Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3049 3050 [3051] 3052 3053 ... 3512

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3577419 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45750 on: July 23, 2021, 06:54:49 pm »

Mississippi asked Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade yesterday.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #45751 on: July 24, 2021, 12:15:19 am »

Darkling was the day everything turned around for me. It's my reason to log in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45753 on: August 06, 2021, 03:27:57 pm »

I have mixed feelings about this, on one hand, I don’t like my country meddling in other affairs, on the other hand, protecting a democratic nation from a dictatorship sounds like a good thing

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #45754 on: August 06, 2021, 07:52:12 pm »

Don't feel too bad, both are pretty terrible with the whole democracy thing. Taiwan was basically a colony of China that were suffering from cultural erasure by the mainland big-shots who moved in after being defeated by the revolutionaries in the mainland. Basically they got in and started micromanaging the shit out of the island after losing all their relevance. "Taiwan" today, or more accurately, "The Republic of China", claims ownership of the whole nation of China, both the island and the mainland territory, where they are very unpopular (Well, to the people  who even acknowledge their existence. It's like a dude living in a bathtub in your garden claiming to own your house.)

Taiwan suffered under autocratic hereditary mainland ruling until the redemocratization in the nineties (Yes, they are even younger in democracy than my country, and we barely got 32 years now.), and arguably only had disputed elections during the 2020 elections when the DPP got majority in the legislative, who claim to want independence, but who everyone knows won't do jack for it.

In it's current state, it is pretty safe to say Taiwan gets way more rep than it deserves. Let's hope that with the recent developments they can truly become an independent nation, and not the playground of a dead government's remains.

As for China itself, even if you discount all the propaganda around it, its clear they have way more important stuff to deal with than seeking control over a territory whose populace couldn't give two shits. Stopping the 'indirect elections for the executive' bullshit that they have been dragging their feet on for decades already would be a great start. China may be democratic, but suffers from the exact same problem the US does: Sure, you don't need to be affiliated to a party to compete, but no independent will ever amount to anything, and it's on purpose.
In a time before time, I had a name.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45755 on: August 07, 2021, 08:46:25 am »

So the eviction moratoriums have been extended.

Note though there's no relief for mortgage defaults - what is going to happen to all these renters when their landlords foreclose because they haven't had any revenue?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45756 on: August 07, 2021, 09:14:56 am »

Property will be consolidated under a handful of corporate landlords and neo-feudalism will begin.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45757 on: August 07, 2021, 09:15:43 am »

So the eviction moratoriums have been extended.

Note though there's no relief for mortgage defaults - what is going to happen to all these renters when their landlords foreclose because they haven't had any revenue?

They will actually have the chance to own something. Such a thing is to be avoided, and I assume we'll see handouts being given to big business again, so they can keep preventing the poor to improve their lives.

Property will be consolidated under a handful of corporate landlords and neo-feudalism will begin.

We already got that.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45758 on: August 07, 2021, 09:31:33 am »

They will actually have the chance to own something.

They still owe all the rent when the moratorium ends.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45759 on: August 07, 2021, 10:59:19 am »

For the... Emperor???
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45760 on: August 07, 2021, 11:01:28 am »

There's something similar with the Energy Company I'm working for. Throughout 2020, noone's energy was shutoff due to the covid pandemic, but the bills were still racking up. So I'm occasionally getting calls from people that have $5,000-$10,000 dollar energy bills, because now that the pandemic grace period is over, it's time to pay up and they have no recourse but to beg for government assistance. It's really disheartening to have to just give them the numbers for these and say there's nothing I can do.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #45761 on: August 07, 2021, 03:48:50 pm »

I just want to say that artificial meat will enable mass production of manflesh for consumption.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #45762 on: August 07, 2021, 03:51:20 pm »

Soylent Green takes place in 2022, ya know
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45763 on: August 07, 2021, 04:18:08 pm »

I'm more wondering how long it will take to be turned into sex toys
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45764 on: August 07, 2021, 04:55:59 pm »

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Pages: 1 ... 3049 3050 [3051] 3052 3053 ... 3512