Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3108 3109 [3110] 3111 3112 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3596174 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #46635 on: November 02, 2021, 02:33:52 am »

This (the antivax thing) is what happens when you take things meant as an allegory (like 70% of the Bible I'd say) literally.

I'm fairly confident most christians don't actually read the bible.

My experience has been that the more "religious" a person is, the less they represtent the actual values of their religion.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46636 on: November 02, 2021, 06:12:18 am »

Well it's also important noting that each Christian branch defines the source of their values differently; it's mostly a protestant thing to go sola scriptura

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #46637 on: November 02, 2021, 06:44:08 am »

This (the antivax thing) is what happens when you take things meant as an allegory (like 70% of the Bible I'd say) literally.

My experience has been that the more "religious" a person is, the less they represtent the actual values of their religion.
Yeah, despite what I say sometimes I'm no Bible-thumper. It's almost completely personal for me. I don't bother anyone regarding matters of religion and I expect nobody else to do so. Even towards Satanists, it's live-and-let-live. You can worship anything, just don't (try to) force it on me.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46638 on: November 02, 2021, 06:55:05 am »

As it should be with a lot of things, from sexual preferences to religion, they are nobody else business but yours.
When getting married (we did it in the catholic church despite me being a catholic raised turned agnostic and she what passes by protestant here because her church would not marry us) I remember the words of the priest on a interview we had with him.
"I see the bible like tv history. The old testament is like those old black and white tv, lot of static and you barely get something, then as you read forwards you tune better,  and you start to get a better understanding but there's something still missing. Keep reading and by the time of the new testament the tv is a crt color one and as you keep going eventually it's one of those fancy super hd ones and the message Jesus gave us is pretty clear: Love. Love each other as you would love you. Period, and what this means? Respect, care and tolerate each other regardless of whatever."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 01:48:46 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46639 on: November 02, 2021, 10:02:13 am »

When I was early-teens (pretty much areligious[1]) some of the usual suspects came in to school and basically handed out handy-sized bibles and 'answered any questions' in their gentle happy-clappy version of a kind of missionary-style zeal. Somewhere I still have mine, I'm sure, but it's not where I immediately thought it might be (probably in a different pile of half-forgotten tomes, slid into a gap it nicely slots into) so who exactly these Gideon-maybes were I don't currently know.

I think I was mostly dissapointed that this was the New Testament, only, as I clearly remember discovering when I had browsed through looking for the 'intetesting stuff'; which I later realised is probably OT, on the whole. I read what I got, though. Not sure I could ever quote chapter and verse[2], but I think I get the general gist of the bits that I do subscribe to, and it meshes well with the gist of any other 'decent' religion (also humanism, Bill And Ted, etc).

BTW, super-coincidental honourable mention goes to the latest xkcd, in the context of where this thread's current conversation is going... ;)

[1] I'd years before been registered as a Cub Scout as "'CofE', I suppose", because they needed something to write in their little ledger, alongside emergency contact details, and in general the question didn't ever really come up because I could sing hymns in School Assembly as good (or as bad) as I could sing any other song they shone up on the OHP screen for hundreds of kids to attempt to reproduce synchronously if individually atonously.

[2] John:11:35!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 10:04:00 am by Starver »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46640 on: November 02, 2021, 12:23:40 pm »

As the apparent Token Bible-Thumping Christian, I reserve the right to go on multi paragraph tirades regarding conversations like this.

This is however, also completely accurate in my experience as well. The loud, tradition-and-ritual obsessed folks are (usually) the ones with the least interest in leading a life that actually reflects the positive values taught therein.

IMO the huge logical disparity between a religion that purports to teach positive values and the large number of its "followers" that practice the exact opposite results from the altogether too common idea that religion needs to be in an authoritative governmental or political position. Should be as separate as possible, otherwise you start getting what amounts to a natural supremacy doctrine. Doesn't surprise me at all how often that parallels beliefs of racism/classism/etc.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46641 on: November 02, 2021, 12:33:31 pm »

I want to mention that Judaism uses the Old Testament but enriches it with various commentaries; and while heavily based on scripture, focuses on arguing with, interpreting, and doing the scripture, as opposed to obeying the scripture. People often treat Judaism as Christianity light but it's an equally developed and very different religion, whose central emphasis is on good works.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46642 on: November 02, 2021, 12:47:16 pm »

Note: most churches really frown on you doing the scripture during service
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46643 on: November 02, 2021, 01:34:06 pm »

@Duna I think there are more of "us" here than you might know :)

I also am impressed about the insight of the Founding Fathers and their attempt at separation of church and state, for the reasons you mentioned.

