Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2837 2838 [2839] 2840 2841 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3582294 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #42570 on: December 10, 2020, 07:20:59 pm »

Right before the civil war iirc

And then the civil war happened iirc
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42571 on: December 10, 2020, 07:21:26 pm »

Oh boy, I hope there’s not a Civil War II

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42572 on: December 10, 2020, 07:29:53 pm »

I read a book (America's Original Sin) that has some interesting points about about how one of the problems with modern police culture is that somewhere in history, and especially American history, the modus operandi of police changed from guardians to warriors.

We could go a long way to improving law enforcement by moving back to a guardian sensibility rather than a warrior sensibility. You can even keep them armed - having armed guardians is notably different than armed warriors.  It's all about the mindset and approach.
I mean, stateside the whole shit and caboodle originated with goddamn slave hunters. There's no "guardian" to go back to, the institution's roots are possibly even worse than its present, or at least terrible in different ways.

Slave patrols started in the 1840s. Most police departments on the East Coast (read - everywhere that was US before the 1840s) can be traced back to before that. New York had constables back when it was New Amsterdam.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42573 on: December 10, 2020, 07:53:55 pm »

2021: Shellshocked starved refugees from civil war-torn USA are washing up on the shores of Africa after Mexico has finished building a wall to keep them out.  EU makes a deal with Erdogan to keep them in detention camps awaiting asylum procedures.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42574 on: December 10, 2020, 08:33:41 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:08:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42575 on: December 10, 2020, 10:36:59 pm »

People also forget that prior to the traitors trying to secede it hadn't been tested and there were no provisions to stop it.

There are now.

There's also the problem that it isn't a "red states vs blue states" problem, it's a bunch of blue cities with loose spatterings of morons around them but america is so fucking big there is enough room for a massive number of morons and the people using those morons for their purposes make sure to gerrymander shit where possible and rile the stupid fuckers up into a hateful bigoted broth of dumbfuckery.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42576 on: December 11, 2020, 02:41:25 am »

Can somebody explain me why and how the fuck can a state sue another state? And what is supposed to happen if they win? Monetary retrubution? They keep the children of their failling marriage? If they loose can they be sued back?

It seems either way to mean awful lots of money on legal fees alone and the perfect cluster fuck of good old hate among otherwise identical people.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42577 on: December 11, 2020, 02:45:05 am »

States can sue other states on the basis that they've violated each other's rights under the federal Constitution. It doesn't happen often. They can ask for whatever restitution they want, not that they're likely to get it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42578 on: December 11, 2020, 04:20:25 am »

Conceptually, it would be akin to having say, France sue Italy, even though both are in the EU.

Say for instance, Italy selling bubbly wine and calling it Champaign.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42579 on: December 11, 2020, 06:05:03 am »

If there's a court for it, then you can sue for it. More so in America than in the EU since American tort law is a bit more fucked up.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42580 on: December 11, 2020, 07:04:13 am »

Ok, it just really weird, among countries ok, it would seen more normal, and a far more civil way to settle petty stuff despite lawyèrs most likely being the only ones winning at the end.

Nevertheless, hope it does not escalate from there, as unlikely as it seems.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42581 on: December 11, 2020, 12:24:12 pm »

Conceptually, it would be akin to having say, France sue Italy, even though both are in the EU.

Say for instance, Italy selling bubbly wine and calling it Champaign.
Well, that's already covered. Not the country of Italy, itself, but the producer/vendor falsely claiming a 'champagne' outwith the area of Champagne. And then usually challenged by the local equivalent of Trading Standards (or Customs, if imported) in any country that cares to enforce the PDO/PGI/whatever. (And given that Italy has its own Protected origin stuff, it's unlikely not to clamp down on its own bogus producers if it finds out first.)

The ECJ is probably the 'SCOTEU' we'd be talking about in equivalent state-vs-state legal battles (though it's usually individiduals or effective-individuals sueing for a overturning of a (different) state's actions or inactions they claim as 'unconstitutional' or similar). Despite what many say, inter-EU disagreements at state level tend to be done as normal national diplomatic business between the sovereign states, not  utterly controlled by the apparently all-consuming 'bEUrocracy' of shape-shifting lizards.

The closest equivalent I can think of, off the top of my head, is the EU parliament officially decrying (ineffectially?) the recent Polish internal election process/outcome, but that falls short in several important ways.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42582 on: December 11, 2020, 04:51:38 pm »

Regarding one state suing another, if I recall this has mostly come up in the realm of water rights between two states (e.g. a river running through two states). Might have been a fight over border boundaries a few times, too.

(Interstate pollution could/would be covered here as well, but environmental statutes have generally preempted that and provide alternative means of resolution.)

The idea being that this original jurisdiction for such disputes would reduce the risk of punitive shenanigans in the halls of congress or other existing federal institutions where states have to regularly interact.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42583 on: December 11, 2020, 06:33:25 pm »

I propose each state has its own standing army so the elector counts governors can duke it out to solve their issues.
If anyone tries to be too clever in any way the president comes down in a griffon and uses the offending governor as feed for the griffon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42584 on: December 11, 2020, 06:39:24 pm »

I would like to represent the state with all the Hellstorm Rocket Batteries that go BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRR. That would be, I believe, Ohio?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2837 2838 [2839] 2840 2841 ... 3513