Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2827 2828 [2829] 2830 2831 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595325 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42420 on: December 01, 2020, 09:37:09 am »

I think 1st world mean the US, 2nd meant the USSR and its satellite states, 3rd world meant everything else. Obviously these categories are outdated now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42421 on: December 01, 2020, 09:47:48 am »

It was a cold war thing, yeah. 1st world was US/Western europe and allies, 2nd world was communist bloc nations, 3rd world was everything else (i.e. basically everything too puny at the time to matter much, which is probably where the association with underdevelopment came from). It's mutated into basically meaning 1st world as heavily developed, 3rd world as mostly not, and 2nd world not being a term people really use much anymore.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42422 on: December 01, 2020, 10:37:38 am »

[snip] rankings created by some CIA infodump [/snip]

Makes me think of the literary uses of the 1st (I/we, egotist subject), 2nd (you, unspecified other) and 3rd (he/she/it/they, object) person points of view.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42423 on: December 01, 2020, 01:22:42 pm »

Fie, you New Worlders! Do not bring your confounding witchcraft to our fair shores on the Old World. Begone, heretics and heathens!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42424 on: December 01, 2020, 01:23:53 pm »

I still have hopes and its better than what we had (well still kinda have but its a done deal). But I'm still hoping biden appoints less those who have gone so willing to war who did in the past and more progressives. Not sure if he has appointed progressives, haven't looked at every single one as its a lot to go through, but the ones I have don't seem to be so, just a couple. Currently one of his recent ones neera tanden has said in the past and done things that are extremely anti-progressive and come to conflict with bernie and those of us who voted for him. But maybe she is progressive and just has come to conflict with bernie for some reason. But from what I see, its kinda just typical old fashion democrat appointees who aren't going to be so supportive of progressives sadly, and I hope those who were so willing to go to war before and interfering with other nations like syria and other places in the middle east don't become the dominant voices.

Like I said, still way better than before. But at least as far as he appointed, doesn't seem that great. But I still have hopes like I said. Though haven't even looked at even half his appointments, and a lot of it is those talked about on CNN or NYtimes, and then I look (some) of them up. So maybe I'm entirely wrong. It just seems though that maybe not so much.

At least he won, so its not all bad.

(edit:

To clarify. Still happy biden won. Even if he isnt very much for progressives or maybe he will be. I'll always secretly bitter its not bernie or warren :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:30:55 pm by The_Explorer »

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42425 on: December 01, 2020, 02:00:30 pm »

To be perfectly honest, I don't think anything is gonna change. Biden and Trump are both funded by billionares. They don't care about people, they care about donors.

The workers lose, the owning class wins. That's how it has been since the country's inception. It just so happens that the farther right-wing things become, the easier corporations can create monopolies and destroy the planet for nothing but the production of capital.
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42426 on: December 01, 2020, 02:08:21 pm »

To be perfectly honest, I don't think anything is gonna change. Biden and Trump are both funded by billionares. They don't care about people, they care about donors.

The workers lose, the owning class wins. That's how it has been since the country's inception. It just so happens that the farther right-wing things become, the easier corporations can create monopolies and destroy the planet for nothing but the production of capital.

Well, for one other nations will again respect the US. And won't have biden insulting people and their disabilities and spending 99% of his time as president on twitter.

So at least things will go back to normal. Just hoping for more modern stuff that other countries do for progressives, I just think even if biden does stuff for us, bernie and warren been way better as far as that goes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42427 on: December 01, 2020, 02:13:26 pm »

Nah, whenever you meat a 'murican there's about a 50% chance they voted Trump so it's best to play it safe and consider them a twat from the word go, have them earn their right to not be considered a gibbering idiot hellbent on bringing everyone down to their miserable level afterwards.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42428 on: December 01, 2020, 02:20:09 pm »

Well, for one other nations will again respect the US.

why?  in four years it could be the exact opposite again anyway.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42429 on: December 01, 2020, 02:25:00 pm »

Nah, whenever you meat a 'murican there's about a 50% chance they voted Trump so it's best to play it safe and consider them a twat from the word go, have them earn their right to not be considered a gibbering idiot hellbent on bringing everyone down to their miserable level afterwards.
Eh, less than 50%, for what it's worth. Huge chunk of the country don't or can't vote. Highest turnout in about a century this year and something around a third of eligible voters didn't vote, nevermind the ones that just flat can't. Probably be closer to like a quarter to a third odds, which, uh. I mean, fairness where it's due, is still pretty shit and you're probably better off hedging your bets.

Think this is first election in a good long while "didn't vote" would have actually lost the election if they were a candidate, though, which is a thing.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 02:26:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42430 on: December 01, 2020, 03:30:35 pm »

Well, it always used to be a thing that backpackers visiting Europe from NA might display a Maple Leaf flag prominently on their kit. Either because they were Canadian or that they'd prefer to be thought as much.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:53:22 pm by Starver »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42431 on: December 01, 2020, 03:35:14 pm »

Eh, less than 50%, for what it's worth. Huge chunk of the country don't or can't vote. Highest turnout in about a century this year and something around a third of eligible voters didn't vote, nevermind the ones that just flat can't. Probably be closer to like a quarter to a third odds, which, uh. I mean, fairness where it's due, is still pretty shit and you're probably better off hedging your bets.

Think this is first election in a good long while "didn't vote" would have actually lost the election if they were a candidate, though, which is a thing.
Sure, but we can extrapolate the known numbers (the ones that voted) to the rest of the population which we don't know and conclude it is roughly a virtual 50/50%, or like a ~49/51% o 48/52% or something. Someone else could calculate it better I guess.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42432 on: December 01, 2020, 03:58:28 pm »

Those who chose not to vote will not be easily split as "Trump voters who didn't actually vote" and "Biden voters who didn't vote", if very much either. The incapable-but-would non-voters would be trickier, maybe depends on if they feel aggrieved about someone having caused them to be inellegible (and ascribed that authority to one of the two headliners).

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42433 on: December 01, 2020, 04:27:06 pm »

Thing is, unless a study is made on them, the best shot we have is to work with the data we have. I'm not saying it from a political perspective but the math one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42434 on: December 01, 2020, 05:15:17 pm »

If you meet an American abroad, they're probably not going to be a republican voter based on. Wealthier democrat voters tend to own passports much more than poorer republican voters, which makes sense given how democrats tend to have more disposable income & available international travel links to exploit. So if you fear to meet Ameripubs, then you need only not visit America to escape this fate

*EDIT
Lmao looking at the stats, you're more likely to meet an LGBT American abroad than a Republican American abroad

States with higher percentages of passport holders are also more diverse. There is a considerable correlation between passports and the share of immigrants or foreign-born population (.63) and also gays and lesbians (.54). The more passport holders a state has, the more diverse its population tends to be.  And yes, these correlations hold when we control for income.

What about politics? How does passport holding line up against America's Red state-Blue state divide?  Pretty darn well, actually. There is a considerable positive correlation between passports and Obama voters (.59) and a significant negative one (-.61) for McCain voters.  It appears that more liberally-oriented states are more globally oriented as well, or at least their citizens like to travel abroad. Again, the correlations hold when we control for income, though they are a bit weaker than the others.
Pages: 1 ... 2827 2828 [2829] 2830 2831 ... 3515