Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2538 2539 [2540] 2541 2542 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3607282 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38085 on: July 16, 2020, 10:15:27 pm »

don't worry, buy GOYA(tm) beans
Wait what's the joke here
I like GOYA(tm) beans and I have lots of beans in my preparation stash, am I making a political statement
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38086 on: July 16, 2020, 10:31:19 pm »

I don’t get it either, what is GOTA standing for here?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38087 on: July 16, 2020, 10:40:10 pm »

GOYA is a brand name that sells Mexican food, the CEO kissed Trump's ass and people freaked out that a company that has many Hispanic customers was so nice to the racist that runs the concentration camps at the Mexican border, so then Trump took a picture with a bunch of GOYA products in the oval office which is ethically questionable.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38088 on: July 16, 2020, 10:54:58 pm »

It's the long con to trick Trump into loving Mexican food, and becoming less racist through cultural appropriation.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38089 on: July 17, 2020, 01:56:49 am »

Looks like Trump's ordered hospitals not to send covid data to the CDC, but instead straight to the white house. They've got a bespoke database built by private company Palantir, which is run by Trump supporter Peter Thiel. So effectively they want to hoover up all the Covid data and stick it into some proprietary database run and managed by a third party pro-Trump company. Sounds like a nightmare for transparency, and the motivation is clear, since they'll have a private database with all the data in it, Trump can finally control those "numbers" he's always worried about.

I just had to google Palantir:

The company's name is derived from The Lord of the Rings where the magical palantír were "seeing-stones" which allowed their users to communicate with each other or to see faraway parts of the world, until they were corrupted by Sauron.

Let us hope that this corruption will not take place then. However as Peter Thiel is an investor in Clearview, I will not set my expectations too high...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 02:06:17 am by Bralbaard »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38091 on: July 17, 2020, 03:21:37 am »

I'm reminded of the ancient Star Chambers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Chamber

And it occurs to me that if "police" are just roving around, in an unmarked vehicle, with nothing to identify them as police, that some people might come to the conclusion "these aren't police" and then open fire on them in self-defense. Cause if they aren't identifying themselves as police, then they're clearly some weird camouflage-wearing terrorists, and who wouldn't defend themselves against such a threat?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38092 on: July 17, 2020, 03:39:50 am »

You know, if people just learned how to quietly obey without question then the government wouldn't have to go full-fascist on you in the first place. You're only making it harder for them.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38093 on: July 17, 2020, 07:36:32 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:30:20 pm by dragdeler »
let

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38094 on: July 17, 2020, 12:01:09 pm »

And it occurs to me that if "police" are just roving around, in an unmarked vehicle, with nothing to identify them as police, that some people might come to the conclusion "these aren't police" and then open fire on them in self-defense. Cause if they aren't identifying themselves as police, then they're clearly some weird camouflage-wearing terrorists, and who wouldn't defend themselves against such a threat?

Just checking...

You do know that this is the basis of a lot of police violence incidents and miscarriages of justice, right?  Such as with Breonna Taylor.  Police decide it's a great idea fairly often to terrorize people in plain clothes without identifying themselves, and then respond with excessive violence and legal charges when their victims attempt self-defense or are non-compliant when they have no idea they're interacting with law enforcement.  Bonus points when there was zero legal or ethical justification for the interaction in the first place, as with the Breonna Taylor case, again.  That's not an uncommon, isolated incident.  It happens quite a lot.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38095 on: July 17, 2020, 12:11:44 pm »

Ah, secret police.  Given carte blanche to operate, without pesky things like oversight and responsibility.

God Bless America
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38096 on: July 17, 2020, 12:15:51 pm »

Hey, remember that discussion a few weeks back about Pentagon/DoD positions being less prone to Trump loyalists?

Well maybe that's less true. Granted this doesn't (I think) mean he can do that sort of thing with actual generals, but it is concerning. As if everything else going on isn't concerning enough.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38097 on: July 17, 2020, 12:17:48 pm »

Was told that I need to tear up my ballot and not vote now because you are not supposed to be able to know that much about the candidates while voting and that it's not fair.  I asked how it's not fair and was just told that the way the polls work you aren't supposed to be able to look anyone up.

That's the opposite of how it should work. Who was the person who thought otherwise?

GOYA is a brand name that sells Mexican food, the CEO kissed Trump's ass and people freaked out that a company that has many Hispanic customers was so nice to the racist that runs the concentration camps at the Mexican border, so then Trump took a picture with a bunch of GOYA products in the oval office which is ethically questionable.

They've been supporters for a long time. There was a thing with Trump and Ted Cruz years ago.

Just checking...

You do know that this is the basis of a lot of police violence incidents and miscarriages of justice, right?  Such as with Breonna Taylor.  Police decide it's a great idea fairly often to terrorize people in plain clothes without identifying themselves, and then respond with excessive violence and legal charges when their victims attempt self-defense or are non-compliant when they have no idea they're interacting with law enforcement.  Bonus points when there was zero legal or ethical justification for the interaction in the first place, as with the Breonna Taylor case, again.  That's not an uncommon, isolated incident.  It happens quite a lot.

It also keeps people from being able to prove it was them in video when they kill people/destroy businesses (like the auto parts store in Minneapolis that allowed police to start more violent crackdowns). They've been doing it for a long time.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38098 on: July 17, 2020, 12:54:22 pm »

It's the long con to trick Trump into loving Mexican food, and becoming less racist through cultural appropriation.

You must have missed this infamous tweet during the 2016 election. He loves Hispanics!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38099 on: July 17, 2020, 01:31:37 pm »

I had some random guy leave a door hanger on my front door this morning, despite signs telling people that I'd rather have no solicitors, asking me to please vote Republican this November.  It listed, among other things, that Donald Trump and the Republicans are fighting COVID-19 hard.

I was a little surprised at how brazen the lying was.  A little.

Then I scribbled a mustache on Trump's face and tossed it in the garbage.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 2538 2539 [2540] 2541 2542 ... 3515