Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2560 2561 [2562] 2563 2564 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3600664 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38415 on: August 01, 2020, 09:05:20 am »

The polls don't matter if Trump won't accept a loss.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38416 on: August 01, 2020, 10:16:01 am »

Articles point out that Clinton and Trump did periodically narrow the gap to nothing.
[...]
There are no large swings happening this year at all, so for one to hit Biden at the end, that's just gotta come out of the blue completely.
With it being on the edge, then, it would be wise (if you could) to keep nudging to keep it like that. Hone things. Especially if (assuming you subscribe to this idea) the point behind the effort was to make either end-result inconclusive enough for your own purposes, possibly even favouring/expecting a lame-Hillary to pop out at the other end, but the coin fell on the other side...

The same could not happen this time. With Trump apparently happy to keep digging just so he can fling dirt out at anyone staring down at him in his strange little hole, such nudges would go to waste. Neither would they bring him back to balance nor could they look extraordinary enough against what is happening.

I don't credit Trump for any grand plans, here, even if they do exist. I imagine he'd have hardly mentioned TikTok bans if it weren't for the users making him look stupid (and, though he wouldn't credit them for it, possibly saving a lot of lives as a side-effect). (And I'm also convinced that TikTok is not a significant (if at all) intelligence resource for China, or they wouldn't be so passive about it.). I think he just hasn't noticed/admitted that the dealer in his card-game is no longer giving him better hands than he'd get by pure chance and so now he's left with his rather low and chaotic 'skill' at the game. (He obviously hates any successful person who isn't propping up his own success. Deep, deep envy, only tempered when they do him a favour.)

Data points =1? I'm going by 2000, 2004, perhaps 2008, not sure about 2012... So 2016 was just the latest iteration and I think didn't even go to plan (which was more an opportunistic retweak according to circumstance, than a continuation of a monolithic scheme left unchanged since its divine inception) but leaves the possibility that lessons have been learnt and possibilities explored that might be explored again if they seem to fit.

But that's just wild speculation on my part, I know. I doubt any Big Conspiracy would be effable enough for me to crack its ultimate nature so easily. I lean more towards it being a lot of Political Griefing by rando players who do not have so much direct interest in this game arena, but join in just to troll those who do.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38417 on: August 01, 2020, 10:54:43 am »

Trump was actually ahead on the polls on July 31st in 2016 however. Here's the comparison between the two years:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/trump-vs-biden-national-polls-2020-vs-2016/

Notice how Clinton was constantly on the knife edge, dipping to break-even with Trump repeatedly? That's what's different this time. There is no edge, one candidate is consistently ahead and not dropping back into competitive territory.

As for previous years note how the two candidates normally trade places during the race:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2004/president/us/general_election_bush_vs_kerry-939.html

It's actually abnormal to be so solidly in the lead for so long during an election as it is this year. Trump has basically the worst polls of any incumbent president in living history. Even Jimmy Carter was even in the polls a couple months out. Trump's been trailing by a solid margin for basically the whole time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:07:46 am by Reelya »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38418 on: August 01, 2020, 11:41:57 am »

The polls don't matter if Trump won't accept a loss.

That's my concern as well, to be honest. It doesn't even matter if he merely has a tantrum over it and doesn't try to act on it, any degree of resistance to the loss may risk destabilizing matters further at this point, and any action actually taken may set a concerning precedent.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38419 on: August 01, 2020, 12:08:16 pm »

Make preparations for protests
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38420 on: August 01, 2020, 12:13:59 pm »

Let’s see how brutal the police get on the right-wing protesters.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38421 on: August 01, 2020, 12:18:48 pm »

What a time to be alive.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38422 on: August 01, 2020, 12:52:05 pm »

"Some thing something interesting times" - me quoting Loud Whispers quoting some other guy, probably. Maybe Hemingway?
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38423 on: August 01, 2020, 01:01:08 pm »

What's with you people and Hemingway (I'm referring to the false baby shoes story there)?

The interesting times thing is widely held to be Chinese proverb. It isn't, and that's apocryphal, but it definitely isn't Hemingway. Are there actually any short pithy quotes that are actually Hemingway? EDIT: yes there are, but almost all of them seem to be about being a writer or getting drunk.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:03:52 pm by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38424 on: August 01, 2020, 01:14:58 pm »

It's entirely possible that someone's got a "Biden's Emails!" equivalent set of flingable-poo ready[1] to scissor the polling lines back across each other at a key moment.

He's a bigoted (wildly racist, supported Doma, hates the poor, etc.), a serial rapist (8 women have come forward with credible complaints over the years), anti-environment, and wants to dismantle social programs to fund the banks and military. He's a better-spoken Trump. Neoliberals and Republicans want him to win so they get what they want and can blame the left wing (which doesn't exist in politics) for all of the fallout that happens. Same as with Obama.

Let’s see how brutal the police get on the right-wing protesters.

They usually work with them, and find some "counter-protestors" to lynch/blame any violence on.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38425 on: August 01, 2020, 01:28:17 pm »

There’s still a Green Party, right? If we can all agree that both main options are bad, why not vote for someone better? It’s gotten to the point where the “two parties” are basically the same party pretending to be separate

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38426 on: August 01, 2020, 01:33:29 pm »

They have their own problems, and not enough people will vote for them regardless. Voting third party in the US is functionally just giving a free vote to whichever party you like the least. That might change a bit if we can get enough dems in and enough pressure on them to actually push through the election reform they've been proposing, but we ain't there this year.

The two parties are wildly fucking different, though. There's vague interactions on some issues and a lot of horseshit brought about due to how fucked up the american system is, but anyone claiming the two parties are actually functionally identical have their heads up their ass and haven't been paying a single goddamn bit of attention for the last, I'unno, century or so.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38427 on: August 01, 2020, 01:38:27 pm »

Notice how Clinton was constantly on the knife edge, dipping to break-even with Trump repeatedly? That's what's different this time. There is no edge, one candidate is consistently ahead and not dropping back into competitive territory.
This is what I was already talking about, what you now seem to think I ought to know. Maybe I didn't word it readably, though. That happens.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38428 on: August 01, 2020, 01:54:10 pm »

There’s still a Green Party, right? If we can all agree that both main options are bad, why not vote for someone better? It’s gotten to the point where the “two parties” are basically the same party pretending to be separate

If enough people agree, you could get a Third (or, if enough people agree to skip, 4th, 5th, 6th) Party, yes.

The trouble is that not enough people will, and 3P voters from who might naturally ally to one of the 2P parties positions can, by migrating away from their 'somewhat acceptable second choice' lead to the 'not at all acceptible' other main party winning. Without too many assumptions, you can see that this probably happened in 2016.

Aside from the constant die-hards with eternal hope[1], you have to pursuade enough potential Green voters that you have pursuaded enough potential Green voters before potentially enough vote Green. Or whatever other flavour of Thirdness you favour.

[1] And, potentially conversley, those convinced it doesn't matter, that it's a sure thing someone else will win, that their vote doesn't count. So they'll make it not count their way.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38429 on: August 01, 2020, 02:03:22 pm »

Don't vote for the anti-vax party
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2560 2561 [2562] 2563 2564 ... 3515