Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2533 2534 [2535] 2536 2537 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3535217 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38010 on: July 10, 2020, 02:00:00 pm »

The guy being executed was already on death row... right? How does this count as Trump doing his own thing or being able to skirt around requirements for the executive branch executing people?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38011 on: July 10, 2020, 02:32:03 pm »

It's Trump's thing because he ended the moratorium. It's legal enough, but the use of the death penalty itself has always been doubted by the judiciary under the 8th amendment, hence why it gets put on multi-decades long moratoriums so often.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38012 on: July 10, 2020, 02:38:08 pm »

having US citizens executed as a trial run for anyone else he labels a terrorist
Don't we already do this? With drones and missiles?
Not on US soil

Not missiles, anyway. Drones have been used since Obama.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #38013 on: July 10, 2020, 05:21:56 pm »

It's Trump's thing because he ended the moratorium. It's legal enough, but the use of the death penalty itself has always been doubted by the judiciary under the 8th amendment, hence why it gets put on multi-decades long moratoriums so often.

Ah.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38014 on: July 10, 2020, 07:15:39 pm »

Nevermind, I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:58:26 am by Max™ »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38015 on: July 10, 2020, 07:23:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:29:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38016 on: July 10, 2020, 07:49:49 pm »

I'm tired of arguing why republicans aren't democrats

I believe your argument was "idiots" "shut up" and trying to use guilt that something bad would happen if literally anyone other than your favorite was elected, except you couldn't say what.

Are you afraid someone else would protect Roe v Wade? Prevent banks from ruining people's lives? Let black people have equal rights?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:16:03 pm by Iduno »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38017 on: July 10, 2020, 08:12:55 pm »

Nevermind, I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:58:15 am by Max™ »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38018 on: July 10, 2020, 08:53:24 pm »

Because you're making wild claims about the will and efficacy of both Biden and the Democratic Party as a whole, such as "permanantly get rid of the Republicans" and "fix everything Trump did".

We would like to hear some reason to believe any of that will actually happen as a result of electing Biden, even electing him in a landslide, particularly given that Biden did not go after Dubya's actions the last time he was in the White House.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #38019 on: July 10, 2020, 08:57:16 pm »

The true president of 2020 is gonna be cognitive decline
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38020 on: July 10, 2020, 09:52:51 pm »

Nevermind, I don't care.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:58:03 am by Max™ »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38021 on: July 10, 2020, 10:36:00 pm »

The true president of 2020 is gonna be cognitive decline

I'm getting a tattoo of this.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38022 on: July 10, 2020, 10:38:20 pm »

Most other countries brain drain into America. America brain drains into the cold and unforgiving sea of boomerism.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38023 on: July 11, 2020, 12:03:11 am »

If I may indulge in a little "both sides", I think voting for Biden while loudly pointing out his failings can be good praxis.

It bears repeating that there are many other elections on one's ballot, for one thing.  The presidential election is a farce, but things get more nuanced downballot, with third parties even having a chance at times.  Sorry if that's obvious to everyone here- I had to drag some friends toward the primary because they'd lost so much hope.

But even voting for Biden is defensible in my opinion.  I'm mortified by his part in the Iraq war, and the war on drugs.  "...but-"
Leftist goals like- sorry no, centrist goals like universal healthcare and environmental reform aren't going to be championed by this liberal geezer.  But I don't think he would veto them, so what does it matter?  The legislative branch is what's truly important.

Now the controversial part- I think the Democratic party is useful for advancing progressive interests in Congress.  The popular support for most of the core ideas is there, but the political capital isn't - and that's just how the corrupt current system works.  So we have AOC and Sanders running Democrat, and I think that's okay.  The DNC doesn't want a progressive president, but is willing to support progressives in the House and maybe Senate.  That's the power and compromise of a coalition.

I'm expecting to hear that we're too late for incremental change, and I get that.  Our nation is literally falling apart *right now* due to the Republican party.  People dying due to a party's recalcitrance.  I don't blame conservatives, I blame the party that fell in with corporations, then ancaps, then racial populists.

I'm not exactly sure how the Democrats were supposed to stop that from happening.  It almost looks like they adapted with America's culture, and are only losing due to their opponents resorting to increasingly fiendish measures.  While both are very well paid, one side has admitted LGBTQ and women's rights, and wants to end the war on minorities drugs.  Yes Biden supported it in the past.  He now supports decriminalization.

The Democrats take a lot of money, but that's the reality of how our democracy is rigged.  I had hope that Sanders would prove me wrong there, and it wasn't his fault that he failed.

Edit: Little thought I had:  To speak with one voice is to only be one person.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 12:07:01 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38024 on: July 11, 2020, 12:54:59 am »

I'm not going to tell you all not to vote for Biden - Trump seems to have critically failed to take over the military in his clear wish to be President-For-Life, but that's incompetence, not lack of will. I'm just saying to be realistic, and by "realistic" I mean to realize that the American people are garbage and thus produce garbage results. If there is anyone to remember us we may yet be remembered even worse than the Nazis, because even the Nazis didn't succeed at destroying the world. We are not alone in our crimes, but we are certainly the first among them.

Say Max gets his wish - Biden landslides, DNC gets 2/3rds majorities in both houses, Trump has to be violently arrested on live TV after denying the results, and maybe Clarence Thomas succumbs to COVID this December. As happened in 2008, someone will opine on CNN that "the Republican Party as a national organization is done".

Now, that stuff isn't going to happen. Every Presidential election from now until the death of America is going to be a regression-to-the-mean 51/49 psychotic deathmatch with probably some more Republicans winning on the Electoral College. But let us fantasize.

So what? Democratic One-Party Rule existed in 2008 too, but it doesn't change the fundamental nature of the Democratic Party. 2008-2010 was the optimal time for the DNC to prove they had any amount of fucking chutzpah - people were openly calling for the heads of bankers in the streets! And what we got was nothing. A bloodless healthcare law that seemed like it was designed from the ground up to piss everyone off by fining them, with a nice little "you can't be left to die on the streets if you've ever been sick in your life before" clause. Patriot Act? Extended. Guantanamo? Open for business. Iraq and Afghanistan? Rational extermination from the skies in stead of proud boots on the ground bleeding for Christ. And the bankers? The motherfuckers who not a single good human being would ever associate with and destroyed the entire human race's economy? They gave them our fucking money!

Can you even fucking blame people for being taken in by the Tea Party? At least the Tea Party was willing to show some goddamn rage!

The Democratic Party won't be insufficient, it will be nothing. Rapist Joe won't even question the drug war! The most basic fucking thing that the GOP can't pick up that everyone supports doing. I don't know what drives Democrats. Republicans? I understand them very well. But the thing that most strikes me about Democrats is that in the right circumstances they show every bit the impenetrable cultist attitude of the most ardent Trumpists. Like the Trumpists, they will find any excuse to do nothing if it is the will of the DNC bosses. In a way, they are also Trump cultists, but their focus is simply one of monomaniacal obsession rather than adoration.

America is doomed. And I understand now that it was doomed long before Sanders ever got a single vote for Mayor of Burlington, because we are bad people. We are the dying fucking empire! How can a dead tree ever bear fruit? The problem isn't these politicians, the problem is us. We're just getting the demented rapist conservatives that we deserve to run this place.

In 2030, if we somehow live that long, will we be less doomed when the boomers lose their grasp on the heart of this society? I fucking doubt it. Vote for Biden, then. Enjoy our descent how ever you care to. But claim we have hope from the Democratic Party or the silent majority, and you're denying the reality around you.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2533 2534 [2535] 2536 2537 ... 3511