Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2812 2813 [2814] 2815 2816 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3596127 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42195 on: November 20, 2020, 03:35:47 pm »

From an outsider’s persective, I can only imagine the election and its expected yet still unexpected outcome sent the people of the USA into some kind of shock. Combine that with the pandemic situation, and all kinds of strange moods are pretty understandable. Hang in there!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42196 on: November 20, 2020, 03:48:13 pm »

As a person who works in the orbit of the federal legislature, it's a pretty weird time. Senate votes have become more uncertain as you don't know who'll be out due to 'rona next, or for how long. End-of-year legislation is in a trickier position thanks to a combination & interaction of the timeline and a president who seems to have zero interest in signing the (rather important) end-of-year bills. Some of these bills, like the National Defense Authorization Act, haven't had a lapse in quite a while.

Layer on top of that the muddled transition situation, possible attempts to subvert democratic processes, and covid, and... things feel a bit on the knife's edge here. As if things are relatively normal but very close to being blown up in a major way.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42197 on: November 20, 2020, 05:21:22 pm »

Talking Heads - Life during wartime LIVE - Stop making sense 1984 HQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVHNwBbkSj4

Spoiler: Lyrics (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42198 on: November 20, 2020, 06:46:38 pm »

I read these and came up with my own melody, which is probably not the correct one but still, also burning in his chest might be hunger?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42199 on: November 20, 2020, 07:30:24 pm »

Yep, that's my impression too.

As described by one of the band members (citing from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_During_Wartime_(song) can follow back to the source from there...)
David wrote nine of the album's eleven tracks. Two numbers came out of jamming. The first would be called "Life During Wartime." David's lyrics describe a Walker Percy-ish post-apocalyptic landscape where a revolutionary hides out in a deserted cemetery, surviving on peanut butter. "I wrote this in my loft on Seventh and Avenue A," David later said, "I was thinking about Baader-Meinhof. Patty Hearst. Tompkins Square. This a song about living in Alphabet City."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42200 on: November 20, 2020, 10:36:47 pm »

https://ballotpedia.org/Sarah_Dunklin

Sarah Dunklin was a district-level delegate to the 2016 Republican National Convention from Arkansas. Dunklin was one of 16 delegates from Arkansas bound by state party rules to support Donald Trump at the convention.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon-incited-her-to-kidnap-her-son-and-then-hid-her-from-the-law

Dunklin does have political connections. She’s the county GOP chair in Desha County, Arkansas, and was appointed to a USDA committee by U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue. Dunklin’s father, farmer Bill Dunklin, narrowly lost a Republican state Senate primary in March.
Dunklin has claimed that her daughter is surveilled at all times by a U.S. Space Force ship with an invisibility cloak and said the day she received her Children’s Crusade position was one of her proudest.

EDIT: to paraphrase Arthur C. Clarke any sufficiently advanced mental illness is indistinguishable from right wing conspiracy theories. You have to feel sorry for this woman, she clearly needs help, but instead the political ecosystem she's in actually rewards the distorted thinking that she's suffering from. You start frothing about the deep state and Soros and instead of getting you help, they nod approvingly and give you a political appointment in the GOP somewhere. She only got pulled up at all because she was involved in a court case, and she was doing crazy shit in the court and the judge had to say WTF is even going on here. None of that stuff mattered in the politics stuff.

EDIT2: turns out the court ordered her to get a psych evaluation, which she passed. However, the doctor who administered the evaluation was also a QAnon, and connected with Dunklin's Children's Crusade. So, because of this shit she's still not getting medical help for her mental illness.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 11:49:13 pm by Reelya »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42201 on: November 20, 2020, 11:21:21 pm »

Don Jr. got Covid, by the way.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42202 on: November 20, 2020, 11:26:16 pm »

Don Jr. got Covid, by the way.
It is what it is.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42203 on: November 21, 2020, 05:31:43 am »

Rick Scott and Giuliani's demonspawn as well.

I think covid owes us a few freebies here, don't fail us this time you stupid fucking virus piece of shit.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42204 on: November 21, 2020, 12:40:30 pm »

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/sneaky-and-entirely-legal-way-donald-trump-could-stay-in-power/news-story/af6f2f252ddac6f7919e78febfe8ddd8

Trump's still at it, canvassing GOP-majority legislatures in states Biden won to override the votes and vote for Trump.

