Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2561 2562 [2563] 2564 2565 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3582013 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #38430 on: August 01, 2020, 02:05:04 pm »

There’s still a Green Party, right? If we can all agree that both main options are bad, why not vote for someone better? It’s gotten to the point where the “two parties” are basically the same party pretending to be separate

Don't vote for the anti-vax party
Is the Green Party anti fax? I didn’t know that, I thought they were just environmentalist

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38431 on: August 01, 2020, 02:11:19 pm »

Faxes use electricity and are thus a danger to the environment.
Green Party only wants mail carrier pigeons.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38432 on: August 01, 2020, 02:16:04 pm »

(And, dear Ninja...)
Is the Green Party anti fax? I didn’t know that, I thought they were just environmentalist
Thermal paper is harder to recycle...

:p

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38433 on: August 01, 2020, 02:16:48 pm »

Auto correct screwed it up, I meant to ask if they are anti vaxx. I like when a typo allows me to learn via someone teaching me that thermal paper is harder to recycle, also that faxes use thermal paper, also that thermal paper exists

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38434 on: August 01, 2020, 02:43:18 pm »

(We knew  8) )

I don't think it's all green-types, but you can see how those who tend towards "don't disturb nature" might veer towards one degree or other of decrying certain 'unnatural' medical interventions. Either for themselves, as a matter of principle, or because it encourages there to be a whole lot more people in the world messing it up (an external policy).

OTOH, there are people who are Anti-Vax because of very wrong ideas, and I'm sure some of those have both very right and very wrong ideas in the Green arena too.

I'll be honest, I don't know the Full Official policy list of the US Green Party (because, frankly, I can't ever see it being relevent to me other than discussions like this). I would not be surprised if it featured such an extreme, though, because being small-c conservative in your general list of conservation matters just isn't going to excite anyone, is it?

Being Anti-Vax is probably going to hoover up some people. Perhaps more than they lose from being it?

[1] No, they (probably) wouldn't actually kill people, but anyone who succumbs stops/never starts reproducing, etc, etc...

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:45:00 pm by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38435 on: August 01, 2020, 02:48:39 pm »

I doubt a environmentalist party nescessarily attracts more people with a 'don't disturb nature' stance.
take care of the environment =/= don't disturb nature

At least over here it doesn't.  Groen Links (the dutch 'green' party) isn't known, at all, for having affiliation with anti-vaxxers.

Usually green parties consist of rather well educated people.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38436 on: August 01, 2020, 02:55:59 pm »

There's really only three types of people who vote third party (as opposed to not voting at all) in the US: hardened but essentially honest political operators, ideological extremists of the relevant stripe, and nutjobs. As such, each of the "major" third parties (Libertarian, Green, and Constitution) have a pretty sizable contention of nutjobs.

Thus the Libertarians consider it controversial to not pledge you'll pass an executive order against drivers license enforcement and the Greens at least want to "consider alternative methods of medicine". Constitution doesn't really count because they're openly Christofascist and thus are all nutjobs, but I suppose if one was a regular Republican voter they might find it nutjoby that Constitution are paleocons and thus want to eliminate social security entirely while withdrawing the US from the world and not doing imperialism anymore.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38437 on: August 01, 2020, 03:00:15 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:34:18 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38438 on: August 01, 2020, 03:31:45 pm »

I just remember them taking a pro-anti-vax stance in the 2016 elections
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38439 on: August 01, 2020, 03:36:31 pm »

Do the democrats have anyone who cares about the environment?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #38440 on: August 01, 2020, 03:37:51 pm »

The Speaker of the House would get the job as long as the Speaker is still in-term. While it's California and not the federal government that is handling Pelosi's district, there's nothing normal about the President casually suggesting we cancel democracy to begin with. If the House can't get reelected then they're all gone, and Chuck Grassley of the Senate becomes President.

Of course, by that point I imagine Trump will just have Congress arrested anyway. You know, that's an interesting hole in our electoral law, just don't allow the election to happen and you effectively abolish the House immediately and the Senate over the next couple of years.
This is a bit old, but it recently came to my attention that this is not a viable stratagem, as, given the 1/3 of the Senate currently running for re-election would lose their position, this would effectively put Senate Democrats into the majority and thus Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy would be next in line for President pro tempore.

However the rule which makes the oldest serving member of the majority party pro tempore is a custom: they could freely appoint Elizabeth Warren or Kamala Harris. In fact there's no requirement in statute or the Constitution that it be a current member of Congress: they could if they so desired throw the office to Hillary Clinton or Al Gore if so inclined, but in practice they'd almost certainly elect Biden.

Which, to be honest is almost a more terrifying loophole, but not one the Trump Administration can take advantage of easily.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38441 on: August 01, 2020, 03:50:11 pm »

I doubt a environmentalist party nescessarily attracts more people with a 'don't disturb nature' stance.
take care of the environment =/= don't disturb nature
Well, it was the active Anti-Vax, not the 'hands off' that probably attracts more people. From my admitedly limited knowledge of the US conglomerate of opinions.

For what it's worth, the UK's Green Party looks to be fairly sane on Health issues. They fully support vaccinations (including the HPV being given also to boys), and though they support 'personal choice' on many of the things mentioned, they certainly don't seem to be enabling self-destructive decisions - indeed, they insist upon "properly informed choice".

Having refreshed myself with their literature, I remain undisappointed with their thinking. One of the more sensible parties, over here (still unlikely to get more than one MP for the foreseeable future[1]) and I don't at all regret the times I've voted that way.

But I find it hard to believe that there's any benefit in being a sane national political party in the US. It looks like it'd put you at a distinct disadvantage against all the others that quite clearly aren't.

[1] But that's FPTP... they have a whole lot in Local Government, including the London Assembly, had up to seven in the EU, until that got shut off, and even have two members in the House Of Lords!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38442 on: August 01, 2020, 03:54:07 pm »

Why do sane political parties get a disadvantage here? I don’t think I’m the only American who would like a sane political party. Wierd, you’d rather a sane political party instead of the ones we have now, right?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38443 on: August 01, 2020, 03:56:51 pm »

I'd rather there be sanity everywhere.

Emperical evidence suggests to me that it's just not very likely to happen that way in your particular jurisdiction.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38444 on: August 01, 2020, 04:09:53 pm »

I'd rather there be sanity everywhere.

Emperical evidence suggests to me that it's just not very likely to happen that way in your particular jurisdiction.
I’d rather there be sanity everywhere too
Pages: 1 ... 2561 2562 [2563] 2564 2565 ... 3513