I think it's a terrible trend to have religious ideas codified in law, insomuch as those religious ideas go beyond the basic civil laws; I mean "don't murder, don't steal, don't peddle lies" are pretty basic regardless of religion.

Sadly society (and politics) seems to have lost the plot on "don't peddle lies", and the other two are under pressure as well, if you take the broad approach of including "oppression" under murder, and people no longer putting any value in a social contract in general.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46644 on: November 02, 2021, 02:02:44 pm »

The problem with anything basically is when it goes too far, and today society is conditioned to take extreme positions and poles. That your my way or the highway, if you are not with me you are against me attitude is really tiresome.

When I was younger the discussion of why people are so polarized and took politics like rabid sports fans supporting a team came up quite often when debating Chavists here. Also it was quite hard for them to comprehend that I wanted a change not to fuck them over but so everybody could have a better place to live, but they never once understood the concept of everyone having decent lives, it was always either you or me.

Extremes, on every level you might have them, are bad.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 03:15:40 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46645 on: November 02, 2021, 03:01:23 pm »

@Duna I think there are more of "us" here than you might know :)

Yeah, but I'm the one who goes on rants the most, I think :>

I want to mention that Judaism uses the Old Testament but enriches it with various commentaries; and while heavily based on scripture, focuses on arguing with, interpreting, and doing the scripture, as opposed to obeying the scripture. People often treat Judaism as Christianity light but it's an equally developed and very different religion, whose central emphasis is on good works.

This is really, really the right way to go about it from a Christian standpoint as well, and it's a major failing that more arguing/interpreting/doing is not focused upon as a matter of course. I have the impression, and I obviously do not have the personal experience to say this with confidence, that this is more of a problem with American Christianity than it is elsewhere. There is and has been a HUGE conflation with American Nationalism and Christianity for my entire life. That REAL Christianity exists here in America, right next to Apple Pie and Backyard BBQ, and that God specifically identifies American Christianity as the standard.

It really relegates Christianity here as an extension of secular Nationalism, which is awful, and dangerous. I believe this is why there's such a huge conflation with the right and American Christianity.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46646 on: November 02, 2021, 03:47:42 pm »

Yeeeeees, but Judaism is orthoprax, as opposed to Christianity's orthodox. They are different ':V

And Judaism in particular considers free access to abortion as a clear-cut matter of religious freedom! Freedom of religion respecting Judaism would require all people to have access to abortion as they desired it ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46647 on: November 02, 2021, 03:53:06 pm »

I'm just gonna put this in ameripol, cause it probably effect the US anyway

But videos being leaked on twitter showing an endless stream of military vehicles+missiles+troops+equipment going through/to wenzhou which looking on google maps is right near taiwan pretty much. Then they just told everyone in china to stock up on emergency rations.

Currently only one tweet I can find about it, this morning there were more videos up so I dunno what happened to the other ones

https://twitter.com/BtcAkira/status/1455473010987569155

I mean its twitter, but I've actually seen useful stuff come out of north korea of uhm, probably things meant not to be seen (well things they wouldn't want you to see), of all places even though only seen it twice, on twitter (both times it disappeared quite quickly pretty much almost as soon as it popped up) so its not all useless if want to find more "hidden" info. But I don't really pay attention to them so maybe its more common than not.

Either way, seems they are really gearing up for something.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46648 on: November 02, 2021, 04:08:35 pm »

You know when I read about asking people to stock up food and that it was due some electron and fuel rationing I tried very hard to ignore it could be a Taiwan thing.... thanks for bursting my happiness bubble.

Hopefully is some bravado or bully movement to pressure Taiwan to give in or something.... would really hate a big war or even a global one if things get enough traction... many jerks would jump at the chace of playing war right now.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46649 on: November 02, 2021, 04:11:22 pm »

And Judaism in particular considers free access to abortion as a clear-cut matter of religious freedom! Freedom of religion respecting Judaism would require all people to have access to abortion as they desired it ...

Sure, but if you're only going to count progressive branches then that goes for Christianity too.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3108 3109 [3110] 3111 3112 ... 3515