Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2816 2817 [2818] 2819 2820 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3582934 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42255 on: November 25, 2020, 12:15:54 pm »

The PET plastic in them is pretty painlessly recycled into fabric.

several aprons and other high durability wear are made that way.

https://tutaka.com/en/marketplace/workwear/fair-produced-aprons-pet/

It's basically just polyester.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42256 on: November 25, 2020, 12:38:28 pm »

With garbage it's usually not a case of being unable to do things with it so much as a case of not doing those things because they're awkward or expensive.

Old plastic bags had several problematic qualities, but like most of our garbage could have been repurposed into something else or at least properly contained. As is/was they often wound up loose or in landfill, which meant they were then blown around by the wind until they snagged on something and gradually tattered and tore into smaller scraps which then got eaten.

A similar but separate issue is the use of micro-plastics in cosmetics and skincare products. Tiny beads of plastic used in products to abrade old skin, which are then flushed down the drain and wind up in the ocean being eaten by fish and then working up through the ecosystem.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42257 on: November 25, 2020, 01:06:59 pm »

This means that you'd need to drive in it for about 112 thousand kilometers for it to break even when using 'grey' electrical power, or 50 thousand km using only 'green' electrical power.

Buddy my car has just over 289681 kilometers on it right now.

I ain't even close to being done with it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42258 on: November 25, 2020, 02:34:23 pm »

This means that you'd need to drive in it for about 112 thousand kilometers for it to break even when using 'grey' electrical power, or 50 thousand km using only 'green' electrical power.

Buddy my car has just over 289681 kilometers on it right now.

I ain't even close to being done with it.

But is it close to being done with you?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42259 on: November 25, 2020, 03:08:30 pm »

I have several "bags for life", now, mostly because I don't like taking Supermarket A's bag in to Supermarket B.

Most of them are just "thicker plastic bags", but my main shop (favoured outlet) it's a tough plastic-canvassy material[1]. Both of them, as I bought two of them on different "arrived unprepared, without a bag" visits, one of about 50% more volume which is useful, though is more awkward to carry around 'in anticipation'.

Meanwhile, I still have a number of prior 'single use' plastic bags from before the changeover era, which I will (as I always have) gradually use for other baggable tasks (e.g. not-yet-dried[2] freshly washed clothing I wish to transport in a bag) until they wear out enough to be delegated to one more final use holding other recylables...

So I've got a very low 'throughput' though I have many plastic bags.

But, familiar as I am with the BsFL, it dissappoints me that I see both the 'thicker plastic' bags and the faux-woven kind just sitting in hedgerows (either empty or containing whatever other rubbish it was that people wanted to fly-tip nto a hedgerow on that small scale). People have endured paying the mandated 5p, 50p or whatever for the bag and - while it was still usable[3] - added insult to their wasteful injury.

(Or, charitably, lost them. I had a Star Wars-branded bag for one store, which I had stuffed in my pocket when I set off to walk to there, once, but it had obviously jumped out at some point during the two mile walk there, and it was a windy day so, though I retraced my steps across fields and through woodlands with my new-bought BFL full of shopping, I did not spy its distinctive coloration.)

So it's swings and roundabouts. Though maybe the disposed-of BsFL aren't too much more resiliant than their earlier cousins, and even not anywhere as near as 'wind shreddable' and otherwise torn into strips as the old, lighter bags, nor quite so misidentifiable as jellyfish in the eyes of sea-turtles. (They might still, or additionally, shred microplastics, though.)

Also, apparently to ecological footprint of hemp bags-for-life, usually emblazened with an "I'm green!" message for fashionable bragging rights,  compared to plastic ones, is much, much worse. Though I can't find the definitive figure on this right this now, it's something like a hemp bag needs to be used hundreds of time to out-green a tough plastic bag used for dozens of jobs. (Though maybe they'd ultimately be better if 'lost' in a ditch.)

Which just goes to show that "it's complicated". And I'm no eco-angel myself, as I was happy enough to use the free thon bags until the charges came in (which I'm not confident was not just good business/PR for major shops to charge, rather than anything else).

[1] Close examination reveals no P.E.T. or similar mark printed on. It looks to be textured as if a strip-woven material. The careful flat-bottomed bag (that folds flat by triangular inversions, rather than a naturally flat bags with a set of 'expansion' folds that lesser bags use) is thread-stitched up the narrow sides, around the vulnerable edges and corners, around the infolded top edge and to attach the handle which is definitely more cloth-like (but probably polyesterish).

[2] I sometimes don't quite get my laundry fully done before I rush off somewhere, and there's always a radiator/chair back to drape things on, even if there's no iron. ;)

[3] I've never had a problem with the faux-woven bags (it looks like the first thing that'll go on one of them is the stitching, from the rough wear I've already inflicted., but I've got needle and thread, so I could always repair that...) but when the mere 'thicker plastic' ones gained holes (too many 2-litre bottles of pop?) that store would replace it at no cost (and do I-know-not-what with the one that had failed to outlive me).

