Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2529 2530 [2531] 2532 2533 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532827 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37950 on: July 08, 2020, 03:16:49 pm »

The problem is that religous schools are using it to discriminate against minority groups. It's one thing to ask people to sign a beliefs statement, another to kick them out of (government subsidized) religous high school for being black/gay/disabled.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37951 on: July 08, 2020, 03:19:23 pm »

For as Jesus said: "If one among your wretched womenfolk shall develop tumors of the breast, she is surely damned. Cast the enemy out! There is no greater commandment than this."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37952 on: July 08, 2020, 03:39:29 pm »

For as Jesus said: "If one among your wretched womenfolk shall develop tumors of the breast, she is surely damned. Cast the enemy out! There is no greater commandment than this."

Exactly.  And that's why I personally freely choose not to associate with groups (religious or otherwise) that have a modus operandi of being mean to people.

I'm starting to get to the point where I'm looking for ways not only to disassociate with those groups but more actively oppose them.  I'm leaning toward the "oppose by doing the opposite as visibly as possible", not the "oppose by violence" approaches.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37953 on: July 08, 2020, 03:46:24 pm »

Yo Song of Solomon 7 is basically just him strummin' a ballad about his deep appreciation for healthy, symmetrical tiddies.

Song of Solomon 7:3
Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins.

Song of Solomon 7:7
This thy stature is like to a palm tree, and thy breasts to clusters of grapes.

Song of Solomon 7:8
I said, I will go up to the palm tree, I will take hold of the boughs thereof: now also thy breasts shall be as clusters of the vine, and the smell of thy nose like apples;

This religious anti boob law crap is garbage.

Also, churches/mosques/etc shouldn't be allowed to fire based on anything that isn't 200% clearly against their tenets. To facilitate this and avoid churches using religious exemption as a racist bludgeon, a religious organization with paid positions should be required to submit a hiring document that says exactly what a person can and cannot be fired for based on religious reasons. All else should be subject to normal federal protections.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37954 on: July 08, 2020, 04:10:59 pm »

If you make profit, you're a business not a religion, and you should have no exemption whatsoever. The whole doctrine of ministerial exemption is absurdly unconstitutional, it's just state establishment by way of exemption instead of endorsement. They can get over having to live around women, and LGBT, and other races, and other religions, and atheists, and apparently now breast cancer patients just like everyone else.

I'm seeing a suggestion now that this ruling may backfire somewhat on the religious schools and such, though. Since ministerial bigotry is now the law of the land, these positions are now the most legally precarious in America - nothing of the past century of employment protection applies. I feel sorry for all the poor bastards trapped in those positions now, but it may come to pass that all these organizations now have to explicitly declare teachers and such to be non-ministerial so someone will actually apply for the fucking job since they know there's a photo of them with beer in hand floating around the internet.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37955 on: July 08, 2020, 04:53:58 pm »

Know what would make free association really easy to put into practice?  If necessities (food, shelter, healthcare at least) were guaranteed to all.  Suddenly just about any situation wherein one person or group wants to separate from another person or group is not such a big deal, and there's little need to fight over what reasons are acceptable.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37956 on: July 08, 2020, 05:13:51 pm »

If you make profit, you're a business not a religion, and you should have no exemption whatsoever.

This is also true.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37957 on: July 08, 2020, 05:15:24 pm »

Know what would make free association really easy to put into practice?  If necessities (food, shelter, healthcare at least) were guaranteed to all.  Suddenly just about any situation wherein one person or group wants to separate from another person or group is not such a big deal, and there's little need to fight over what reasons are acceptable.

The fact that healthcare is tied to your job is a real shackle.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37958 on: July 08, 2020, 05:17:33 pm »

The fact that healthcare is tied to your job is a real shackle.

I can't change jobs because I can't get health insurance as good as I can here. My wife works full time, but is technically a part time employee (nurse) so she has no health options.

Mind you I don't really want to change jobs right now, but I also can't. I'm just lucky enough to have a stable job that I don't hate.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37959 on: July 08, 2020, 05:34:12 pm »

Nevermind, I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 03:00:29 am by Max™ »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37960 on: July 08, 2020, 06:07:50 pm »

one group is actively trying to accelerate our transition into some hypercapitalist white supremacist dystopia and the other is doing literally anything else.

He says while telling me to vote for someone who was key to the legislative agenda most damaging to racial minorities of the last 30 years, and who openly advocates hypercapitalist politics.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #37961 on: July 08, 2020, 06:30:12 pm »

Wait, come again, what even are the (religious) arguments for disciminating against breast cancer patients? I mean, it’s a well known fact that ”love thy neighbor” isn’t the best followed tenet, but this specific case is new to me (a European).

Regarding Trump and Biden, one reason for endorsing Biden is that Trump, if reelected, probably won’t want to step down come 2024, and that scenario won’t happen if he’s out of office already. I say this knowing his personality, his admiration of dictators, and vague memories of it making (reddit) news when he retweeted a ”Trump 2024” tweet. The last might be a false memory, but I still don’t see my prediction failing.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37962 on: July 08, 2020, 06:53:24 pm »

Quote from: Max™
Don't try to condescend when you're coming off like a nihilistic teenager, it's ridiculous.

I'm sorry it took me a while to respond, the impact from the irony of this statement knocked me unconscious.

Everything you've put forward is to say vote Dem because I'm angry at the Repubs. The DNC will save us all forever with ridiculous fantasy scenarios that I don't plan on backing up with evidence, and don't talk to me about all the ways that they deliberately and historically enable and support the system that allows the GOP to thrive, or how they buddy up to every corporate interest that comes their way while pretending to be anti-capitalist, or how they tout racial equality with all the moral sincerity that can fit in a 5 second tweet on their way home from a corporate fundrasier.

Stop asking questions and agree with me immediately, you idiot children.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #37963 on: July 08, 2020, 07:11:37 pm »

Wait, come again, what even are the (religious) arguments for disciminating against breast cancer patients? I mean, it’s a well known fact that ”love thy neighbor” isn’t the best followed tenet, but this specific case is new to me (a European).

Something something...God's sign to avoid this person...something something...God's plan.

You can find justification for hating anyone if you look in the bible hard enough, and unfortunately, most people just follow the word of their charasmatic preacher/priest (despite that being against the whole Protestant idea.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37964 on: July 08, 2020, 07:14:33 pm »

The argument was not specifically that breast cancer patients are sinners, but that the ministerial exemption for religious school employees means the school doesn't have to follow discrimination law at all in their decisions. The United States Supreme Court agreed 7-2 with this argument.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2529 2530 [2531] 2532 2533 ... 3511