Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2834 2835 [2836] 2837 2838 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533324 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42525 on: December 08, 2020, 03:57:10 pm »

wtf

Texas just sued a bunch of states and going straight to SCOTUS

SCOTUS "docketted" it so they will at least vote to see it

SCOTUS better not overthrow the election. But I just don't see it happening, but its a worry because of the trump fanatical constitionalist far right judges.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42526 on: December 08, 2020, 05:02:49 pm »

They (the S.Ct.) just slapped down the effort led by House Republican Mike Kelly without comment (or on-the-record dissent), so I'm not terribly worried.

Paxton, the Texas AG, is fairly well known for corruption and monetization of his office, so to speak, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was filing it for the Trump loyalist donation dollars.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42527 on: December 08, 2020, 05:03:59 pm »

Paxton is under investigation by the FBI for corruption, and presumably retaliating against the seven senior lawyers who reported him.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42528 on: December 08, 2020, 07:13:16 pm »

It is entirely plausible that SCOTUS will hear the cases just to strike them down, given the nearly unmitigated string of defeats Trump's been served in court. He seems to have pissed off the entirety of the legal system.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42529 on: December 08, 2020, 07:17:53 pm »

I have half a desire to see that. (The other half is worried that creative reading from his appointees will result in something that needs much unentangling.)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #42530 on: December 08, 2020, 07:24:23 pm »

The meltdown that the orange blob would have at being 'betrayed' by the SCOTUS members he 'so graciously nominated' would be glorious.

Also is it just me or do the complaints about the rise in mail-in voting seem to always boil down to "It enabled more poor people and minorities to vote"? Like, "they sent people ballot papers they didn't want" wut? The system in the US is setup to stop multiple votes going through (log your name and address when you go to vote in person, check the name and address when you get mail-in to ensure they aren't on that in-person list, sorted) so the only complaint there is literally 'we were too democratic this time'.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:27:13 pm by MorleyDev »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42531 on: December 08, 2020, 07:40:10 pm »

'we were too democratic this time'.

We probably wouldn't have retained the electoral college this long if actually running a functional democracy was as high a priority as politicians claim.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42532 on: December 08, 2020, 08:01:21 pm »

Would striking this stuff down set a precedent?
If so, they will surely refuse to hear it, so this strategy can be used in the future.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42533 on: December 08, 2020, 08:05:20 pm »

They've already given him a 9-0 FUCK YOU in the Pennsylvania case, and the Texas case is far weaker.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42534 on: December 08, 2020, 08:15:24 pm »

It would be hilarious if not only does the supreme court strike it down, it would be glorious if in their comments they note that the Texas AG is clearly being coerced into filing the suit by the Trump administration and that trump going through non official channels to force the case before the supreme court when the lower courts have all ruled against him violates states rights and itself qualifies as election fraud in those states.

Never gunna happen I know, but it would be hilarious to see a news article listing off half the states in the country filing individual lawsuits against Donald Trump.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42535 on: December 08, 2020, 09:11:18 pm »

The supreme court judges are pretty far right wing under a normal schema with all that is implied since that's what the right wing has been selecting them for.
As they have *not* been selecting them as "Insane right wing Q cultists" since that hasn't been a thing until like this past year, they aren't.

Since the judges are all highly educated people, they are unlikely to believe in any of the nonsense trump is spewing, and unlike the politicians they don't have to worry about being primaries, so they can just do what they believe in.
Of course, what they believe in seems to be mostly helping rich people get richer and helping the republican party to the best of their legal ability, but it is a bit reassuring to see that they actually believe in democracy and rule of law to *some* minor degree.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42536 on: December 08, 2020, 09:47:33 pm »

...if the police is abolished then how will you guys enforce laws? Even in a rehabilitative system someone needs to arrest criminals. Just wondering.

The police are used overwhelmingly to oppress poor marginalized communities, when was the last time you saw white collar criminals being tackled to the ground and beaten half to death or gunned down in the street while unarmed. White collar crime is usually much more destructive to other peoples' lives than someone who is using illegal drugs, but other than a few highly publicized outliers they let those people off with a slap on the wrist or a fine while they fill up prisons with poor black and brown drug offenders.
You never actually answered Max's question... I don't feel like having vigilantes enforce laws is a good idea.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42537 on: December 08, 2020, 09:59:00 pm »

I would've expected SCOTUS to at least take it up, even if they couldn't give the plaintiff what was asked in the lawsuit. Act 77 was in contradiction with the wording of PA's state constitution, and the PA legislature hadn't done an amendment. SCOTUS could've ruled that PA needs to amend their state constitution going forward if they want to keep the extended voting period. Trump's judges are allegedly constitutionalists.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #42538 on: December 08, 2020, 10:30:27 pm »

and unlike the politicians they don't have to worry about being primaries, so they can just do what they believe in.

Changing the rules and stacking the Supreme Court has been thrown on the table recently, so it's not like they can just declare whatever controversial stance they want completely without consequence.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42539 on: December 08, 2020, 11:05:29 pm »

...as in D9nald/Mitch conspiring to speed-stack the SC before Joe even gets into the driving seat?

(Classic "it's what they/we would do, so therefore we/they cannot not be doing it" psychology, as exhibited. Just like "Well, we tried to (or did?) cheat bigly and it looks like we lost, so obviously they're even bigger cheats...")
Pages: 1 ... 2834 2835 [2836] 2837 2838 ... 3511