Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2653 2654 [2655] 2656 2657 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3587742 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39810 on: September 30, 2020, 10:33:23 pm »

I think you are right that the perception of the TPP, in part as a stand-in for general offshoring and other economic ills, was and is still pretty relevant for a significant number of voters.

Edit: I should add that I think your other points have a lot of merit, but more as a framing of what people perceive things to be -- I strongly object to how factual a lot of them are, but these days that's often not terribly relevant.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:38:05 pm by Dostoevsky »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39811 on: October 01, 2020, 12:11:10 am »

I found it odd that Trump didn't explicitly condemn white nationalism when asked, considering Biden had just used the "fine people" falsehood, in which Trump had actually gone on to specifically condemn them:
I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally.

He could've put an end to that talking point once and for all with the whole nation was watching, but nope. Apparently the surest way to prevent Trump from doing something is to ask him to do it, even if he's done it in the past. I guess the Proud Boys can all be on standby now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IDK why I was under the impression that Trump could at least excel in debates. I guess putting all your points into bullshit leaves none for effective parrying. But, hey, at least we got to see Biden lose his cool and tell the President to shut up!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 12:17:55 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39812 on: October 01, 2020, 12:17:24 am »

I found it odd that Trump didn't explicitly condemn white nationalism when asked, considering Biden had just used the "fine people" falsehood, in which Trump had actually gone on to specifically condemn them:
He did though?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39813 on: October 01, 2020, 12:18:29 am »

I would have liked him to take that opportunity to disavow them.  I didn't expect him to do so, but I am often plagued by optimism.

I don't think he's a white nationalist, but it'd be nice to hear him say it.  But he knows his base and can't afford to lose voters, being so far behind already.

Fakedit: What?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39814 on: October 01, 2020, 12:26:50 am »

He did though?

Not in last night's debate. He said he was "prepared to", without actually doing so:
WALLACE: You have repeatedly criticized the vice president for not specifically calling out antifa and other left-wing extremist groups. But are you willing, tonight, to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to stand down and not add to the violence in a number of these cities as we saw in Kenosha and as we've seen in Portland? Are you prepared to specifically do that?

TRUMP: Sure, I'm willing to do that. But I would say almost everything I see is from the left wing, not from the right wing. If you look, I'm willing to do anything. I want to see peace.

WALLACE: Then do it, sir.

BIDEN: Do it. Say it.

TRUMP: You want to call them? What do you want to call them? Give me a name, give me a name, go ahead — who would you like me to condemn?

WALLACE: White supremacists. White supremacists and right-wing militia.

TRUMP: Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what: Somebody's got to do something about antifa and the left. Because this is not a right-wing problem — this is a left-wing problem.

He only tells the Proud "I-Don't-Know-Who-They-Are" Boys to stand back and not commit violence, which addresses only the second part of the debate question.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 12:48:16 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39815 on: October 01, 2020, 12:34:36 am »

I agree he could have disavowed them better, but when asked, "are you willing to condemn white supremacist groups", he did say "Sure, I'm willing to do that," "I'm willing to do anything, I want peace" and "Give me a name, who would you like me to condemn?" — which are all pretty clearly an answer in the affirmative. If you say "do you condemn X" and I say "sure", I have condemned X.

ETA, Bumber: listen again, Wallace says "prepared" but Trump says "willing", which I would argue is different in this case: prepared does imply that you aren't doing it yet, but willing doesn't, here. (That transcript is also wrong in a couple of additional places.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 12:42:14 am by Maximum Spin »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39816 on: October 01, 2020, 12:42:32 am »

Chris Wallace: (41:33)
You have repeatedly criticized the vice president for not specifically calling out Antifa and other left wing extremist groups. But are you willing tonight to condemn white supremacists and militia group and to say that they need to stand down and not add to the violence in a number of these cities as we saw in Kenosha and as we’ve seen in Portland.

President Donald J. Trump: (41:57)
Sure, I’m will to do that.

Chris Wallace: (41:59)
Are you prepared specifically to do it.

President Donald J. Trump: (42:00)
I would say almost everything I see is from the left wing not from the right wing.

Chris Wallace: (42:04)
But what are you saying?

President Donald J. Trump: (42:06)
I’m willing to do anything. I want to see peace.

Chris Wallace: (42:08)
Well, do it, sir.

Vice President Joe Biden: (42:09)
Say it, do it say it.

President Donald J. Trump: (42:10)
What do you want to call them? Give me a name, give me a name, go ahead who do you want me to condemn.

Chris Wallace: (42:14)
White supremacist and right-wing militia.

President Donald J. Trump: (42:18)
Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I’ll tell you what somebody’s got to do something about Antifa and the left because this is not a right wing problem this is a left wing.
"Stand back and stand by"
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39817 on: October 01, 2020, 12:45:41 am »

Incidentally, did you know that the leader of Proud Boys is a black hispanic?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39818 on: October 01, 2020, 12:46:45 am »

Do you remember the founder of the proud boys disavowing them?
She/they

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39819 on: October 01, 2020, 12:49:38 am »

He picked out a specific group founded for, known for, and by their own bylaws required to spill blood on the streets of America along with being the closest thing to organized incel terrorists that exists and having a foreign (Canadian) leader, and told them to "stand by".

Then he went on to talk about how the election is already illegitimate in his eyes and that his people should "go into the poling places and observe", which is illegal and inherently voter suppression unless you are a lawfully appointed poll watcher. That you will likely have large groups doing this on election day now, potentially armed, only worsens that fact.

The Proud Boys certainly don't have any ambiguity about this. They've been very conscious and open about what Trump told them to do, in the same way this breed of prick always does stochastic terrorism, carefully dancing around what any word in the whole goddamn dictionary actually means when talking to the normies while amping each other up quite directly to crack some lib skulls.

That is not fucking acceptable. It's frankly an impeachable offense all on its own. And worst of all, the archaic nature of US election laws makes it entirely possible to steal an election through these kinds of tactics and make recall of their effects nearly impossible.

And Gavin McInnes is sure as shit not a black hispanic, whatever else he is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39820 on: October 01, 2020, 12:52:29 am »

And Gavin McInnes is sure as shit not a black hispanic, whatever else he is.
Gavin McInnes is not the leader of Proud Boys, Enrique Tarrio is.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39821 on: October 01, 2020, 12:53:17 am »

I'm thinking he meant "stand by" as in "stand by and do nothing" rather than "be prepared". Only Trump can ever know for sure, though.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:00:24 am by Bumber »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39822 on: October 01, 2020, 01:00:06 am »

He's been declaring the upcoming elections to be falsified, suggesting people should "watch" the voting sites, and explicitly saying that the results are fake if he doesn't win.

Telling out-there groups to "stand by" is exactly what it sounds like.  People are going to die over this regardless of the posted results, it's only a question of how many deaths he's responsible for.

The difference between Trump and a Dictator is that some Roman Dictators released power.
She/they

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39823 on: October 01, 2020, 01:01:46 am »

He's been declaring the upcoming elections to be falsified, suggesting people should "watch" the voting sites, and explicitly saying that the results are fake if he doesn't win.

Telling out-there groups to "stand by" is exactly what it sounds like.  People are going to die over this regardless of the posted results, it's only a question of how many deaths he's responsible for.
Don't be ridiculous.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39824 on: October 01, 2020, 01:02:03 am »

His response is in the context of being asked about violence in Kenosha, not voting. There was a caravan of pro-Trump individuals with guns, IIRC.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:06:55 am by Bumber »

Pages: 1 ... 2653 2654 [2655] 2656 2657 ... 3514