Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3105 3106 [3107] 3108 3109 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3535104 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46590 on: October 26, 2021, 11:36:24 am »

One could make a uninformed guess that the police officers would pass some kind of training in local laws in the least, or a complete retraining, depending on the state they come from.

Unless they're really strapped for hires this seems like an inefficient approach and would require some 'detraining' in addition to the training, but I guess efficiency isn't the reason for this to begin with.

(Admittedly this is at least better than the 'let's temporarily bring in officers from other states' that some governors were bandying about earlier this year.)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46591 on: October 26, 2021, 12:47:41 pm »

The problem with the idea of good cops is that we have examples of them. People like Adrian Schoolcraft and Chief Dion Boyd.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46592 on: October 26, 2021, 02:14:07 pm »

I mean, sure some of the previous training migth be worthy for sure. All this is of course purely theorical, spherical cops in a vacuum approach.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46593 on: October 26, 2021, 02:28:57 pm »

I mean, sure some of the previous training migth be worthy for sure. All this is of course purely theorical, spherical cops in a vacuum approach.

From what we've seen, all of the training is to be better at shooting, shoot to kill, and be less afraid to shoot civilians.

https://medium.com/technology-taxes-education-columns-by-david-grace/police-are-trained-to-shoot-to-kill-6681c49015dc
https://www.insider.com/bulletproof-dave-grossman-police-trainer-teaching-officers-how-to-kill-2020-6

The current solution proposed by politicians is to give more money for more training and more expensive military equipment.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46594 on: October 26, 2021, 02:55:22 pm »

One could make a uninformed guess...

Why did I read that as 'a ununiformed guess'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46595 on: October 26, 2021, 03:04:27 pm »

Indeed; my take is we need to start turning police back into guardians instead of continuing on the path to them being warriors.

EDIT:  Example: replace their weapons with shields.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:06:56 pm by McTraveller »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46597 on: October 26, 2021, 04:28:49 pm »

Is he trying to make a state military? Or a police state?
None, but the migthy combination of both... the State State... wait what?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #46598 on: October 29, 2021, 06:19:25 am »

If the police weren't corrupt and biased I'd have no problem with them. But as it stands, MCAB (most cops are bastards).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46599 on: October 30, 2021, 01:03:55 am »

It's ACAB.
Black lives matter.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46600 on: October 30, 2021, 03:03:31 am »

I don't think that anyone who says ACAB thinks "literally every police officer is a bastard who doesn't care about systemic racism". But it gets pretty close (and it sounds catchier).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46601 on: October 30, 2021, 04:21:51 am »

The people who coined the phrase "ACAB" are also the ones who push the idea of eliminating all police forces and replacing them with insane vigilantes "community policing". They do, in fact, mean "anybody who is, was, or thought about being a cop is a bastard".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #46602 on: October 30, 2021, 04:43:18 am »

I don't think that's correct. ACAB roots in the British punk scene and seems to have originally been 'everyone hates cops' (true) originally. Now it is a slogan for 'policing makes you a bad person.'

The core of the argument is that modern police institutions fundamentally are corrupt and unjust. MCAB is missing the point. People who are saying ACAB, as Lord Shonus says, are actually saying they want to restructure the police in a just way. That could take many forms, not only community policing.

The important thing is there is obvious evidence that current police systems don't work, and that other systems have shown good results on a small scale, to not try them is to retreat further in cruelty and injustice.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46603 on: October 30, 2021, 06:47:28 am »

I think you might have misjudged the tone of Shonus'  post somewhat.
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #46604 on: October 30, 2021, 07:07:55 am »

See I do believe in police reform. I just don't want it to be replaced with community vigilantes because those can be racist too, thus solving nothing. The problem (at least in my eyes) is not that cops exist, it's that it's too easy for a racist cop to abuse his power. Vetting them for racism would make me actually pretty much content but that's hard to do without corruption or invasion of privacy.
I don't think that's correct. ACAB roots in the British punk scene and seems to have originally been 'everyone hates cops' (true) originally. Now it is a slogan for 'policing makes you a bad person.'

The core of the argument is that modern police institutions fundamentally are corrupt and unjust. MCAB is missing the point. People who are saying ACAB, as Lord Shonus says, are actually saying they want to restructure the police in a just way. That could take many forms, not only community policing.

The important thing is there is obvious evidence that current police systems don't work, and that other systems have shown good results on a small scale, to not try them is to retreat further in cruelty and injustice.
I didn't know this and honestly I agree.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 3105 3106 [3107] 3108 3109 ... 3511