Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2818 2819 [2820] 2821 2822 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593442 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42285 on: November 26, 2020, 06:32:19 am »

Has anyone ever washed a bag?
Yup, a lot of them. Almost all of them since positive cases of covid started appearing here. If soap and water arent at hand, we use eithe vinager or alcohol on one of those atom smash... no wait that is from df, atomizers I meant, and rain down fiery chemical death on any microbial life in there. This is for plastic bags.

Cloth bags get washed inmediately after buying vegetables (the only use we give them), or as soon there is water, soap and electricity in the household at the same time.

Why?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:34:04 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42286 on: November 26, 2020, 07:41:14 am »

Oh well, I guess that makes sense when settling in a pink area.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42287 on: November 26, 2020, 08:27:07 am »

What is a pink area?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42288 on: November 26, 2020, 08:37:25 am »

Indeed, what's a pink area?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42289 on: November 26, 2020, 08:40:04 am »

Wasn't that the colour of the fun regions in DF?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42290 on: November 26, 2020, 09:55:38 am »

Oh, so now I live in a terrifying biome?

Hahahahahaha you are darn right! I was thinking it was something covid realted.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 10:23:42 am by LordBaal »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42291 on: November 26, 2020, 01:07:35 pm »

@Reelya
Generally, you'd be putting clingwrap over a container, though. You're still going to have to wash that container, so you might as well be throwing a tupperware lid in with it.
I'm boggling at using a lidable container with no lid as a container such that you'd need to separately cover it with clingfilm...

(My mother did it with her various homemade jams and marmalades, in sets of much-reused jars, I know, but those original lids had long been rendered unusable, and glassmaking resource costs long rendered irrelevent by the recurring costs per refill. And you couldn't just put jam in a cellophane wrap like you might do with a leftover slice of pizza intended for the following day's lunch.) ((Or, as you just made me realise, for the following day's teatime. *removes slice from jacket pocket and pops in the microwave for a minute*))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42292 on: November 26, 2020, 01:40:15 pm »

In other news, Trump pardoned Flynn the other day for the crimes he pled guilty to. I didn't read into it, but speculation is that Flynn can no longer plead the fifth if questioned again
That's less speculation and more just how pardons/protections against self-incrimination work. Accepting a pardon is an explicit admission of guilt (one reason they occasionally get refused); once you've done that, you can't exactly claim you're protecting yourself from something you've already straight up admitted to. The fifth largely just stops being applicable at that point.

As for who's next, dunno. If most domestic terrorist sorts weren't in the clink for state charges, I'd expect some of them. I wouldn't bet against a pardon spree screwing someone over and implicating them on state charges, though. Bonus points if it's actually trump or his immediate family.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42293 on: November 26, 2020, 02:01:24 pm »

Do you think there could be a Ford/Nixon-ish pardon, mid-January?

(I don't. Pence's lamest-of-lame-ducks presidencies would ultimately be very ineffectual beyond inconveniencing the "Biden 46" T-shirt stockists, so wouldn't compare to a good couple of years at the helm, it would hardly be a good launch for the Trump 2024 campaign and I think Donald couldn't even personally trust that the deal were completed if started and would probably risk the known slings and arrows rather introducing the whim of the religious-right(eous) once the association of convenience was cut short. But it's been a strange presidency, and he has the knack of doing surprising things.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42294 on: November 26, 2020, 02:07:46 pm »

Fakedit:  Wrote this out before seeing Starver's question, heh!  Nah I don't think Pence would pardon Trump given the opportunity.  Trump's a scumbag, Pence is a puritan zealot.  Now there's some horsehoe theory - people willing to justify anything for The Cause working with pure egotists, both seeking power at any cost.

I'm still pretty sure Biden's going to pardon Trump a bit.  Fits with the whole bipartisan "let's just heal" tack.  I'm not even upset about it, particularly considering all the state-level charges he'll be tied up in for literally the rest of his life.

It's a pretty cynical thing to do for a literal traitor who did his absolute best to literally end American Democracy, but pragmatically he was never going to face proper justice (particularly after his administration packed the courts).  Neither are all the Republicans who are supporting his half-baked but 100% serious coup attempt (or the rats finally fleeing his sinking ship after 4 years helping him wreck our institutions).  They were never going to face justice in court.

Yesterday my dad was ruefully reflecting that Trump has exposed a lot of the fundamental injustice in American government.  I don't support accelerationism, but the veil really did shatter more than ever.  I wonder if even Biden's reassuring good-natured harmless persona is going to be enough to restore any sort of trust in America, here or abroad.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42295 on: November 26, 2020, 02:09:33 pm »

If Biden pardons Trump he's a failed President right out of the gate. There's no ambiguity about that. Prosecuting Trump is one of the only things that center and left Democrats somewhat agree on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42296 on: November 26, 2020, 06:24:54 pm »

If Biden pardons Trump he's a failed President right out of the gate. There's no ambiguity about that. Prosecuting Trump is one of the only things that center and left Democrats somewhat agree on.
The one exception I could see to that is a poison pill pardon that puts the shitgibbon directly on the hook for state level convictions. That'd be about the only situation where the words "pardon trump" isn't goddamn reprehensible.

It'd still be strictly worse than finally holding our presidents accountable for bloody anything, but better than the alternative pardoning scenarios.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42297 on: November 26, 2020, 06:27:03 pm »

It would be kind of hilarious to trick Trump into pleading guilty to the NY charges, but I'm pretty sure the laws won't intersect in that manner.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42298 on: November 26, 2020, 07:07:32 pm »

You dont have a political inhabilitation thingy? That is the judicial power deems someone unfit of any public position (elected ones at least) for a set ammount of years or for life.

In theory that is to ban people for runin to presidency, governorship and congress positions. Ideally it would be applied to people with proven crimes, specially related to public administration like corruption, bribing, racketing and such.

Of course this is abused here to ban (or threaten to ban) any potential rival when killing is not an option. But if in your country the judicial power is still separated from the executive and legislative then it could work.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:12:28 pm by LordBaal »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42299 on: November 26, 2020, 07:21:24 pm »

Some states have laws prohibiting convicted felons from running for office, but the federal government has none. The Supreme Court has at this point long-established that changing the qualifications for federal office would require altering the requirements listed in the Constitution, which are: An age limit (varies), has citizenship, and lives in an appropriate jurisdiction to run for the office. Federal judges don't even have that, instead only needing Congress' approval and arguably citizenship (which is why I occasionally argue that dead people could be appointed to SCOTUS).

The only other commentary in federal law is that religious tests are absolutely forbidden, not that this stopped Alabama from requiring people to swear a Christian oath to vote.

To be honest, the state felon laws could potentially get struck if challenged and put before a reasonable Supreme Court, it just doesn't come up much.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2818 2819 [2820] 2821 2822 ... 3515