Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2817 2818 [2819] 2820 2821 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3600224 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42270 on: November 25, 2020, 06:07:46 pm »

3. As above, and Presidential pardons can also be used for indefinite future crimes. Nobody has ever tried to do this, but proponents of Unitary Executive Theory (i.e., the President can basically do whatever they want) have issued commentary that they consider it valid.

So technically Trump could pardon himself in advance for having every single last Artreides Democrat, Mexican and black person assasinated and becoming God-Emperor for life?
Only if he manages to use all those souls to reincarnate along his, which means he would have to kill himself afterwards. The irony is he would be reborn in Tijuana. (Sorry I hate politics but love warhammer).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 06:13:46 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42271 on: November 25, 2020, 06:08:50 pm »

I mean, no. Murder is still a crime at the state level. Also I don't think that "I can never be prosecuted for a federal crime again!" would fly in reality as well as in the fevered minds of galaxy brain lawyers who think Article II makes the US a monarchy as long as the President is a Republican.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42272 on: November 25, 2020, 06:11:33 pm »

I mean, no. Murder is still a crime at the state level.
That's why I said ' have assasinated'.  Leading a nation-wide assasination plot surely is federal level?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42273 on: November 25, 2020, 06:14:18 pm »

Under the Dual Sovereignty Doctrine, the states and the federal government can prosecute people for crimes completely independently of one another.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42274 on: November 25, 2020, 09:03:25 pm »

Also, apparently to ecological footprint of hemp bags-for-life, usually emblazened with an "I'm green!" message for fashionable bragging rights,  compared to plastic ones, is much, much worse. Though I can't find the definitive figure on this right this now, it's something like a hemp bag needs to be used hundreds of time to out-green a tough plastic bag used for dozens of jobs. (Though maybe they'd ultimately be better if 'lost' in a ditch.)

This https://www.sei.org/publications/ecological-footprint-water-analysis-cotton-hemp-polyester/ might be interesting reading (well actually the pdf report linked at bottom).  I'll not overanalyse it but quick take is that organic traditional hemp comes out on top, with polyester (->PET) middling to bad (with significant differences with regard to European and American processes, can you guess which one is worse  ;)).  The study is a decade and half old now.

But... and this is where the above results can be deceptive this is per weight of produced fibre, and I'll hazard a guess that hemp bags are substantially (but not hundreds of times?) heavier than thicker polyester large bags for life.

But2... there is also the rest of the life cycle, and hemp rotting in a ditch is far preferable (imo) to plastic gyres or food chain infestation.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42275 on: November 25, 2020, 09:13:59 pm »

and I'll hazard a guess that hemp bags are substantially (but not hundreds of times?) heavier than thicker polyester large bags for life.
Well, technically hundreds/dozens of times, in my vague numeric example. Which is slightly less than tens of times in Fermi-like approximation. Which I could believe.

Anyway, if I were forced to smoke exactly one type of bag, I probably would be best to avoid the plastic one... ;)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42276 on: November 25, 2020, 09:44:59 pm »

Aye, baggies of hemp are sooo much better for health than baggies of polyester.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42277 on: November 25, 2020, 09:49:44 pm »

With things like plastic bags/cloth I understand that it might mean more Co2 emissions, but that's not really the problem with plastic bags. It's their effect on things like wildlife and ground water.

Those issues are eliminated with hemp.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42278 on: November 25, 2020, 09:58:56 pm »

IIRC, part of the pushback against cloth bags is the washing of them, which also has an environmental impact.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42279 on: November 25, 2020, 10:06:36 pm »

I...... have never ever washed one of those. Was I meant to? Am I nasty? I guess if I spilled some crap in it or something I would.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42280 on: November 26, 2020, 02:21:10 am »

Has anyone ever washed a bag?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42281 on: November 26, 2020, 02:25:28 am »

IIRC, part of the pushback against cloth bags is the washing of them, which also has an environmental impact.

My wife is convinced that cling wrap is better for the environment than tupperware because you have to wash tupperware. I think people get over-emphasized on water conservation and forget the fact that almost all industrial processes use water as well.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42282 on: November 26, 2020, 02:40:00 am »

My wife is convinced that cling wrap is better for the environment than tupperware because you have to wash tupperware. I think people get over-emphasized on water conservation and forget the fact that almost all industrial processes use water as well.

She might be right. Consider that if you look at the water needed for washing tupperware vs the water needed to make the clingwrap you're missing the water also needed to make the tupperware. Assuming plastic per weight uses the same amount of water, then you should compare the water needed to produce 1 pound of clingwrap vs 1 pound of tupperware containers as being the same. Then, any water used to wash the tupperware each time you re-use the tupperware is on top of that. Assuming that makng that single piece of clingwrap uses more water than washing the tupperware, there would come a break-even point, but after many many uses. Maybe 50 bits of clingwrap uses the same water as that one tupperware container to manufacture, and each wash uses half the amount of water as making 1 bit of clingwrap. With those figures, you need to use the piece of tupperware 100 times to break even.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:53:13 am by Reelya »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #42283 on: November 26, 2020, 02:52:52 am »

Unitary Executive Theory
So literal proponents of tyranny. OK.
You know, I really shouldn’t be surprised by this kind of shamelessness any more, and at one level I’m not. But at another level I am.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42284 on: November 26, 2020, 05:20:11 am »

@Reelya
Generally, you'd be putting clingwrap over a container, though. You're still going to have to wash that container, so you might as well be throwing a tupperware lid in with it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 05:23:37 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 2817 2818 [2819] 2820 2821 ... 3515