Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2953 2954 [2955] 2956 2957 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3588380 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #44310 on: March 09, 2021, 07:26:35 pm »

This (child migrant facilities/cages/etc.) actually got covered in the network evening news, albeit erring on the side of kid gloves. Still in the honeymoon phase, I suppose.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44311 on: March 09, 2021, 10:00:26 pm »

I mean, it's no longer legal on the federal level to deny trans people health care in the middle of a pandemic,

Migrants with children will be held a maximum of 72 hours,

I'm not saying it's good. He's still an American president and he's still pro-cop and pro-prison. There is a difference, though.

Yeah, and to add internationally he's:
- Rejoined the Paris Climate Accord
- Rejoined the WHO
- Renewed the START treaty with Russia

Sure that won't solve climate catastrophe, epidemic or nuclear armageddon but at least it's a couple of steps toward re-engaging with the rest of the goddam fucked up world.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44312 on: March 09, 2021, 11:07:06 pm »

I didn't get my jetsons future three weeks into the biden admin, that means he's a shit president.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44313 on: March 10, 2021, 12:34:04 pm »

This (child migrant facilities/cages/etc.) actually got covered in the network evening news, albeit erring on the side of kid gloves. Still in the honeymoon phase, I suppose.

It's been over a decade. They just don't want to admit to what's happening.

And I'd believe the 72 hours more if children weren't separated from the parents first.

I didn't get my jetsons future three weeks into the biden admin, that means he's a shit president.

Plenty of time to cut checks to large corporations, commit war crimes, and make sure minimum wage doesn't get voted on (although the last part is more Harris' job).

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44314 on: March 10, 2021, 12:49:45 pm »

It's been over a decade. They just don't want to admit to what's happening.

And I'd believe the 72 hours more if children weren't separated from the parents first.

It got a wave of coverage under Trump, long after his honeymoon phase ended. (Related to his administration's explicitly-cruel augmentations of the policy.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44315 on: March 10, 2021, 06:30:40 pm »

Plenty of time to cut checks to large corporations

[CITATION NEEDED]

, commit war crimes

[CITATION NEEDED]

, and make sure minimum wage doesn't get voted on (although the last part is more Harris' job).

The minimum wage increase had a vote. 54 Senators voted against it. What, short of dissolving the Senate and ruling as a dictator, do you think he could have done to prevent that?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44316 on: March 10, 2021, 07:11:11 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:54:20 pm by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44317 on: March 10, 2021, 07:17:22 pm »

>"cuckoldry"
>insta-ignore

I'm gonna buy a banjo.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44318 on: March 10, 2021, 07:19:40 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:00:01 pm by dragdeler »
let

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44319 on: March 10, 2021, 07:22:34 pm »

[...]
I'm not saying it's good. He's still an American president and he's still pro-cop and pro-prison. There is a difference, though.
He did also sign an order that private prisons will no longer be used on a federal level, so that's something.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44320 on: March 10, 2021, 10:05:24 pm »

1.9 trillion bill passed. If that were divided among the population, that would be 5k per person. Instead, we get 1.4k.

Yeah, and to add internationally he's:
- Rejoined the Paris Climate Accord
- Rejoined the WHO
- Renewed the START treaty with Russia

Sure that won't solve climate catastrophe, epidemic or nuclear armageddon but at least it's a couple of steps toward re-engaging with the rest of the goddam fucked up world.

Did he renegotiate on the issues that caused Trump to leave them in the first place?

Trump left the PCA because he claimed the restrictions on China's emissions were ridiculously insufficient compared to everyone else, which would give them an unfair edge economically as they continued to pollute.

He left the WHO because they bought China's lie that there was no human to human transmission of the virus. There was also an official that pretended not to hear questions about having Taiwan join the WHO. (Taiwan was also warning about how dangerous the virus was while China was downplaying it.)

IIRC, Trump cancelled extension of the START treaty because Russia was violating it with their hypersonic missiles.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:08:00 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44321 on: March 10, 2021, 10:16:23 pm »

Did he renegotiate on the issues that caused Trump to leave them in the first place?

I wasn't aware that one could 'renegotiate' Trump's megalomania.   :P

More seriously I was not aware than any negotiation took place originally (on the part of Trump).  Just unilateral isolationism.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44322 on: March 10, 2021, 10:24:31 pm »

More seriously I was not aware than any negotiation took place originally (on the part of Trump).  Just unilateral isolationism.
That's because it wasn't reported on.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44323 on: March 10, 2021, 10:38:16 pm »

IIRC, Trump cancelled extension of the START treaty because Russia was violating it with their hypersonic missiles.

You're mixing up NEW START with the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty. Negotiations on the former never ended during the Trump administration, though they were stalled. Trump withdrew from the latter on the grounds that Russia's SS-26 Stone/9K720 Iskander Short Range Ballistic Missile system violated it. An additional reason for the cancellation was that China was not a signatory, and their deployment of the Dong-Feng 26 Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile was a threat for which the US needed to develop a counter.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44324 on: March 11, 2021, 12:28:14 am »

As much bad press as the WHO got over COVID, the sheer neglect that Trump admin showed during the pandemic should disabuse any notion of leaving the WHO having anything to do with public health policy.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 2953 2954 [2955] 2956 2957 ... 3514