Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2532 2533 [2534] 2535 2536 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593497 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #37995 on: July 09, 2020, 08:13:40 pm »

Most of these rulings have already been made, but are issued in a batch to give the justices (and their aides) time to write, revise, proofread, proofread, proofread, and proofread the arguments. A small error in a SCOTUS ruling (or even a dissent) could be an enormous problem, especially if it isn't noticed for ten years or so.

If anything, SCOTUS has seemed more willing to punt this year, and I think this is partly due to a desire not to affect the election.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37996 on: July 09, 2020, 09:43:22 pm »

Nevermind, I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:58:43 am by Max™ »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37997 on: July 09, 2020, 10:34:22 pm »

There is a chance this year to use the violent backlash coming against Trump and his enablers to force some real change and maybe even trigger events that lead to another new deal era, but you want me to listen to you grumble because Biden pushed shitty legislation nearly 30 years ago?

How anybody can fail to see the potential to permanently banish the republican party as it currently exists from having any influence over the country as a worthwhile outcome is fucking mindboggling to me.

I'll grant that the democrats are goddamn far from ideal and have a lot of shit to answer for if you'll grant that stomping your feet and demanding ideological purity only helps the republicans who have been actively ruining everything they touch for decades.

Again, what you have to convince me of is that Democrats are our allies in this effort.

It's not about ideological purity or tolerance for the lesser evil.

I don't agree with your assertion that giving Democrats the power to banish the Republican party means they will actually choose to use that power to banish the Republican party.

The issues I cite are not to describe why I dislike Biden.  They're evidence that if you give him power, he will not use it to produce the outcome you are describing.

I don't know how I can state this any clearer?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:38:45 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37998 on: July 10, 2020, 01:22:03 am »

At least there's some good news for a change.

So refreshing to see my country being held to its promises.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/us/supreme-court-oklahoma-mcgirt-creek-nation.html

(Supreme court rules in 5:4 decision, that all the reservations promised in Oklahoma are indeed Indian Territorial regions, and not state property.)

I can just FEEL (vicariously) all those conservative assholes puckering up like babies eating lemons right now.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37999 on: July 10, 2020, 05:01:06 am »

I guess Trump is trying to appease the anti-racist voters by ordering the execution of white supremacist murderer Daniel Lewis Lee to take place coming monday.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38000 on: July 10, 2020, 08:26:50 am »

Most anti-racist folks are also anti-death penalty, so...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38001 on: July 10, 2020, 08:36:16 am »

Cynically, I'd say this aint for them, but is for those who need a little something to sleep well at night. Trump isn't a racist, they can say, Confederate flag hanging from the wall, and neither am I. I've got a black friend.

Most likely a way to keep voters rather than gain any new ones.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38002 on: July 10, 2020, 11:26:50 am »

Uh... what can the president even influence when it comes to executions?  The president can pardon people for federal crimes, but that's about it, isn't it?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38003 on: July 10, 2020, 12:20:25 pm »

I have to say, I never considered the perspective that Trump might see this as him making a concession. I can certainly see how he could not understand that anti-racists probably mostly don't want already convicted racists executed. But I still think this is probably more of another shield for his supporters to use, this one made of blood.

Most executions in the US happen in the state legal systems, but both the federal government and the military also have execution statues, albeit rarely used. Trump did this by instructing the Department of Justice to end the moratorium on federal executions that has been in place for the past 15 years or so.

If bloody hands is what he wants, I suppose he could instruct the military to execute people since his powers as Commander in Chief are even more wide ranging. I'm not sure what the legal limits there even are, since it happens outside the rest of US law, but I'd have to imagine there would be 8th Amendment challenges if Trump just ordered 5-year Leavenworth stints to be changed to firing squads.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38004 on: July 10, 2020, 01:10:48 pm »

Could also just be testing his powers, see if he can get away with having US citizens executed as a trial run for anyone else he labels a terrorist

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38005 on: July 10, 2020, 01:32:52 pm »

Could also just be testing his powers, see if he can get away with having US citizens executed as a trial run for anyone else he labels a terrorist

I suppose but I imagine the bar on that would be much higher than someone actually guilty of murder. ACLU would have a field day with those kinds of things.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38006 on: July 10, 2020, 01:46:14 pm »

I suppose but I imagine the bar on that would be much higher than someone actually guilty of murder. ACLU would have a field day with those kinds of things.
Something that future presidents of whatever color will keep as an option and maybe expand upon in ‘exceptional cases’. 
Then eventually someone will label and execute ‘terrorists’ behind the courthouse without any waiting time for appeals or anything.

In these times, people already claim and think others following a different political ideology are traitors of the nation.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38007 on: July 10, 2020, 01:50:32 pm »

The crimes were grisly. Daniel Lewis Lee murdered a family of three, including an 8-year-old girl. He's been on death row since 1999; his execution is scheduled for July 13. Wesley Ira Purkey, who raped and murdered a 16-year-old girl, will be put to death on July 15. Dustin Lee Honken, who shot and killed five people, will be executed July 17. Keith Dwayne Nelson, who kidnapped, raped and strangled a 10-year-old girl to death with a wire, will be executed Aug. 28.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Trump wanting executions again still, technically, falls within generally accepted guidelines for executions elsewhere. I.e, horrible crimes. Not protesting or smashing some windows or calling him an orange colored sump rat.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #38008 on: July 10, 2020, 01:54:43 pm »

having US citizens executed as a trial run for anyone else he labels a terrorist
Don't we already do this? With drones and missiles?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38009 on: July 10, 2020, 01:57:41 pm »

having US citizens executed as a trial run for anyone else he labels a terrorist
Don't we already do this? With drones and missiles?
Not on US soil
Pages: 1 ... 2532 2533 [2534] 2535 2536 ... 3515