Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2894 2895 [2896] 2897 2898 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3591047 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43425 on: January 19, 2021, 12:12:09 pm »

24 hours until the end. You have but a limited time to look up all the QAnon people predicting the storm and to prepare to laugh at them.

Also be grateful Trump hasn't decided to nuke anyone (yet) in this past few months after losing.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #43426 on: January 19, 2021, 12:12:40 pm »

Really an issue is Social Media being used for Official Statements (tm). Like, my random ramblings or tweets about my cat are not equivalent to an elected official declaring martial law, but if they're using Twitter as their place to do that then both of them are the same. So you either have to mandate all businesses treat all people as special precious babies whose opinions matter deeply and must be shared at all costs and the mean businesses have no right to kick them off their lawn for rambling about the black people stealing their hair boo hoo, or declare politicians as super special internet citizens with enforced online political immunity.

If you can't tell, neither of those are acceptable options to me. The former is something websites should be able free to police on their own, the latter basically breaks the idea of a free internet.

So instead, why not legislate that Official State Channels are the only means of conveying Official State Information, and any other business is just a rebroadcaster: Not allowed to maliciously alter the content being broadcast, only independently audited unbiased samples, but not required to broadcast it? Anything not from official(tm) state-controlled sources is to be treated as no different from anybody elses the ramblings: Potentially useful for the public to know about, but not something anybody has an obligation to carry.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 12:38:12 pm by MorleyDev »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43427 on: January 19, 2021, 12:14:00 pm »

24 hours until the end. You have but a limited time to look up all the QAnon people predicting the storm and to prepare to laugh at them.

Also be grateful Trump hasn't decided to nuke anyone (yet) in this past few months after losing.
Do it whilst listening to komm susser tod for maximum experience

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43428 on: January 19, 2021, 12:42:15 pm »

Down with the monopolies!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43429 on: January 19, 2021, 12:44:05 pm »

I think I'm finally on the side of Skynet here. This is a problem where every solution that involves humans runs into issues because humans are innately biased. Of course, as youtube's auto-moderation has famously shown, the current problem with trusting an AI with making political decisions is it's still going to inherit the biases of its creators, and inherit biases based on its purpose...

We're back to "return to monke" as the sanest option again, aren't we?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #43430 on: January 19, 2021, 12:47:54 pm »

REJECT MEAT, EMBRACE TRANSCENDANCE
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43431 on: January 19, 2021, 12:51:37 pm »

We're back to "return to monke" as the sanest option again, aren't we?
* anarcho-primitivism has entered chat
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43433 on: January 19, 2021, 01:08:31 pm »

So instead, why not legislate that Official State Channels are the only means of conveying Official State Information, and any other business is just a rebroadcaster: Not allowed to maliciously alter the content being broadcast, only independently audited unbiased samples, but not required to broadcast it? Anything not from official(tm) state-controlled sources is to be treated as no different from anybody elses the ramblings: Potentially useful for the public to know about, but not something anybody has an obligation to carry.

Surprisingly, I agree with you.

Part of the issue here is that, y'know, Trump was supposed to divest, and Trump was supposed to not give his children governmental roles, and Trump was not supposed to keep Tweeting personal business as President. Can you imagine the official Angela Merkel account being like "I just took a shit" or "these Friends reruns are perf" -- no, of course not.

RT

Russia Today, are you kidding
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43434 on: January 19, 2021, 01:15:28 pm »

I'd prefer if there were no official state accounts on twitter at all.  Maybe nobody on twitter except cringe weirdos like me.

There was a writeup on something, can't remember where it is, but a chinese state account posting on twitter that Taiwan's PM will be "wiped out" if she continues provoking China.  Considering a war in Taiwan will definitely begin with a decapitation strike on their capitol, there's no way to interpret a tweet like that as anything but a death threat, but the tweet stayed up.  And of course the weird uighur genocide posts that have popped up recently like calling uighur women baby factories.  I think that one eventually got a disinfo flag, but not nearly the way they got on Trump.

Not to focus on China or anything, just moderating a platform that includes cringe weirdos and official state accounts doesn't seem tenable.
Shoes...

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #43435 on: January 19, 2021, 01:17:52 pm »

Obviously something is gonna happen tomorrow. What will it be?
-FEMA gulags?
-general guy seizing power?
-Hulk Hogan and the NWO using steel chairs to take over?
-Joe Biden ripping his face off to reveal mecha Xi Jingping?
-sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows?
-Kamala dabbing until the sun goes down?
-suddenly zombies?
-JEB?!?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:20:34 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #43436 on: January 19, 2021, 01:22:17 pm »

I'd prefer if there were no official state accounts on twitter at all.  Maybe nobody on twitter except cringe weirdos like me.

There was a writeup on something, can't remember where it is, but a chinese state account posting on twitter that Taiwan's PM will be "wiped out" if she continues provoking China.  Considering a war in Taiwan will definitely begin with a decapitation strike on their capitol, there's no way to interpret a tweet like that as anything but a death threat, but the tweet stayed up.  And of course the weird uighur genocide posts that have popped up recently like calling uighur women baby factories.  I think that one eventually got a disinfo flag, but not nearly the way they got on Trump.

Not to focus on China or anything, just moderating a platform that includes cringe weirdos and official state accounts doesn't seem tenable.

I could sort of see a more reasonable version of twitter kicking out all official government accounts with a statement to the effect of "seriously, guys? go use your own platforms, putting us in charge of this is a horrible idea."

But that would require a private corporation to acknowledge their own limits, hehe.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43438 on: January 19, 2021, 01:37:13 pm »

Obviously something is gonna happen tomorrow. What will it be?
-FEMA gulags?
-general guy seizing power?
-Hulk Hogan and the NWO using steel chairs to take over?
-Joe Biden ripping his face off to reveal mecha Xi Jingping?
-sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows?
-Kamala dabbing until the sun goes down?
-suddenly zombies?
-JEB?!?

No, none of these.
I know exactly what's going to happen, but telling you now would spoil the surprise.

Let's just say, if you've been nice to me you have nothing to fear
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43439 on: January 19, 2021, 01:46:53 pm »

I would love zombies, but slow ones please.

But probably it will be nothing at all. Reallity is boring or exciting exactly were you do not expect it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 2894 2895 [2896] 2897 2898 ... 3514