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42260 on: November 25, 2020, 03:27:06 pm »

(Separate post, separate 'reply'.)

IIRC, the old car most recently replaced (bought second-hand, low mileage) that gave up the ghost earlier this year after some pipes involved in moving oil around corroded through (not economic to replace) had approx 220k miles on the clock at the end.  It was a diesel (at the time we got it, it was considered better than petrol/gasoline) and probably ended up worse environmentally than a newer car (per trip, but without the new car needing manufacturing atop the older one), so not sure how it all balanced out.

The new vehicle (also 2nd-hand, also low-mileage) bought to replace it is newer and back to petrol. Personally I'd like a serial-hybrid (self- plus plugin-chargable) at which point I'd get some PV cells (perhaps tiles?) specifically for the garage roof and the kit needed to specifically store/transfer that power to keep it topped up when 'docked' at home. But that'd need a new car, new equipment and panels (which are all messy to manufacture), with both financial and 'green' damage endured in the attempt to make a possibly low-carbon future usage.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42261 on: November 25, 2020, 04:29:32 pm »

Trump appears to have pardoned Flynn.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42262 on: November 25, 2020, 04:32:15 pm »

Flynn for president 2024.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42263 on: November 25, 2020, 04:45:51 pm »

I thought he'd already pardoned the traditional turkey?

("First the turkey, then you...")

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42264 on: November 25, 2020, 05:23:14 pm »

The question is now, does he have the power to pardon himself?
Probably not, I think a pardon can only come after a conviction, not pre-emptively, right?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42265 on: November 25, 2020, 05:43:34 pm »

Unfortunately, the limits of Presidential pardons are largely untested in US law. There are basically the following perspectives:

1. Presidential pardons can only be given to specific past crimes. While this is reasonable enough, it was definitely violated by Ford pardoning Nixon because Nixon had not been charged with any crime yet.

2. Presidential pardons can also be used for indefinite past crimes. This is what Ford gave to Nixon. Trump could use this to wipe out any past criminal liability to the US government, probably including before he was President.

3. As above, and Presidential pardons can also be used for indefinite future crimes. Nobody has ever tried to do this, but proponents of Unitary Executive Theory (i.e., the President can basically do whatever they want) have issued commentary that they consider it valid.

4. And finally, that the President can issue a self-pardon as well. Again, it's a Unitary Executive Theory thing.

The courts system rarely if ever has subjected itself to ruling on the limits of pardon powers, but one thing I can tell you for sure is that the GOP has been trying to stack the federal judiciary with as many Unitary Executive Theory people as possible since at least the Dubya years.

There's not really any limit related to a pardon before a conviction, though. Pretty much everyone agrees you can be pardoned of a specific past crime even if you haven't been convicted of that crime. Also, Trump can't pardon himself in any sense for the stuff New York is prosecuting him for, because Presidential pardons only apply to crimes against the federal government. The Governor of New York would have to pardon him for that, which is doubtful unless the CIA makes him or something.

The smarter thing for Trump to do would be to resign in "rage over the stolen election" so that Pence could pardon him - there's not really any legal controversy on that one. It just relies on Trump trusting Pence enough to do it, and Pence actually doing it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42266 on: November 25, 2020, 05:47:48 pm »

What is almost beyond question is that the President only has the power to pardon Federal crimes. Right now, this would be of very limited use for Trump, as he's already facing some pretty substantial State charges. This doesn't even consider that he's also under investigation for fraud in Scotland (related to golf course purchases), which is not a territory of the United States and thus quite a bit beyond the power of POTUS to annul. Plus his issues with that German bank that's talking about repossessing assets.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42267 on: November 25, 2020, 05:50:26 pm »

Plus his issues with that German bank that's talking about repossessing assets.

Man, that's going to be the best episode of Operation Repo ever.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42268 on: November 25, 2020, 05:53:29 pm »

Plus his issues with that German bank that's talking about repossessing assets.

Man, that's going to be the best episode of Operation Repo ever.

I imagine a repo man carrying off Ted Cruz.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42269 on: November 25, 2020, 06:01:17 pm »

3. As above, and Presidential pardons can also be used for indefinite future crimes. Nobody has ever tried to do this, but proponents of Unitary Executive Theory (i.e., the President can basically do whatever they want) have issued commentary that they consider it valid.

So technically Trump could pardon himself in advance for having every single last Artreides Democrat, Mexican and black person assasinated and becoming God-Emperor for life?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 2816 2817 [2818] 2819 2820 ... 3513