Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2526 2527 [2528] 2529 2530 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3581202 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37905 on: July 07, 2020, 05:17:54 am »

ICE has declared that foreign students at US universities, that have only been recieving online classes because of corona measures, will need to either pack up and leave the country, or find another education that does offer physical classes before autumn.
No new visa will be given to students that want to apply for a studies that only offers online classes.
The measure is targeted at students with a F-1 student visum.  According to ICE, it also applies to students folowing non-academic courses, like flight schools.

What the hell?  'expose yourself to Covid or fuck off out of our country'.. USA really is a dark, criminal country.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37906 on: July 07, 2020, 05:36:55 am »

F-1 and M-1 visas together total to around 400,000 people, mostly the former.

I believe this is likely meant to pressure the university system to declare that they will reopen and keep them from going back on it. The Trump administration has been pretty clear these past couple weeks that they're taking a "Covid is OVER, and you'd better shut up about it" line and this is a part of that. Since these people also tend to have an obsessive hatred of colleges and few people associated with colleges support them while other people who hate colleges do support them, there's no downside.

The real dark thing about this message though is that it's blackmail - if a college does a trial reopen but then closes again, ICE will go after their foreign students.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37907 on: July 07, 2020, 05:43:37 am »

Yeah I already figured that was the reason for it, to pressure the universities to stop listening to actual scientists and ratio, and start swallowing the retarded Trump BS.

I hope the good people in the US find the strenght to oppose this, because your country is really destroying itself on every possible level.

If I were the universities, I'd organise one or two days of physical classes just before the ICE deadline expires, then, once the new visa have been given out, go back to online classes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:46:47 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37908 on: July 07, 2020, 05:53:23 am »

No, that's not what I mean. This doesn't have anything to do with curriculum.

It's because if they were to do what you propose, ICE would arrive the next day with a subpoena to be given the records of all foreign students, who they would then arrest and deport for overstaying since their visas were invalidated the moment physical classes stopped. Since most of the colleges don't want that to happen, the idea is to force them to hold physical classes indefinitely and then probably to use that as a lever to get the rest of the school system reopened too.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37909 on: July 07, 2020, 06:54:05 am »

I wasn't talking about curriculum either, I was talking about acting rational and listen to scientist concerning corona.
Didn't know they could retract a visum if a university would go back into lockdown.  I thought they just said that foreign students had to attend physcial classes before autumn in order to get a new visum.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:56:23 am by martinuzz »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37910 on: July 07, 2020, 07:19:40 am »

It's a malicious interpretation of the law, but, well, so is this. If the visa's purpose becomes invalidated, which in the eyes of ICE it does the moment someone stops taking physical courses, then so too does its protection. ICE is actually also the direct controller of the student visa program for some ungodly reason, so they can monitor the whole thing closely.

What I'm reading now is that some of the colleges are considering maliciously interpreting this right back by giving their foreign students a mandatory but physical study hall course of which they won't record any attendance.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37911 on: July 07, 2020, 08:00:44 am »

Yeah, there aren't two other candidates, anybody who says so needs to shut their fucking mouth.

We're bleeding to death from a gut wound, voting third party won Trump four years to fuck shit up (seriously, third party vote was larger than the margin by which he won critical states, good job fuckups!) so we need to remove the bullet and patch up the wound, not get calf implants by voting third party like a dumbfuck.

Oh yeah. The only thing that can stop a bad bigoted rapist who will doom the country economically is a good bigoted rapist who will doom the country economically.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37912 on: July 07, 2020, 08:39:03 am »

All work and study visa should come with a period (length value pending) after termination where the holder can look for a new job/place to keep studying so that people are less likely to be held hostage over being reported. We must resist the cattleisation of people.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37913 on: July 07, 2020, 09:00:48 am »

It's a valid strategy!
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37914 on: July 07, 2020, 09:05:37 am »

If there's one thing that's reliable about America First people, it's that they hate everyone who could be said to be associated with America. Any foreigners who live here, anybody who isn't a foreigner but who they feel like should be, anybody who's white enough that they don't see them as a foreigner but disagrees with them on anything, other America First people, and finally themselves. There is nobody who they like, only hierarchies of relative hate.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #37915 on: July 07, 2020, 09:17:36 am »

As someone who's been following the struggle colleges have with reopening, this is actually even more malicious than it first appears. See foreign students don't get financial aid: they pay full price, and with colleges with a high proportion of said students this adds up to a significant portion of their income as well as the financing for the financial aid for local students. Now colleges are given the choice between reopening and all the issues associated (including faculty straight up refusing to teach, which has become an increasingly serious problem), or they can't have foreign students in the country: which for the foreign students will beg the question, why pay for an American school if you can't even enter the country?

Which, from colleges' perspective, is financial suicide. It's impressively devious.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37916 on: July 07, 2020, 10:02:09 am »

I was morbidly curious what our Secretary of Education thought about this.
Absolutely right, @POTUS! Learning must continue for all students. American education must be fully open and fully operational this fall!
Thanks for the input I guess... but that was yesterday!  Just an hour ago she had more to say- about the issue of false sexual harassment claims in schools.

Such leadership, I feel so reassured. 
I guess she might be distracted by all the outrage over her successfully receiving a PPP loan.  How very fortunate that her application made it through the logjam, or she might have had to sell her yacht.  She, several Trump-brand properties (which he doesn't directly own, though family-rules were waved), and a pile of private schools in Michigan... that free-market efficiency works great when you can use government funds to paste over every bad bet.

Nothing about blackmailing universities into risking some lives or ruining others.  It's such an obvious win-win play for the administration that no comment is really necessary.  Particularly since anything that hurts public universities is an extra big win for our Secretary of Education.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37917 on: July 07, 2020, 04:35:03 pm »

Nevermind, I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 03:01:53 am by Max™ »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37918 on: July 07, 2020, 04:42:44 pm »

we have a rare opportunity here to banish all the right wing bullshit forever
That in particular won't happen
 It always pops up again.

Trump's pandemic management might make people reluctant to play with the alt right for a while, though...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37919 on: July 07, 2020, 05:00:33 pm »

Yeah, that's nonsense even under the most pro-DNC viewpoint. Banishing right-wing influence in a lasting way might be possible, but you can hardly get that result from people who have no desire to do that no matter how successful they prove.

As they say, Republicans fantasize about exterminating Democrats and Democrats fantasize about successfully compromising with Republicans. 2008 was as much the political apocalypse for Republicans as 2016 was for the entire rest of humanity, and if you look back to then you'll see people saying things like "the GOP may well be finished as a national political organization". We all know how that song and dance went - if Obama had been as much of a vicious operative as Republican talking heads thought he was he probably could have fucked over the GOP for a generation, this was Dubya's GOP we're talking about. But such knives were only turned to dismantle the progressive organizations who had backed Obama, out of fear of offending conservative America.

Vote for the brain chip that drives the living corpse of Ol' Joe if you think it's best, but don't indulge these fantasies that it will stop or even slow the American Hyperreality which is coming to consume us. You'll get burned if you do, and then who knows what novelties will infest you? The Obama/Trump voter group came from somewhere, after all.

If it makes you feel better, I admit openly that Biden is no more the problem with the center as Trump is the problem with the right or Bernie the problem with the left. We're just kind of a shitty delusional society full of shitty delusional people, and you can't find a true location with a false map except by accident.

Trump's pandemic management might make people reluctant to play with the alt right for a while, though...
Why not, this is absolutely a #PromiseKept. The promise was killing people and pissing all over everything just to prove that he can, but that was still what he promised.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2526 2527 [2528] 2529 2530 ... 3513