement is ok, I'm not sure of. How can you honestly respect their authority when they avoid accountability at all cost? The whole refusal to turn over body cam footage is also fucking bullshit, I don't know why any state legislature allows that decision to be left up to police to make.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:07:03 pm by nenjin »
Quote from: Rumi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37189 on: June 02, 2020, 08:02:59 pm »

Oh wow, as 'mourning bands'? Like it's police being victimized right now? The profession is safe as houses! Safer than roofing work, even, on the subject of houses.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37190 on: June 02, 2020, 09:09:36 pm »

Oh wow, as 'mourning bands'? Like it's police being victimized right now? The profession is safe as houses! Safer than roofing work, even, on the subject of houses.

Last I checked, the profession listed as 1 more dangerous (just barely more deaths/member) was preschool student.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37191 on: June 02, 2020, 09:49:11 pm »

"Posted April 16th"

Like, it's shitty, but it's not in response to the current events.
This post likely did not make me any happier, tougher, smarter, or richer. Probably not a good usage of limited time and effort.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37192 on: June 02, 2020, 11:03:12 pm »

Troops deployed to DC with bayonets. Looks like that whole "our military will disobey unlawful orders" thing is being tested and definitely appears to be wishful thinking.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37193 on: June 02, 2020, 11:36:12 pm »

Troops deployed to DC with bayonets. Looks like that whole "our military will disobey unlawful orders" thing is being tested and definitely appears to be wishful thinking.

Yeah, I've never had any faith in that line.  Some might.  But they'll get court martial'd by the rest.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37194 on: June 02, 2020, 11:39:08 pm »

We, uh, still use bayonets?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37195 on: June 02, 2020, 11:44:23 pm »

<insert angry "I guess" guy here>

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37196 on: June 02, 2020, 11:58:34 pm »

We do.

Close quarters combat is STILL a thing, and therefor, tactics and weapons intended for close quarters combat are still things.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37197 on: June 03, 2020, 12:00:40 am »

Apparently they were stowed in their packs as standard kit, but that's definitely an odd thing to end up getting mentioned.

At this rate I suspect things are going to escalate until we have a full-on response involving armed protesters. Bigger question is who'll escalate to large-scale use of lethal force first.

At this rate, my money's on the national guard ventilating a protest and then acting surprised when the next day's protest returns fire.
On DF Wiki On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37198 on: June 03, 2020, 12:15:24 am »

Bigger question is who'll escalate to large-scale use of lethal force first.

We know this already. The "less lethal" equipment used by our police lose their less lethal status if you aim for body or head shots with 40mm rubber ordnance or gas canisters.

https://twitter.com/jusalotofpain/status/1267638427723296768

Not immediately lethal (I hope he's okay but this is all I've seen) in this case but that dude just got lucky. If you can call being the recipient of that particular double tap lucky.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:38:08 am by Mephisto »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37199 on: June 03, 2020, 01:46:44 am »

Oh hey Steve King lost his primary. He's that congressman known for the "when did white nationalism become a bad thing?" comment from last year or so.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 2478 2479 [2480] 2481 2482 ... 2531