Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2892 2893 [2894] 2895 2896 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595447 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43395 on: January 19, 2021, 06:17:06 am »

Yeah, that thing you do is not football. Its handoval.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43396 on: January 19, 2021, 06:20:20 am »

Yeah, that thing you do is not football. Its handoval.
handegg is my favourite

Navalny echoes what we've been discussing the last few weeks; anti-Trump crusading should not come at the expense of empowering corporate factions to become political kingmakers. I like how the libs of Germany, France, UK and Russia are all able to come to the same conclusion with the benefit of distance. When you are not caught up in partisanship it is easy to see how allowing corporations to act like government is commiting national suicide

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43397 on: January 19, 2021, 06:25:14 am »

It's rather boy who cried wolf for them to complain about the Reign of Ban when it happens to affect one of the ruling class. Activists and open source advocates have been treated this way for decades, so we can at least treat shithead politicians the same.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43398 on: January 19, 2021, 06:37:43 am »

It's rather boy who cried wolf for them to complain about the Reign of Ban when it happens to affect one of the ruling class. Activists and open source advocates have been treated this way for decades, so we can at least treat shithead politicians the same.
Merkel, Johnson and Macron fair enough but Navalny falls firmly in the "oh fuck don't novichok me again bro" category

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43399 on: January 19, 2021, 08:17:34 am »

Thanks to a hacker, all the content or Parler before and during the raid on the Capitol has been copied and made available on the Internet archive, including all the messages that have been deleted.  The data includes not only conversations, pictures and videos, but also the metadata from those, like GPS location of the senders, and photo and video timestamps. A few dozen terabytes of data is available on the internet archive. The hacker, @donk_enby, does say that only public data has been copied, no personal information of users.
The FBI is pleased.

Meanwhile, while Parler has been taken offline by Amazon, it is now being transferred to a Russian hosting company. Parler CEO John Matze promises in a video that Parler will be back online before the end of the month.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43400 on: January 19, 2021, 08:26:57 am »

The FBI and the army are trying really hard to prevent the National Guard from being a threat to the inauguration.

They fear right-extremists will enter Washington dressed up like National Guards.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43401 on: January 19, 2021, 10:00:20 am »

The FBI and the army are trying really hard to prevent the National Guard from being a threat to the inauguration.

They fear right-extremists will enter Washington dressed up like National Guards.
Or be an actual NG member

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43402 on: January 19, 2021, 10:05:23 am »

I think you guys should undeploy the army, feds, and National Guard and just pay France to send the Legion d'Etrangers to guard your inauguration.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43403 on: January 19, 2021, 10:09:29 am »

I think you guys should undeploy the army, feds, and National Guard and just pay France to send the Legion d'Etrangers to guard your inauguration.
Send the British Army. Half way through the inauguration ceremony the rains of Castamere starts playing

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43404 on: January 19, 2021, 10:11:47 am »

When you are not caught up in partisanship it is easy to see how allowing corporations to act like government is commiting national suicide
And in the US, they had a President trying to act like a CEO?

(A failing, flailing, self-publicity-hailing CEO. But part of the problem was that if he had been a competent businessman who - yes, with luck, but not mainly by it[1] - actually knew the Science Of The Deal, and was more than a one-trick circus pony[2], then he probably wouldn't have tried to be CEO of U.S.Plc., no matter if it could have actually made him a good one..)

I have no love (nor login) for Facebook, et al, but much of the complaints that they are acting like evil governments are no more (and often less) than them just acting like they're evil cooporations. And we're nowhere near Snowcrash territory...

[1] Until someone gets to be a bona fide Teela Brown

[2] Dressed as a ringmaster...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:13:38 am by Starver »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #43405 on: January 19, 2021, 10:12:21 am »

Send the British Army. Half way through the inauguration ceremony the rains of Castamere starts playing

The Queen slowly rises behind Biden as he takes the oath, unhinges her jaw, and swallows him whole.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43406 on: January 19, 2021, 10:17:33 am »

When you are not caught up in partisanship it is easy to see how allowing corporations to act like government is commiting national suicide
And in the US, they had a President trying to act like a CEO?
There's some beautiful yin-yang dualism in the many ways to commit civic not living

I have no love (nor login) for Facebook, et al, but much of the complaints that they are acting like evil governments are no more (and often less) than them just acting like they're evil cooporations. And we're nowhere near Snowcrash territory...

Starver is this all a secret ploy to get me to agree with the European Union?

Thierry Breton, one of key EU commissioners behind these reforms, wrote in an op-ed in POLITICO that “the fact that a CEO can pull the plug on POTUS’s loudspeaker without any checks and balances is perplexing. It is not only confirmation of the power of these platforms, but it also displays deep weaknesses in the way our society is organized in the digital space.”
wtf I love merkel now

The Queen slowly rises behind Biden as he takes the oath, unhinges her jaw, and swallows him whole.
The Queen becomes President of the USA by right of conquest

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #43407 on: January 19, 2021, 10:29:05 am »

I mean, DT had the ability to hold a press conference anytime he liked so acting like they silenced him is just disingenuous. Honestly a little shocked he didn't start tweeting through the National Emergency System to get his social media fix though, and wouldn't be shocked if it turns out he tried but an adult in the room stopped him xD

Also, it really looks like this only becomes treated as an issue when white people are the ones being banned. Why is it regarded as acceptable to ban an Arabic Religious Preacher who encourages extremist action, but not an White American Politician doing the same?

The Queen becomes President of the USA by right of conquest

Unzips her back and reveals it was Jezza all along.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:35:35 am by MorleyDev »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43408 on: January 19, 2021, 10:40:59 am »

Someone please read the articles before I go Gnarles Barkley here; neither they nor I am saying jack about whether or not to censor speech. The complaint remains that why the hell are the Americans so sleepy about a series of corporations acting unilaterally to restrict speech on political grounds; Alexei Navalny points out the madness that death threats on Twitter for example are going completely without sanction as long as the account holder is on the right political alignment. Merkel points out it is not for a CEO accountable to no one to decide what is politically acceptable or not. And the argument that "Why don't you just make your own platform lmao" doesn't bloody work when;
a. you have to create the infrastructure from the ground level up again.
b. parler is an excellent example of how if you successfully create an alternative platform you can get shut down without a single state actor being involved.

Abrogating the responsibility for the government to regulate things as fundamental as the constitutional boundaries of freedom of expression in favour of private interests is just insanity. There will be no love lost between Trump and any leader in the EU, the thing the Eurocrats are pointing out is that this dichotomy between "would you rather suck off Trump or Zucc" is political sudoku

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #43409 on: January 19, 2021, 10:48:49 am »

Public Speech is always censored on political grounds, from news stations having being in mutual agreement not to give the time of day to certain factions (Neo-Nazis don't get to speak), to lots of it in day to day society getting supressed on 'you say that shit around me I break your jaw', getting kicked out of the pub for going on a racist tirade, or just general 'disturbing the peace so stfu or gtfo'. I'm unclear on why you need to or how you can draw a line between regulating that on social media and in the day-to-day without an appeal to scale that I don't think is valid. And all speech on Twitter is public speech.

Public discourse has always had non-state gatekeepers, I don't see what's happening with Twitter as more than a continuation of that process.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:57:39 am by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 ... 2892 2893 [2894] 2895 2896 ... 3515