Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2523 2524 [2525] 2526 2527 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532464 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37860 on: July 02, 2020, 11:31:21 am »

Trump DOES fancy himself "The very best-- The best president. The most presidential president, there's no need for another president, he's the best. The very best."  and very much likes the totalitarian leaders of the world, yes.

However, his internal power plays inside the whitehouse are far from iron-clad.  See for instance, the near open revolt against his desire to use the military to curb BLM protesters. They basically all told him to go F himself, "no, we wont do that."   If he tries an illegal coup to suspend elections and stay in power, it will be a shitshow, not him having ultimate victory.
Particularly since there are actual procedures for "What if the term ends with no election?" and they very specifically don't include "keep the expired president in power".
The founding fathers had many faults, but they sure were wary of tyrants.

Mostly, yeah. Except for the part where they wanted the president to be able to overrule congress to prevent...*checks notes* abuse of king-like power.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37861 on: July 02, 2020, 11:43:47 am »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/us/seattle-chop-protesters/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B4KktOxLYo

Police "disperse" protesters.  "Stunned" at the "Graffiti and property damage".

(Nevermind all the reputable reports that the shootings were done INTO the zone, not from inside it, and that the likely culprits were white supremacists-- Also nevermind that the property damage (aside from the graffiti on the repurposed precinct building) was also mostly done by plainclothes cops and white supremacists, and that the whole damn area was peaceful as fuck until the authority figures started picking at it like a toddler with chickenpox.)

Now think about what'll happen if they actually get rid of the minneapolis police department.  Think of how many other projects in a better society have been intentionally fucked up by the status quo, which then points at the mess and says "see it doesn't work"

I think the MPD thing is ill-advised.  The carceral system in the US isn't a switch we can flip off.
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37862 on: July 02, 2020, 12:21:56 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/02/886537383/fbi-arrests-ghislaine-maxwell-in-connection-to-jeffrey-epstein-case
Someone else has been arrested in relation to the Epstein case. 

INB4 she expires under dubious circumstances and the whole thing is ruled a suicide.  Again.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37863 on: July 02, 2020, 02:26:48 pm »

About fucking time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37864 on: July 02, 2020, 02:32:58 pm »

Dead man upload in 3, 2...

We can dream, anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #37865 on: July 02, 2020, 02:47:43 pm »

Fun fact, Snowden disliked the idea of a dead man upload for all his pilfered files because it would give foreign governments an incentive to kill him (even if it made the US leery of making him unable to access the dead man switch.)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37866 on: July 02, 2020, 04:03:14 pm »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/us/seattle-chop-protesters/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B4KktOxLYo

Police "disperse" protesters.  "Stunned" at the "Graffiti and property damage".

(Nevermind all the reputable reports that the shootings were done INTO the zone, not from inside it, and that the likely culprits were white supremacists-- Also nevermind that the property damage (aside from the graffiti on the repurposed precinct building) was also mostly done by plainclothes cops and white supremacists, and that the whole damn area was peaceful as fuck until the authority figures started picking at it like a toddler with chickenpox.)

Now think about what'll happen if they actually get rid of the minneapolis police department.  Think of how many other projects in a better society have been intentionally fucked up by the status quo, which then points at the mess and says "see it doesn't work"

I think the MPD thing is ill-advised.  The carceral system in the US isn't a switch we can flip off.

Yeah, what are we going to do without the cops smashing things to blame on protestors, and shooting people?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #37867 on: July 02, 2020, 06:07:20 pm »

INB4 she expires under dubious circumstances and the whole thing is ruled a suicide.  Again.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37868 on: July 04, 2020, 10:41:49 am »

president Trump makes hand gestures and wooing noises whilst asserting "These are not the fascists you're looking for"

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/04/887222928/trump-flouts-virus-rules-warns-of-new-far-left-fascism-in-speech-ahead-of-july-4

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #37870 on: July 04, 2020, 10:02:20 pm »

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1279575273365594112

FUKKEN LOL

Elon Musk “You have my full support” ::)

Is he running on a conservative platform?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37871 on: July 04, 2020, 10:03:42 pm »

With the rest of this year, you might as well have an independent Kanye spoil the election and toss it over to Congress. At which point the House elects Biden as President and the Senate elects Pence as Vice President.

Fucking yikes.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37872 on: July 04, 2020, 10:18:18 pm »

With the rest of this year, you might as well have an independent Kanye spoil the election and toss it over to Congress. At which point the House elects Biden as President and the Senate elects Pence as Vice President.

Fucking yikes.

It's like have two bowls of rapidly cooling unflavored oatmeal in the Oval Office.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37873 on: July 05, 2020, 01:11:06 am »

Oh, if only Mike Pence was raw oatmeal.  He's a true believer, a crusader even.
He's even charismatic to boot!  I suspect he's been closer than a heartbeat from the presidency - he's been one good excuse away.  If "drain the swamp" "populist" Trump hadn't been the Right's obedient little toy, things may have gone Epstein.

That's not *just* me being leery of the "shock the gay away" mascot of the alt-right, he's a dangerously savvy political operator with strong indications of Christian Dominion. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37874 on: July 05, 2020, 01:24:34 am »

I wouldn't say Pence is charismatic, exactly. He's too obviously a psychopath for that. He just goes for the Christian intellectual vote that Trump's dirty uncle strategy doesn't appeal to, and vice-versa.

The weirdest thing about Pence is that he's a Dominionist who's sort of a Catholic. You can see this in his history, where he keeps bouncing between Catholicism and evangelical Lutheranism. I think at this stage the remaining Dominionists are probably willing to scrape the barrel (there have even been some Mormon Dominionists/"Deseret Nationalists" in recent years), but back in the heyday Pence's regrettable...Papism would have seen him marked for liquidation in the case of any Dominionist takeover.

That said, I don't think they could have managed a takeover if Trump was doing centrist populism. I think back to how Trump brought in his own private security teams early on in his term, and I don't know if they're still around or not. Plus, the religious right in all of its forms just doesn't have that strength anymore. They need a protector like Trump even more than he needs them.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2523 2524 [2525] 2526 2527 ... 3511