Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3073 3074 [3075] 3076 3077 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593590 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46110 on: August 31, 2021, 04:26:21 pm »

Goddamn appaling and disgusting new anti-abortion law in Texas.

...6 weeks... A lot of women don't even know they're pregant after six weeks.

The new law also makes some horrible scenarios possible.

Imagine.. A girl is raped and gets pregnant. Her mother drives her to an abortion clinic.
The rapist files charges against the mother... He wins, and now the mother has to pay 10000 dollars to her daughter's rapist (plus the costs of trial).

Also, Texas is now the new Eastern Germany. Report your neighbors to the Stasi everyone!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46111 on: September 01, 2021, 06:31:22 am »

Yep, just fascists doing fascist things. They know their ideology is twisted, unpopular, and illegal so they use this shitty wording to get their illegally stacked supreme court to allow "citizens to sue other citizens".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46112 on: September 01, 2021, 06:44:24 am »

Wtf.... Im not crazy about abortion but holly shit that is retarded. I always wondered why a anticonceptive methods are not standard issue after a rape, you know, the pill of the day after to abvoid all that shit in the first place. Of course that would only work for the ones that inmediately report or have the chance and or knowledge of such methods.

As always, blanket laws cant just make justice for this kind of horrific issues.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #46113 on: September 01, 2021, 12:11:47 pm »

My country, where abortion is already illegal, has had some weird moves with abortion lately, including picketing and 'slut calling' outside a hospital where a child who was raped was having an abortion (which is legal) due to medical concerns (certain death). The reactionaries here love copying the most appalling trends from the US, I wonder how this will translate here as it develops.
In a time before time, I had a name.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46114 on: September 01, 2021, 01:19:28 pm »

Spoiler: mean (click to show/hide)
let

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46115 on: September 01, 2021, 05:27:34 pm »

I always wondered why a anticonceptive methods are not standard issue after a rape, you know, the pill of the day after to abvoid all that shit in the first place.

I forget who said this, but it's because unborn children are an extremely easy and convenient group to advocate for. They can't ask you for anything or tell you you are wrong, someone else has to care for them, and it just so happens that it's more profitable to arrest people for free prison labor than it is to provide them with contraceptives.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46116 on: September 02, 2021, 11:52:39 am »

Yeah ... this is bad.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46117 on: September 02, 2021, 12:19:48 pm »

And apparently there's precedent for snitching bounty hunters.
SEC. 3. And be it further enacted, That all and every person so building, fitting out, equipping, loading, or otherwise preparing or sending away, any ship or vessel, knowing or intending that the same shall be employed in such trade or business, from and after the first day of January, one thousand eight hundred and eight, contrary to the true intent and meaning of this act, or any ways aiding or abetting therein, shall severally forfeit and pay twenty thousand dollars, one moiety thereof to the use of the United States, and the other moiety to the use of any person or persons who shall sue for and prosecute the same to effect.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46118 on: September 02, 2021, 01:25:11 pm »

I don’t see anything about bounty hunters, also why is 1888 called the Year of Our Lord on that website and section 1?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46119 on: September 02, 2021, 01:27:16 pm »

'the year of our lord' was the normal way to say what year it is back in those days. It's the the english version of 'anno domini (AD)'.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:30:27 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46120 on: September 02, 2021, 01:47:11 pm »

Still heard in some spanish speaking countries when you want to sound old timey  like you using Ye.

2021 de la era de nuestro señor Jesus Cristo.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46121 on: September 02, 2021, 02:51:28 pm »

I don’t see anything about bounty hunters, also why is 1888 called the Year of Our Lord on that website and section 1?

The "fee" of $10,000 is paid to the person who sued and brought them to civil court if they win. That's a bounty with extra steps.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46122 on: September 02, 2021, 04:15:45 pm »

The "fun" thing is it seems to be wildly shittily written -- to the tune of there being no penalties for frivolous suits or filing from out of state and a burden of proof of "anonymous rumor" to sue. Current plan from a lot of sources seems to be "sue every person in texas and rake in 10k from anyone that doesn't show up in court".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #46123 on: September 02, 2021, 04:36:55 pm »

I saw some panic about the supreme court response to it as of this moment- think someone said that the SC won't hear the case about the new Texas law at present because it hasn't worked its way up through the lower courts or appeals, but will when it's proceeded to them as per process. It's issue with process, not a protection of the new law, they'll hear it when it gets to them as normal.

I hope Texas gets sued three ways to Sunday over this shit so it gets up to the supreme court sooner. Fuck you and your regressive, degenerate political dick-waving, Texas.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46124 on: September 02, 2021, 05:43:55 pm »

If SCOTUS for some narrow reason finds it to be constitutional (e.g. "private citizen" not "state" hence no 14th due process violation), it could still be salvaged by making the enforcement of the lawsuits by the executive unconstitutional.

And then we might also see some Marbury v. Madison-grade shenanigans as SCOTUS decides whether to nope itself out of the "state" or equivalent definition, or abdicate some of its near-unlimited power (refusal to pay is tantamount to contempt of court) in order to also to restrict the judiciary through the Marshals et al.

'Tis an open question how credit bureaus will respond, though.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 3073 3074 [3075] 3076 3077 ... 3515