But I just had another thought. What if those specific legislatures just retroactively switch to issuing their EC votes proportionally citing how this is fundamentally more fair. If enough of those states did that they might have enough votes to push Trump over the line, but I'd have to check on that. Then they can just switch back to winner takes all next time a Republican is ahead and just say "what you gonna do about it?"

EDIT: attention on ex-GOP congressman Denver Riggleman. Great name btw. Sounds like someone from an old sci-fi or Ayn Rand novel.

This is a Republican who was an expert on conspiracy theories, he co-sponsored a bipartisan anti-QAnon bill, he was the only person in his party who had the balls to actually say anything about QAnon in the House. They did back the bill in votes, however they also got rid of Riggleman before the election. So they're scared of QAnon, don't necessarily back it, but they won't oppose it and will quietly get rid of vocal anti-QAnon Republicans. That's where this is actually at. So, consider this. While high level Republicans might not all be QAnons, they're too scared to speak out against it, and if you do speak out, they get rid of you. For some of the more QAnon candidates, other Republicans have condemned them as people, however, the reporting I've seen they noted that they avoided mentoning QAnon or attacking them for being QAnon, rather they focused on other stuff, since as anti-semitism/racism. This is pretty interesting stuff, the Republicans know they're sitting on a tinder-box, don't know what to do about it, and anyone who too loudly points out there's a problem must be gotten rid of. I guess if you come out against QAnon, that means you're one of the cannibal pedos and they've seen colleague's careers destroyed for doing that - even if they themselves jumped on the bandwagon to destroy said careers.

https://www.wired.com/story/republican-lawmaker-denounced-qanon-denver-riggleman/

Q: When did you first realize that other Republican elected officials were afraid to criticize this thing that struck you as so ridiculous?

Right after I came out against QAnon, I thought this was sort of a no-brainer, but boy did I underestimate the violent pushback that I would get, not only on social media but also vitriol even from people that were close to me. As soon as I identified QAnon as a threat, those who had completely subsumed themselves in this belief system looked at me as a threat. Because QAnon has evolved well beyond a simple conspiracy theory. It's almost religious; it's cultlike. And so, when you poke a cult, it's going to poke back pretty hard.

Sorry to bring this stuff up again, but this is not really about fringe beliefs anymore (if it's harmless kooky stuff I'll put that in the conspiracy thread), this is about the 2nd major party basically going to the dogs here. I can't even imagine what the Republicans would look like by 2024. I'm thinking back to the Obama Derangement stuff post 2008. That's going to happen again, but ... 100 times worse now, because the Republican party is entirely permeated by this stuff now, and they know it. When you consider this in terms of game theory, Nash equilibrium etc, the stable point isn't that they push back on conspiracies, because any individual candidate realizes that their career will be destroyed. It only works if all of them push back at the same time, but that's not how the game theory works out. So they'll do ineffective push-back against incoming conspiracy candidates which continues to avoid mention the conspiracy theories, which will just cement in the radical's mindset that they're "over the target" and the mainstream are all covering up for the evil globalist conspiracy.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:57:45 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42205 on: November 21, 2020, 02:23:23 pm »

Republican'ts would cut out their own assholes if it meant democrats would smell the leakage seeping from the now spincterless hole.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42206 on: November 21, 2020, 02:50:52 pm »

Republican'ts would cut out their own assholes if it meant democrats would smell the leakage seeping from the now spincterless hole.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42207 on: November 21, 2020, 07:10:16 pm »

Meanwhile another partisan appointment to a lifetime position (only a district court judge this time around) - 'not qualified' according to the bar association.  And this during the transition period.  Or better said because of the transition period.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/senate-republicans-confirm-unqualified-trump-judge_n_5fb5c948c5b6f00bd84d4827?ri18n

Guess that's what American's want, systematic ossification with extreme right partisan fanatics in control of the justice system?  Its definitely a plan, even if current circumstances show the gingerbread man to be relying on it too much.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42208 on: November 21, 2020, 09:10:48 pm »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42209 on: November 21, 2020, 09:13:03 pm »

Would you like to say something?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 2812 2813 [2814] 2815 2816 ... 3515