Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2836 2837 [2838] 2839 2840 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3590724 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42555 on: December 10, 2020, 07:03:11 am »

The FBI are police, dude.

Basically it seems that your answer to question is "the police".
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42556 on: December 10, 2020, 07:13:30 am »

That depends - do you consider feudal-era manhunters to be "police"?

When it comes to police and prison abolition, I find that objections tend to start with "you can't possibly do this", turn into "that's just police with extra steps", and then finally into "that's way too extreme of a change". Which is a contradiction - if radically altering every level of law enforcement/prisons makes them no longer be the thing that they are now, then you've abolished the old thing.

So pick your poison, I guess. If you want to still call radically altered law enforcement and punishment as police and prisons, it doesn't really affect the essence of the position.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42557 on: December 10, 2020, 07:50:51 am »

There's definitely some stuff we could stand to do first, for what it's worth. Kill qualified immunity dead, disarm cops more or less in their entirety, probably just fuck civil forfeiture completely, stuff like that. And if we can't get basic shit like that through, then yeah, maybe it's time the institution just stops existing.

The idea of direct reimbursement for wrongdoing's been bouncing around my head lately -- basically when cops fuck up or do something excessive, the specific cops involved pay (significant) reparations to the victims (or next of kin, or whatever). Make their district and any supervisors price match it, make it follow everyone involved even if they quit, make it unable to be bankrupted away. It's small consolation for someone robbed or brutalized or killed, but it's the kind of consolation that can get organizations and whatnot to sit up and stop fucking up, too.  We do something similar for other professions, after all.

Civil forfeiture was the thing I was thinking about as a particularly appropriate issue for it. Tighten up investigation of incidents, and if it turns out to have been done wrongly (as at least fucking half of them are, probably significantly more), then the cops involved return whatever the amount illegitimately stolen was and pay back double the same amount -- their boss price matches, the district price matches, and it's all direct garnishment or something effectively similar. No escape, no quitting to dump the reparations, no bankrupting it away. If you're going to have the privilege of that kind of extrajudicial horseshit, it's going to come with some goddamn responsibilities, yeah?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #42558 on: December 10, 2020, 08:00:21 am »

It's usually easier to frame it as 'reform' than 'abolishment'.

It seems like the reforms desired as making 'the police' more focused on preventative measures and community engagement than as punitive force. Hard to gun down kids you broke bread with.

Amongst UK police officers there was a phrase, 'fireman policing', used to describe the idea that a lack of funding and manpower would mean police officers would be basically only sent out to deal with problems instead of patrolling and acting as members of the community they police.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42560 on: December 10, 2020, 09:11:23 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:08:14 pm by dragdeler »
let

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42561 on: December 10, 2020, 10:17:22 am »

For most of human history, there were no large-scale settlements and thus no need to organize law enforcement. Having vigilantes enforce laws would just lead to the same problems as now-- selective enforcement based on the "enforcer"s' personal beliefs. Feudal manhunters were indeed a (primitive form of) police.

Now I don't oppose radical reforms to move further towards rehabilitative justice. But unless you're going to revert to having absolutely no organized law enforcement... Don't call it "abolishment".
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42563 on: December 10, 2020, 03:17:26 pm »

I read a book (America's Original Sin) that has some interesting points about about how one of the problems with modern police culture is that somewhere in history, and especially American history, the modus operandi of police changed from guardians to warriors.

We could go a long way to improving law enforcement by moving back to a guardian sensibility rather than a warrior sensibility. You can even keep them armed - having armed guardians is notably different than armed warriors.  It's all about the mindset and approach.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42564 on: December 10, 2020, 03:47:29 pm »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42565 on: December 10, 2020, 06:24:59 pm »

I read a book (America's Original Sin) that has some interesting points about about how one of the problems with modern police culture is that somewhere in history, and especially American history, the modus operandi of police changed from guardians to warriors.

We could go a long way to improving law enforcement by moving back to a guardian sensibility rather than a warrior sensibility. You can even keep them armed - having armed guardians is notably different than armed warriors.  It's all about the mindset and approach.
I mean, stateside the whole shit and caboodle originated with goddamn slave hunters. There's no "guardian" to go back to, the institution's roots are possibly even worse than its present, or at least terrible in different ways.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42566 on: December 10, 2020, 06:44:26 pm »

I recommend the podcast "Beyond Prisons." It's definitely not a listicle, but I feel like it does a good job of explaining to you what prison is and how it functions, which definitely helps clarify how things could be better. I haven't heard that many of their episodes but just a couple were enough to start changing my impressions.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #42567 on: December 10, 2020, 06:46:16 pm »

All sorts have now joined in on the Texas lawsuit
Texas is now joined by Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia.
Vs.
Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin Who were joined by California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Virgin Islands, Washington and Washington D.C.

Ohio is doing a neutrality thing where they say they want the court to hear the case but have not formally taken a side
You also have the situation where state representatives are from the states being sued joining in support of Texas-like Pennsylvania’s republican reps for example
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42568 on: December 10, 2020, 07:10:02 pm »

When was the last time half the country sued the other half? Has it happened before?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42569 on: December 10, 2020, 07:18:51 pm »

Right before the civil war iirc
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 2836 2837 [2838] 2839 2840 ... 3514