Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2889 2890 [2891] 2892 2893 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3600012 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43350 on: January 16, 2021, 01:11:00 am »

Wikipedia's pork barrel page, includes the source of the phrase.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #43351 on: January 16, 2021, 01:53:27 am »

I saw on the news the MyPillow guy was at the White House holding documents containing very concerning phrases. While I don't know the context behind his holding them and I am surprised by it as I didn't picture him as a proponet of those things and would hope the goal was to dissuade from their implementation, I would hope there is an attempt to keep those things from happening because Pence and Mcconnell have both failed to remove the power to do such things, should the ability still remain to Trump, which I dunno, I'm not an expert.

EDIT: Here's the story.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/us/politics/mike-lindell-notes-west-wing.html

I probably overreacted but the Insurrection Act reference and martial law scared me because that would be a disaster

Here is an analysis that is likely a bit dated about an amendment from 2006. It describes various theorys of executive power and an explanation on the theoretical hows and whys of the Insurrection Act. Sorry about the jumbletext, it's from a pdf and has lots of citations.

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/library/resources/disasters/Crockett.pdf
Spoiler: Pg.53 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pg.55 (click to show/hide)

EDIT2:
Holy Cow, so this is why it essentially had "Blame China/Iran" scribbled on the document:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act_of_1807
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_comitatus

Seems like more of a way to screw everything up rather than win. The initial article says they didn't take it seriously, so that's good.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:39:48 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43352 on: January 16, 2021, 06:17:11 am »

the NRA has filed for bankrupcy, and wants to move to Texas to escape their debts.
They say they ' want to escape the corrupt political environment with rules that is New York'

In August, New York public prosecutor Letitia James filed charges against the NRA, for the leaders of the group supposedly used the organisation's funds illegaly for own personal use, and to bribe and threaten former employees into loyalty and silence.
About 64 million dollars where used to fund private holidays, flights and dinners.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:21:15 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43353 on: January 16, 2021, 06:32:08 am »

the NRA has filed for bankrupcy, and wants to move to Texas to escape their debts.
They say they ' want to escape the corrupt political environment with rules that is New York'

In August, New York public prosecutor Letitia James filed charges against the NRA, for the leaders of the group supposedly used the organisation's funds illegaly for own personal use, and to bribe and threaten former employees into loyalty and silence.
About 64 million dollars where used to fund private holidays, flights and dinners.

The freer the market, the freer the people. Lol.
This is a blank sig.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43354 on: January 16, 2021, 06:41:35 am »

Is the NRA a goverment body? A private company? A NGO? Civil society?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43355 on: January 16, 2021, 06:47:08 am »

Private company, more or less. Don't remember if they actually maintained non-profit status or not. Practically they're a huge grifting organization ripping off a shitton of people and then apparently burning the money on varyingly literal hookers and blow.

They're probably in for a fun (well, for the rest of us) time, though. While filing for bankruptcy the dumbshits in charge of the thing have also been tweeting out they're financially fine and them being bankrupt is nonsense. Let's see how well that goes for them :V
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:53:30 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43356 on: January 16, 2021, 06:51:33 am »

They are this.

It is funny to imagine Texas making the NRA an organ of the state government though. You really will get a free gun with every big gulp.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43357 on: January 16, 2021, 06:54:59 am »

Please, this is the NRA we're talking about. The gun wouldn't be free, let's not kid ourselves. You'd probably be required to buy one, though :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43358 on: January 16, 2021, 08:52:20 am »

They are this.

It is funny to imagine Texas making the NRA an organ of the state government though. You really will get a free gun with every big gulp.
I see, but why are under investigation? I mean, they are not blowing public funds. Maybe some members complained and filed suits?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43359 on: January 16, 2021, 09:04:07 am »

As is always appropriate when the NRA is asked about I feel I must add that while they certainly act (and are given media space) like they represent all and every gun owners in the USA they actually represent less than 10% of them.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43360 on: January 16, 2021, 09:11:36 am »

They are this.

I see, but why are under investigation? I mean, they are not blowing public funds. Maybe some members complained and filed suits?

The NRA is registered as a not-for-profit organization, because that is appropriate for their original purpose of setting standards for firing ranges, safety classes , and isntructor certifications. It is also appropriate for the lobbying agency they've grown into. Not for profit organizations enjoy special tax statuse and some other benefits.

However, this comes with heavy restrictions on how money can be spent. Most critically, you can't funnel money to top people beyond a salary even in cases that would be legal in a for-profit corporation.

It is also possible that what the NRA leadership os doing crosses the line into outright embezzlement.

scriver is also correct. The gun community is increasingly rejecting the NRA because it is too selective in who's gun rights get protected, and because their performative crap is more likely to srive gun control than oppose it
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43361 on: January 16, 2021, 09:22:49 am »

Oh I seen. But how come an non gummit org get to set standards for things like that? Is not that some government branch responsibility?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43362 on: January 16, 2021, 09:29:55 am »

Oh I seen. But how come an non gummit org get to set standards for things like that? Is not that some government branch responsibility?

I agree that it should be
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #43363 on: January 16, 2021, 09:41:10 am »

Then I read about how Mitch already agrred to the bill before it was shot down.

See this is the problem of modern media. I'm not sure who the fuck to trust because there are 100500 contradictory points of view being spouted everywhere. Politics is confusing man.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43364 on: January 16, 2021, 10:14:55 am »

I'm big gun guy but fuck the NRA.  They were originally a 2A organization with emphasis on providing education, resources, etc. and they still present themselves like that on their site but they're almost entirely a lobbying agency now.  They do provide money for legal representation of people in self defense and 2A-related cases, but they're selective (read: racist) about who they help with that money.  Much better orgs to give your money to if you like guns.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 2889 2890 [2891] 2892 2893 ... 3515